Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U)

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Raiko101 4 Feb 2013 19:35:58 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So, assuming this thread is ok, this is the place to gloat about your new high scores, share tactics, share impressions, recommend tables and add new players to your friendly leaderboards.

I'll get us started in the gloating department. I'm currently ranked 1st in the UK (6th in the world) for El Derado. Woo!

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87 (Dave)
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• addyb 4 Feb 2013 20:04:03 1,246 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nice one. Feel free to add me guys for some friendly leaderboards (Sh00ter_Mcgavin)
    I'm currently 15th in the UK for epic quest. Lol so nothing special. :)

EDIT: Make that top 10 for UK on epic quest :)

Edited by addyb at 23:04:38 04-02-2013
  • zoolophage 5 Feb 2013 07:59:44 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My Wii U id is mjrobertson. I'll be looking out for scores to chase.

3DS: 2019-9957-3472

• jellyhead 5 Feb 2013 08:48:46 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ok, Our house NNID is: WintonParker

I'll put this here now someone created a thread.

Assume on all these tables that i have no idea what i'm doing and that to me it's just flashy lights, loud sounds and sheer, bloody luck.

Own:
    Marvel Avengers Pack
    - Avengers - Good - housemate is brilliant at it.
    - Hulk World at war or something - i prefer it
    - Fear Itself - Bloody brilliant ball launcher design - i'm not too bad at this one.
    - Infinity Gauntlet - Crazy. Table rotates to top of the screen and reverses on one feature. Twisty.
    Plants vs Zombies - Nice and cheerful after the EPIC OF MARVEL SHOUTING EPICALLY at you.
    Paranormal - A bit cramped but lots to do and a wacky haunted house feature.

Trials:
    Mars - Nice looking and atmosphere but a bit sparse. Might be good for total novices
    Fantastic 4 - I didn't get on with this one but my housemate did. Go figure.
    Sorcerors Lair - I like this one. Well done theme and designs and nice to play.
    Excalibur - Another decent table with lots of theatrics.
    Earth Defence - It's got a giant robot on it, can't remember much else about it tbh.

Trying next:
    Epic Quest

How do i delete a table i no longer want? In the Wii-U data manager i can only delete all DLC not the trial tables i don't want.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• zoolophage 5 Feb 2013 09:40:51 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have to say that the Avengers Assemble table is my least favourite in the Marvel pack. The ball is very easy to drain and I'm not seeing the range and depth of modes that the other 3 tables have. There is the chance that I'm just rubbish at it, though. Fear Itself and Infinity Gauntlet are pretty crazy, lot of weird stuff going on there.

• zoolophage 5 Feb 2013 10:06:45 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jellyhead

Can't you seem to add you on Miiverse. The option to Friend Request is greyed out on your profile.

• jellyhead 5 Feb 2013 10:41:37 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @zoolophage Hmmm, is that because the email address needs to be confirmed do you think?
    I thought i'd done that. I'll double check tonight when i get in from work. Cheers.

• zoolophage 5 Feb 2013 11:51:10 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some quick thoughts on various tables for those who may be new to Zen Pinball. My preference is for tables that have multiple flippers and a variety of game modes. I like tables that have video modes or secondary mini tables and that are not too difficult.

1. The Excalibur, Earth Defence, and El Dorado tables are well worth playing. There is a real skill progression on these tables and you should see your scores gradually increase over time.

All 3 of them have a fair bit to do and I would say that they are relatively fair in terms of ball draining. Excalibur has a slight imbalance due to the ease with which the multiball can be spammed - although it's still an excellent table. I put in over 75 hours on the 3DS game on these tables alone. I rank them all very closely, but would give the nudge to Earth Defence (maybe just cos I have a good score on that one in the 3DS version).

2. Shaman is the exception. It it is a very difficult table with only a few different modes. Specific shots must be made in a specific order to activate the high scoring modes. A frustrating table that is not as deep as those above.

3. Plants V Zombies is a relatively easy table to make progress on. It has a variety of missions and uses the IP of the original game to good effect. I've enjoyed playing it so far and can see that it's a 'fair' enough table that you don't feel cheated when the ball drains. The missions are good fun and there's a lot of zombie humour.

4. Wolverine. This is a relatively simple table in terms of layout, with much of the game play appearing to be composed to making combos up the left and right ramps, then shooting the central lane. It's stingy with points at first but gets into some pretty crazy scoring opportunities once you activate the missions. There's a super fast 1 million points per orbit mode. I feel this table is promising but potentially a little difficult to get into. It is not as easy as some other tables but I did feel satisfied after getting a decent score.

5. World War Hulk. A table where it seems relatively easy to keep the ball in play for long periods of time. The playfield is physically very wide and there's a lot of scope for shooting orbit combos. I got a bit of an Earth Defence vibe from this one. Quite enjoyable. I look forward to discovering more. It has at least 1 alternate bonus table 'The Arena'.

6. Epic Quest. A fantasy/rpg themed game. It's an easy one to play and has quite a lot of content (from what I've seen so far). There's always seems to be a more powerful item to be unlocked or a more powerful enemy to be battled. I can see this table having a satisfying score progression as I get better at it. It has a left / right orbit and another flipper that is very difficult to activate. I'm enjoying it. Again, a table where it's easy to keep the ball in play for extended periods of time.

7. Fear Itself. A wide play field table that appears to depend on extreme angle combos and hitting specific targets. I am not very good at it. Difficult to say whether it's a good table or not. Perhaps not as immediately accessible as others due to the high skill level required.

8. Infinity Gauntlet. Probably my favourite table so far. An easy playing table with left / right lanes and three centre lanes. Seems like there is quite a lot to do on the table and it has mission modes like upside down or always activated flippers. It's easy to to keep the ball in play for long periods of time and it always seems to be doing something. Just very easy to get into and therefore quite enjoyable.

9. Avengers Assemble. Have not enjoyed this one so far. The interesting thing about the table is that you have to choose your character before playing, which affects the appearance of the ball and some of the bonuses and modes. It seems very easy to drain on this one, I never feel like I have a lot of control on the table and thus far haven't unlocked much stuff. It has some good multiball stuff going on but so far it just hasn't grabbed me at all.

10. Iron Man. Fantastic Four. Blade. Captain America. Fantastic Four. These 4 tables are in the 3DS Marvel Pinball game. None of them has particularly grabbed me as being that entertaining. Blade seems the most feature rich and is probably my favourite of these 4. I particularly dislike the Iron Man table, due to its simplistic combo lanes and its reliance on activating missions via the centre channel. Fantastic Four and Captain America are ok, I guess, not great tables but nor are they terrible. They just don't seem to do anything new or better than any of the other tables. I would not really recommend any of these tables.

11. I like the Moon Knight and Thor tables, particularly Thor. Thor has easy to activate missions and is a table where I can understand what's happening just by playing (if that makes sense). I feel like I'll be able to make good scoring progression in Thor. I was underwhelmed by the Ghost Rider and X Men tables, not bad tables but again just not as good as some other ones. No specific good or bad comments...just meh on them.

• Deleted user 5 February 2013 13:12:38
    Ive got most of these tables on the Xbox 360 and have played them quite a lot.

Unfortunately when you get experienced with the game you find that most of the tables have some sort of spammable mode or scoring opportunity which can just be grinded over and over again for score. Sort of spoilt the fun for me.

I prefer the tables where the best way to get a high score is to reach the wizard mode. For that reason my favourite tables are Blade and Fear Itself.
  • Raiko101 5 Feb 2013 14:38:35 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @jellyhead You might just need to update your profile settings on Miiverse. You've also got to have used to Friends List app at least once.

• Raiko101 6 Feb 2013 04:10:55 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Encountered the same glitch i've encountered a number of times on the 3DS version, tonight. I don't know if it's specifically the El Derado table, which is the table i've played most on both games, but the ball speed randomly increases to a near unplayable rate. I can hit the ball to the far end of the table and have it back at the flippers in a blink of an eye. The ball can also changes direction on an upward ramp instantly, as if somebody has it on a string and has pulled it back.

It seems to fix itself briefly, but speeds up again seemingly at will. I had to restart the game in order to fix the issue. Might have thrown something had I got close to a decent score, but i've been terrible tonight.

• zoolophage 6 Feb 2013 17:08:26 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think all versions of zen have known bugs, some of them very long standing ones that have never been fixed. I put some reasonable scores up on World War Hulk and (at last) Avengers Assemble.

• Sid-Nice 6 Feb 2013 17:24:22 15,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The last time I looked I was ranked No 2 on Fear Itself with a 103 million.

NNID Sid-Nice

• zoolophage 6 Feb 2013 19:37:44 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Sid-Nice sent you a friend request on Miiverse so we can compete.

• jellyhead 6 Feb 2013 22:14:46 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    done. WintonParker should be friendable now. friendly is a different thing entirely :)
    it's the house account so may be a housemate not me.

• Raiko101 9 Feb 2013 09:28:34 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    52 million on El Derado, which puts me back up to 6th in the all-time rankings. This game is much harder than the 3DS one!

Does anybody else here have the Zen Classic pack? I think i'm going to have to pick up a few more tables now.

• Raiko101 10 Feb 2013 19:43:27 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just picked up PvZ, Excalibur and Epic Quest, so should be seeing some familiar names cropping up on the leaderboards!

• Frogofdoom 11 Feb 2013 06:49:14 1,025 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Played the demo for those 3 last night and liked them all. I realy enjoyed el dorado as well. Might add those to my marvel ones.
  • Raiko101 11 Feb 2013 15:51:19 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got to say, Excalibur is a COMPLETELY different table in this game. It's so much easier to hit the angles you need, making challenges a lot easier to accomplish. Not only that, but getting the multiball is far more difficult. So much so, i've yet to get it once. Still, I got myself a respectable 48 million, which puts me 14th overall at the minute. Can't recommend this table enough.

Plants Vs Zombies is great too. I love the challenges on that one.

• Sid-Nice 11 Feb 2013 16:39:42 15,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I recently bought Marvel Fantastic Four, Plants vs. Zombies, Epic Quest, Sorcerer's Lair, Mars and Excalibur to go with my initial purchase Marvel Avengers.

NNID Sid-Nice

• Raiko101 14 Feb 2013 00:30:45 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just hit the top 10 for Plantz Vs Zombies. It's a great table. Still learning as I go, but i've never felt the need to look at the table guide, which is nice.

Still, saying that, it seems strangely difficult getting going on that table. So many times I struggle to hit even a million with my first ball. Even on my best attempt. I then managed 70 million with my second and a further 10 with my third. Hmm...

• Frogofdoom 14 Feb 2013 07:26:19 1,025 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Got epic quest yesterday, fantastic table (only had one go so far)
  • zoolophage 15 Feb 2013 20:59:23 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    279 million on epic quest. I completed both awards and am now number 17 on the all time rankings. The top score is over a billion!

Last time I checked I was still all time number 1 on Hulk World War. Not sure I can be bothered to beat my score given it'd take about an hour.

• Sid-Nice 15 Feb 2013 21:25:31 15,851 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't tell the Wii U haters but...

Zen Pinball 2 is enough to keep me happy until the first party big guns arrive. Also Wii Street U is a handy app to hunt down the Wii U haters.

NNID Sid-Nice

• zoolophage 20 Feb 2013 11:20:36 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I've got to say, Excalibur is a COMPLETELY different table in this game. It's so much easier to hit the angles you need, making challenges a lot easier to accomplish. Not only that, but getting the multiball is far more difficult. So much so, i've yet to get it once. Still, I got myself a respectable 48 million, which puts me 14th overall at the minute. Can't recommend this table enough.

Plants Vs Zombies is great too. I love the challenges on that one.
    I got Excalibur a couple of days ago and agree that it is a totally different experience to playing on the 3ds. In my first try I completed a mission that I have not once completed on the 3ds. The missions seem to be hugely easier, whereas getting multi ball is rather hard. I'm enjoying it all over again as it's like a new table now.

• jellyhead 20 Feb 2013 11:55:13 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, yeah. I forgot to say how much i hate you all!
    We're bottom of the friends leaderboards. You're all insensitive pricks! Lording it about with your highscores :(

• zoolophage 20 Feb 2013 14:24:08 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The leaderboards are one of the best features, particularly the weekly one. It can be hard to beat all time high scores but you always have a shot on the weekly board.

That said, I was depressed when it told me I 'only' had to score another 50 mil to beat my nearest rival...forget which table. I like to check the friend leaderboards when I get home from work every night.

I (barely) beat Raiko's top score on Excalibur last night, which will hopefully please him when he next checks.

• Raiko101 20 Feb 2013 14:37:36 6,577 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wasn't planning on playing any Zen Pinball before work today. Thanks alot!

Edit - And after 3 extremely painful hours i've hit 84 million. Randomly I lost all 5 of my balls on the very same challenge, just seconds after it had started. Like a curse. Very suspicious!

Now, off to work!

Edited by Raiko101 at 17:09:36 20-02-2013

• zoolophage 20 Feb 2013 17:39:05 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Raiko101 Nice work! I'm going to have to go some to beat that.

• zoolophage 20 Feb 2013 18:17:49 2,017 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Goes from bad to worse today...I'm no longer all time number 1 on Hulk World War :mad:

Oh well, it's tough at the top.

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous