Red flashing light

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • feeg86 6 Feb 2013 20:17:44 564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So before settling down to have a look at the PSN sale and like a bad dream; 3 beeps, turns off and won't turn on again.

Now I'm over the grief (6 years old bless the old dear), I manages to get the Mass Effect disk out using the electric / eject recommendation. What I'm concerned about is the save files, demo's, trophies, films, basically everything that was on there. I replaced the original 40 gig hard drive with a 300 gig. Is everything saved independently to that hard drive that I can just take out and transfer into a 2nd hand unit that I intend to purchase (In time for MGSR!) or is there some kind of backup involved. I've never saved via cloud as it takes too long so all my saves are to the machine.

Any help and advice would be warmly appreciated!
  • X201 6 Feb 2013 20:33:07 14,692 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You can't access the old drive in a new machine.

Your only routes are the Backup/System Transfer/Cloud Save options.

But seeing as how the old one won't turn on... you can guess the rest :-(

Your trophies will be fine provided that you've synchronised them.

Edited by X201 at 20:36:01 06-02-2013
  • snowbored 6 Feb 2013 20:40:40 232 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that you will not be able to get your saves off of your HDD and onto a new PS3 without running the backup facility on your current system and Then the restoring it on your new one.
    As far as I am aware drives are locked to systems so It isn't possible to simply put your HDD in the new ps3 because it will need to format it.

you might want to consider doing the YLOD heat gun fix, I did it on my fat ps3 when it died and got a few more months out of it, long enough to take a backup anyway.
  • feeg86 6 Feb 2013 20:46:12 564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • X201 6 Feb 2013 20:49:02 14,692 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    /thread repair
  • feeg86 6 Feb 2013 20:49:18 564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @snowbored I had a feeling that would be the case. Will give this heat gun fix a try if it's the only route now.

Cheers lads.
  • feeg86 7 Feb 2013 09:59:42 564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just a quick question, would one of these work if I got it hooked up to the PC or laptop to data transfer?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190698939490?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
  • dominalien 7 Feb 2013 10:01:24 6,741 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It would in the way that the computer would see the drive, but the data is encrypted so you won't be able to copy anything anyway.

PSN: DonOsito

• kosigan 7 Feb 2013 11:34:47 438 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @feeg86
    I've never saved via cloud as it takes too long so all my saves are to the machine.
    And how long did it take you to get those game saves to that point? Unless you can do the temporary heat fix in order to do a backup, they're lost. For me PS+ proved its value when my fat PS3 died just over a year ago, as I'd used the cloud save.
  • feeg86 7 Feb 2013 14:37:11 564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Off the top of my head, I can't remember mate. Long enough to reset and decide to save to the hard drive. To be honest my only major concerns are about my Skyrim and Mass Effect saves. Stripped the console this morning and will try a last ditch effort at the heat fix.

Live and learn eh! I'll be persevering with the cloud save from now on!
  • nickthegun 7 Feb 2013 14:39:33 55,848 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mine did the same thing before christmas. The only thing you can do is borrow/buy a caddy and back the drive up before you send it back to sony.

It is, by all accounts a PSU issue.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• B0rked_Gamer 7 Feb 2013 14:43:40 1,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I didn't have anything worth keeping on the PS3 anyway so wasn't concerned about saves and whatnot. Shame the new PS3 looks and feels like cheap tat and the fuckin' pad was broken.
  • feeg86 8 Feb 2013 12:14:17 564 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well! The hair dryer fix worked a treat. 20 minute blast, reduce to cool in the garage, turn upside down and fire up. Got all the game saves onto the cloud and even had enough time to pick and choose films to keep. Obviously won't last but there was a big sigh of relief when the game saves were backed up.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next