Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem...Sequel?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • quadfather 7 Feb 2013 13:14:42 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know it's not the latest of news, but it's still the latest word on a potential sequel. I'm just not sure how many staff SK have left though?

But if it happens, they'll be no excuse to not buy a Wii U for me now :-)

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• MetalDog 7 Feb 2013 13:24:55 23,723 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That would tempt me towards wiiudom. ED is excellent.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• kalel 7 Feb 2013 13:27:00 88,338 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's a whole load of 2+2=5 in that story, but if it happened and lived up to the original (and was exclusive), it would be a game that would make me consider a WiiU.
  • quadfather 7 Feb 2013 13:31:40 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Agreed.

I fired the original up again the other day - still holding up really well.

I can't imagine how good it would be on a new console

• LeoliansBro 7 Feb 2013 13:33:47 44,503 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there a reason this would automatically be for the WiiU?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Gambit1977 7 Feb 2013 13:36:14 10,160 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Agreed.

I fired the original up again the other day - still holding up really well.

I can't imagine how good it would be on a new console
    I imagine they could do some quality effects to scare the pap out of you, by using the gamepad.
  • vyseofhr 7 Feb 2013 13:37:01 855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And further to LLB's point... didn't Epic and Silicon Knights sue each other?

I'd love it to be true, but I'm not sure ED2 will ever happen.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• quadfather 7 Feb 2013 13:41:58 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Wikipedia says that there were some legal issues between Epic and SK, but I don't know whether that was before or after the original link on this thread.

@LeoliansBro - I can only go on the original link

But then this paints a more disappointing picture. And that's the latest information I can find at the moment.

Edited by quadfather at 13:44:01 07-02-2013

• javvyman 7 Feb 2013 14:13:09 716 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Let's face it, Silicon Knights never really put out a game all by themselves, and they have a very poor track record with delays without outside help.
    If I recall, ED was long in development hell until Nintendo came along and helped them push it along.
    I also seem to recall them having plenty of help with MGS TTS from Konami and Nintendo.
    Too Human was supposed with come out on the PS1 then GC, before it was finally released on the Xbox 360 after 3 years of solid development... still ended up being a mess.

I think SK no longer have any talent left, and are down to their last 4 staff members now. They'd be better off selling the IP off TBH.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Feb 2013 14:15:21 11,334 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    javvyman wrote:
    Let's face it, Silicon Knights never really put out a game all by themselves, and they have a very poor track record with delays without outside help.
    If I recall, ED was long in development hell until Nintendo came along and helped them push it along.
    I also seem to recall them having plenty of help with MGS TTS from Konami and Nintendo.
    Too Human was supposed with come out on the PS1 then GC, before it was finally released on the Xbox 360 after 3 years of solid development... still ended up being a mess.

I think SK no longer have any talent left, and are down to their last 4 staff members now. They'd be better off selling the IP off TBH.
    This, they're dead.
    Another ex Nintendo 2nd party bites the dust..

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• MetalDog 7 Feb 2013 14:28:20 23,723 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh well.

Haven't played ED for ages actually, might fire up the gamecube this weekend.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• quadfather 7 Feb 2013 14:38:28 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @MetalDog - It's still ace :) I'm on chapter 3 \o/

• jellyhead 7 Feb 2013 14:46:48 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear It's not like Silicon Knights didn't author their own demise though. It's a shame as they were going for years and years but they did it to themselves or rather they let the boss do it to them.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 7 Feb 2013 14:49:15 10,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do Silicon Knights (still) own the IP? If not, surely Nintendo could hand it to Retro Studios or someone of that ilk to work on a sequel.
  • Blerk Moderator 7 Feb 2013 14:57:51 48,225 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I suspect there's as much chance of ever seeing this as there is of seeing the other two parts of the Too Human trilogy.
  • Armoured_Bear 7 Feb 2013 15:10:28 11,334 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear It's not like Silicon Knights didn't author their own demise though. It's a shame as they were going for years and years but they did it to themselves or rather they let the boss do it to them.
    Indeed, a massive fuck up seemingly not helped by Dyack's enormous ego.

• quadfather 7 Feb 2013 15:12:59 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Ignatius_Cheese - I'm trying to work that out - I don't know whether it's still SK or Nintendo. I thought I read somewhere it was Nintendo, but I can't find the article now

• Armoured_Bear 7 Feb 2013 15:17:49 11,334 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I suspect there's as much chance of ever seeing this as there is of seeing the other two parts of the Too Human trilogy.
    Indeed, the only chance at all is if Nintendo own the IP and, as I_C suggests give it to someone else.

• quadfather 7 Feb 2013 15:37:45 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Still, while we're still talking about the game

• javvyman 7 Feb 2013 15:39:39 716 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SK own the rights to the IP, but Nintendo published the original game, so I don't think Nintendo can do anything about a new game in the series being released. If SK were to somehow try and release the original ED though, then Nintendo would have to sign off on it.

I agree with pretty much everyone here about getting the IP off to somebody else. My first choice is obviously Nintendo as it would be a nice fit with the gamepad (maybe release an HD version of ED on the Eshop?)

After that, i'd go with -

Yager Development (made Spec Ops : The Line)
    Ubisoft (Montpellier)
    Rocksteady

In that order too.
  • vyseofhr 7 Feb 2013 15:40:18 855 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just bought it for a fiver. This thread, amongst other recent coverage, has prompted me to play it again.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• quadfather 7 Feb 2013 15:42:40 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @vyseofhr - Something good has come of this then :)

I never completed it originally - always got stuck on a monster in the ww 1 level.

Definitely want to see it through this time, and maybe try the multiple playthrough secret ending too

• RedSparrows 7 Feb 2013 15:46:21 23,236 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Too Human wasn't a technical mess in its final form, only a bit of one design wise. It was still great, if you're like me and don't mind certain issues.

The delays were technically based: different engines and the like. SK has been mis-managed and mis-firing, but to write them off as a totality ignores Soul Reaver, Twin Snakes, ED, and the fact that TH had some really interesting and fun parts, coupled with some shit.
  • jellyhead 7 Feb 2013 16:19:50 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The 30 second delay between resurrection in Too Human was a pain in the ass for my OCD. I had to keep a mag next to me so i could read a paragraph or two each time.

I enjoyed the game though. The combat system was great once you got used to it.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Rodriguez 12 Feb 2013 21:25:19 1,097 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering... fearing... doubting..." E.A.Poe. ;)

I loved Eternal Darkness, definitely one of my favourite ever GC games. I played it through fully 4 times, aligning myself with each of the different gods (the fourth play-through let you align yourself with the 'God of Chaos' Mantorok and his purple coloured magic!)

One interesting thing of note is that I remembered reading something about Nintendo patenting 'insanity' as a gameplay mechanic a good few years ago now. I've just checked to make sure I didn't just imagine that and yep - here's a story from 2005 that confirms this was the case!
  • javvyman 12 Feb 2013 21:37:10 716 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeh, I always thought it was strange how no one else used such an ingenious system in their games, not including Arkham Asylum of course.
    Maybe the patent is the reason?
  • quadfather 13 Feb 2013 09:35:40 12,859 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I can only think of amnesia and cthulhu: dcote that have it. And the latter only slightly

3 games in total. That can't be right? There must be more?

Edited by quadfather at 09:35:50 13-02-2013

• Deleted user 15 March 2013 21:05:39
    Eternal Darkness gets its 5th trademark extension
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next