Wired Network advice

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 11:40:56 3,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ever since I converted my laptop into an Ubuntu headless server it has been used everyday as a download box and media server etc. but having USB drives hooked up to it is not really practical and its currently under the stairs.

I now want take it up a notch and convert my old server tower fill it with some big hard drives and house it in the upstairs of the garage as its nice a cold up there with a UPS.

I need to extend the wired network and run it external. Does anybody have good suggestions to achieve this ?

I've seen some kits on ebay that include all the cable, crimps, testers etc. for 13, which seem ideal as I'm only doing this one installation.

I'm of the understanding that the cable (cat5e, maybe cat6) will need to be fed through some sort of conduit, maybe some kind of plastic pipe to shield from the elements. True?

How close can it be to an electrical cable, i was thinking of running it through the wall into the external meter cab and then outside from there.

Edited by crashVoodoo at 11:46:59 06-02-2013

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 11:53:01 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.comms-express.com/products/cat5e-external-grade-ldpe-utp-cable-305mt-reel/

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 12:01:07 3,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    http://www.comms-express.com/products/cat5e-external-grade-ldpe-utp-cable-305mt-reel/
    That would be ideal ... i need to find it in a smaller amount. Only need 15-20 meters at most.

Winner winner ... .88p p/m

Edited by crashVoodoo at 12:03:03 06-02-2013

• nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 12:02:15 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You may be able to find some pre-terminated stuff on ebay, which will save a lot of faffing about.

He totally called it

• billythekid 6 Feb 2013 12:04:29 11,014 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.cables2u.co.uk/cat6-gigabit-shielded-network-ethernet-cable-p-588.html?gclid=CJHMlP_RobUCFYXLtAodxFEAGg
  • nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 12:05:52 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shielded only means its protected from electronic sniffing, if you need a really secure network rather than shielded from the elements.

He totally called it

• crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 12:05:57 3,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You may be able to find some pre-terminated stuff on ebay, which will save a lot of faffing about.
    Cheers nickthegun, will this do ?

• nickthegun 6 Feb 2013 12:08:05 58,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, looks fine. Just bear in mind that if you are drilling holes and sealing them, its easier to get cable through that isnt terminated as, obviously, the hole can be smaller and, well, round.

He totally called it

• crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 12:20:00 3,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    yeah I figured that too whis is why i was looking for non-terminated.

I've found this on ebay that is terminated one end (garage) and non terminated but comes with faceplate (house).

think this is my best bet. I'll buy a punch tool for th faceplate/wires

• MMMarmite 6 Feb 2013 13:17:50 993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @crashVoodoo the description says the face plate is pre-terminated, so you'll still need a bigger hole to push the RJ45 connector through, unless you take it apart and re-do the faceplate end ;)
  • crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 13:27:54 3,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MMMarmite wrote:
    @crashVoodoo the description says the face plate is pre-terminated, so you'll still need a bigger hole to push the RJ45 connector through, unless you take it apart and re-do the faceplate end ;)
    I thought it said you could ask for it loose and then assemble it yourself ... must check

yeah it does, i'll email them before order

Edited by crashVoodoo at 13:30:29 06-02-2013

• MMMarmite 6 Feb 2013 13:33:52 993 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Aha, I failed reading at school!
  • mal 6 Feb 2013 14:02:40 22,334 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One warning, unheated upstairs spaces such as attics tend to be very cold in the winter, but very hot in the summer as the sun heats the roof tiles directly.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• crashVoodoo 6 Feb 2013 14:54:47 3,852 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mal wrote:
    One warning, unheated upstairs spaces such as attics tend to be very cold in the winter, but very hot in the summer as the sun heats the roof tiles directly.
    hmmm ... it does have a roof directly facing the sun. I cant' remember if it ever got hot" up there last summer though.

thanks, its something to consider

Edited by crashVoodoo at 14:55:47 06-02-2013

• Page

of 1

Previous Next