Political correctness

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • RedSparrows 4 Feb 2013 16:51:59 24,242 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Am I going to regret this? Of course.

A thought struck me recently, about political correctness and the hoohah about it.

On the one hand, we come across stories that are ridiculous, and you may have personal experience of. They might be seen as misguided attempts to alleviate a real, or perhaps imagined or misunderstood, issue that result in actually causing more issues and trouble.

On the other, there are stories that are blown out of proportion - i.e. a few people complain about something, and a thousand times their number complain at them for complaining, and saying 'where's your common sense?' - when, at the heart of it, nothing 'PC' was happening at all.

Now, whilst I'd love to go into the philosophy of this, my initial question is this:

Do you think there is, on balance, an equal (or possibly greater, or less?) and equally troublesome reaction to political correctness, again real or imagined, that, by going under the banner of 'common sense', is actually just as politicised, as restrictive and prescriptive, as political correctness can be?

I.e., it goes full circle and becomes as absurd as 'you can't say that, it's PC!'.

I'm not suggesting I think this is the case, but I wonder how 'open' and 'free' people are when it comes to expressing their actual thoughts about thorny issues, for fear of being called PC by people who are just as ignorant of the facts, nuance and theory as those they deem 'out of touch'.

Does anyone see what I'm trying to get at? /endofday

Edited by RedSparrows at 16:53:45 04-02-2013
  • the_dudefather 4 Feb 2013 16:57:10 9,418 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Back in my day you were allowed naked flames on the forecourt

(ง ͠ ͟ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 16:58:02
    I'm pretty sure I'm miss reading your question but I would say that an awful lot of the time 'political correctness' is nothing more than 'that is not my political opinion'. Or to be more precise, 'that is not my opinion of the correct boundaries in which this conversation can be approached - you've stepped out of what I personally regard as the outskirts of sensible (correct) political opinion on this topic'.

/rambling now
  • nickthegun 4 Feb 2013 17:00:02 61,312 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It seems to be one of those inarguable facts that anyone who uses the term 'political correctness' is a cunt, regardless of which side of the argument they come down on.

Thats not very politically correct = cunt

Its political correctness gone mad = cunt

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 17:01:21
    There's this weird thing that extremes can often come full circle and end up being fairly similar.
  • RedSparrows 4 Feb 2013 17:02:54 24,242 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know.
  • oceanmotion 4 Feb 2013 17:04:36 16,126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think a lot of it depends on what circle people are in at the given time. People kinda know how to toe the line because it's just not worth it being brutally honest. Just a slice of life that riles people but avoided if you are wise to it.
  • RedSparrows 4 Feb 2013 17:05:00 24,242 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I mean the social ramifications of holding certain opinions, and the positioning of 'common sense' as a bastion against 'political correctness'.

PC is seen as a restriction of liberty. But is it now the case where anything that contravenes 'common sense' (for lack of a better phrase) is ripped to shreds, is curbed by social pressure to fall into line, even though that in itself is just as grievous a restriction of liberty?

Sorry if I sound pompous, I've been reading certain books today.

Edited by RedSparrows at 17:05:36 04-02-2013
  • monkman76 4 Feb 2013 17:05:36 5,406 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Most of the OP would make more sense if it were about political INcorrectness, or politically INcorrect statements. To me at least. No?
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 17:06:46 27,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I die a little inside everytime I hear someone say "it's political correctness gone mad!" without a trace of irony.

It all started off really, I think (at least in the UK) with the Blair era-Labour Govt and the huge push towards civil rights and things. It went way too far at times though, which is where they turned into a bit of a nanny state.

Edited by darkmorgado at 17:08:36 04-02-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 17:08:28 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mong mong mong, mongy mong mong.

mong mong mong, mongy mong mong.

(The Mong Song, c2013 LB records)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 17:12:47
    darkmorgado wrote:
    It all started off really, I think (at least in the UK) with the Blair era-Labour Govt and the huge push towards civil rights and things.
    Bloody hell, it goes way way further back than that. I can remember Ben Elton doing a bit on political correctness gone mad in the mid 80s.
  • ZuluHero 4 Feb 2013 17:18:57 4,304 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kalel we're getting old :)

And on that note, the older you get the less you care! :)
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 17:26:32 27,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Deckard1

You can keep trying, you're not going to get a rise out of me :)

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Lexx87 4 Feb 2013 17:28:59 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    @Deckard1

You can keep trying, you're not going to get a rise out of me :)[\b]
    heh..hehehehehh...heheh

Edited by Lexx87 at 17:29:25 04-02-2013

Speak the truth hussy!

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 17:30:05
    Good example of pc. Today's article about tiny Tina in borderlands 2.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 17:30:22
    Yeah, nothing has offended me in about three years. I guess extreme opinions make me think whoever voiced them is a bit dense but I'd still be polite.

I think I haven't cared to any great degree about much since turning 32 ish.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 17:40:53 27,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Good example of pc. Today's article about tiny Tina in borderlands 2.
    Dear lord, that was just stupid.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 17:46:54
    Even though I loathe the "political correctness gone mad" brigade, sometimes they have valid points. Though it's usually related to editing the past to whitewash (arf) context. Like changing Tintin in the Congo or whatever, or removing the constant N words from Huckleberry Finn, or pretending that Love Thy Neighbour wasn't hugely popular.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 18:03:59 27,460 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Heh, I remember the Tintin uproar.

Some people need to realise that things are a product of their era sometimes. Otherwise we will end up in a habit of censoring or amending history.

• kinky_mong 4 Feb 2013 18:14:18 10,866 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    "You can't have a cup of tea in the waiting area any more in case it upsets Muslims!"

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• cubbymoore 4 Feb 2013 18:18:58 36,504 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    In Jamaica they renamed Tintin Thingthing, so it didn't look like we were taking the piss.
  • Moot_Point 4 Feb 2013 18:21:06 4,611 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Political Correctness

Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent. In current usage, the term is primarily pejorative, while the term politically incorrect has been used as an implicitly positive self-description. Examples of the latter include the conservative The Politically Incorrect Guide published by Regnery Publishing and the television talk show Politically Incorrect. In these cases, the term politically incorrect connotes language, ideas, and behavior unconstrained by a perceived orthodoxy or by concerns about offending or expressing bias regarding various groups of people.

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Metalfish 4 Feb 2013 18:27:28 8,874 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's one of those words that people think they know about but kinda don't. See also: anarchism/feminism/communism (whatever you think of these concepts, you'll probably agree that most people don't actually know what they mean).

100% of the time "political correctness has gone mad" what has actually happened is a small number of hypersensitive/aggressively-risk-adverse of types have massively misread a situation and made a tit of themselves. This fact doesn't really sell as many papers as bashing whatever boogey-man features in the 2 minute hate this week.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 18:27:34 44,956 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gosh how clever.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• RedSparrows 4 Feb 2013 18:30:06 24,242 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    'Unconstrained by a perceived orthodoxy' is a far better way of opening my question.

PC is disliked for constraining (whether in valid or bollocks stories). Is there no risk of the orthodoxy of anti-PC being just as restrictive?

Take Tiny Tina (not the best example, but still). Not only was it a few people complaining (and nothing more), it meant lots of people complained about complainers (the ease of offence remark comes to mind here...) as being contra-sense, against what is 'normally accepted'. Is there no danger of such stories, repeated year on year, turning mantras like 'common sense ' into restrictive orthodoxies of their own right?

Edited by RedSparrows at 18:31:18 04-02-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Feb 2013 18:30:28 39,762 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous