Bring back AMAZING launch games! Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:51:30 87,629 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Xbox had Halo, Jet Set Radio Future, Project Gotham, Dead or Alive 3. They were all wicked at the time, and a far cry from the toss that launched with the 360.

Cube launched with Luigi's Mansion which was short, but a proper exciting new game, Monkey Ball, Star Wars, Wave Race and some decent 3rd party games like Burnout. Again, a world apart from the Wii and WiiU launches.
  • ResidentKnievel 4 Feb 2013 13:52:34 6,197 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Gamecube had the best launch

Super Monkey Ball, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race: Blue Storm and Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader on day 1, Smash bros and Pikmin a few weeks after.

And it cost 130, if only it wasn't purple and didn't have a handle more people would have bought it. :(

Such good memories, I regret buying the 360 and Wii at launch as the novelty wore off after a couple of weeks, but the Gamecube was always a good purchase and had a steady stream of quality titles throughout it's lifetime. The whole "consoles are always bad at launch" thing is a complete myth and only started with the 360.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 13:56:20 04-02-2013

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 13:52:47
    When/what was the first 'amazing' game for the 360? I remember being excited about a new console launch but not buying one about a year after because the games looked awful.
  • Blotto 4 Feb 2013 13:53:34 2,776 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    To be honest, the way gaming has become significantly more mainstream over this generation means that all either Sony or MS need to do is get COD and Fifa in at launch and almost everyone who realistically would have bought a next gen console at launch, will.

What I'm saying is I doubt it'll be anything big budget like a new Halo at launch, just seems unnecessary. I'd imagine they'll announce something like that with the reveal, but I doubt it'll come at launch.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 13:53:39 44,222 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gears.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Lexx87 4 Feb 2013 13:54:53 20,869 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kameo was great.

Speak the truth hussy!

• ResidentKnievel 4 Feb 2013 13:56:41 6,197 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    When/what was the first 'amazing' game for the 360? I remember being excited about a new console launch but not buying one about a year after because the games looked awful.
    Elder scrolls or Gears of war, I think.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 14:00:00
    mowgli wrote:
    Geometry Wars.
  • Zomoniac 4 Feb 2013 14:00:05 7,827 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    PGR3 on launch. I enjoyed Kameo but plenty didn't. And Geometry Wars RE, obvs.

Edited by Zomoniac at 14:00:22 04-02-2013
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 14:00:13 87,629 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Crackdown was probably the first really good reason to get a 360.
  • Dirtbox 4 Feb 2013 14:01:06 78,157 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Altered Beast!

Wait.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 14:01:30
    kalel wrote:
    I think Crackdown was probably the first really good reason to get a 360.
    That's when I got mine. The first game that showed the 360 was a bit different
  • mrpon 4 Feb 2013 14:01:43 28,909 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 14:02:39
    Zomoniac wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    PGR3 on launch.
    It was so horrendously gimped compared to 2, though :-( Tiny roster, nowhere near as well balanced as 2
  • beastmaster 4 Feb 2013 14:02:47 11,413 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I got it becuase of The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 14:02:57 87,629 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kameo was kind of your ZombieU type thing. OK and some claimed it was all kind of awesome, but it was always destined to be the game bargain buckets were full of within months.
  • ResidentKnievel 4 Feb 2013 14:05:42 6,197 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    PG3 loading times were utterly horrendous and put me off playing it.

Plus it was a cut-down sequel.

Edited by ResidentKnievel at 14:06:16 04-02-2013

• Zomoniac 4 Feb 2013 14:06:03 7,827 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Zomoniac wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    PGR3 on launch.
    It was so horrendously gimped compared to 2, though :-( Tiny roster, nowhere near as well balanced as 2
    True, though at the time I'd had a massive HD projection screen with no HD sources for a while, and SD sources blown up to the size of a wall are not pretty. PGR3 blew me away so much by being so damned pretty that I managed to overlook its shortcomings. But yes, objectively it's definitely inferior to 2 in all but looks.
  • Zomoniac 4 Feb 2013 14:07:04 7,827 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Of the initial 6 months of 360 games the one that most made my jaw drop was probably Fight Night Round 3.
  • Scimarad 4 Feb 2013 14:10:45 8,547 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't remember Kameo ever being that interesting, aside from people being excited by who was making it. Did it sell a lot?

I've not played any Wii U games but I think the Zombi thing looks a bit more interesting than that.
  • DFawkes 4 Feb 2013 14:11:47 22,959 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I always find at least once launch game on pretty much every console that I love. It's never that difficult either. Yeah, I'll admit my love all pretty much all games does make that a bit easier, but there are usually some decent games around for those that want them.

That said, there wasn't really anything in the 360 line up that really grabbed me. I quite enjoyed King Kong, but it was hardly a showcase of what the console could do. It was Crackdown that sold the console to me.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• MrTomFTW Moderator 4 Feb 2013 14:17:58 38,148 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dead Rising and PGR 3 made me buy a 360. I never regretted it.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Zomoniac 4 Feb 2013 14:21:48 7,827 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    I don't remember Kameo ever being that interesting, aside from people being excited by who was making it. Did it sell a lot?
    I'd imagine a few given how barren the launch was. Kameo, PGR3 and PDZ were the three first party launch titles so got most of the marketing clout. Kameo was nice and fun, I very much enjoyed it, was pretty at the time though did have that shiny wax effect going on. It mainly tried to sell itself on "LOOK HOW MANY ENEMIES ARE ON THE SCREEN AT ONCE! THOUSANDS! AND YOU CAN RUN THEM ALL OVER ON A HORSE!". In hindsight I think the best of the 360 launch lineup was probably CoD2.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 14:25:40 27,355 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Hmmm. Halo 3? Forza 2? Possibly PGR3.

The launch lineup was pretty dire.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Scimarad 4 Feb 2013 14:26:50 8,547 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure my opinion of a decent launch is the same as anyone else, anyway!

PS2 is generally considered to have an awful launch line up but I absolutely loved Smuggler's Run and Dynasty Warriors 2. Played those SO much on split-screen:)
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 14:28:31 27,355 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:

I've not played any Wii U games but I think the Zombi thing looks a bit more interesting than that.
    I think Kameo actually sold pretty well. It got some decent write-ups too. I never really got into it, but then I never gave it much of a chance either. Might have to go back to it at some point.

To be fair to Rare, they've been given a pretty bum rap this gen afaic. Viva Pinata and Banjo were amazing games. I can see why Kameo got a lot of love. The only one of their "proper" games I haven't liked this gen was Perfect Dark Zero, but only because of the terrible controls.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• Rodriguez 4 Feb 2013 14:34:29 1,094 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Condemned: Criminal Origins was a 360 launch title and was a pretty damn awesome game. In fact I'd say it's still one of the creepiest games I've ever played and it's quite unique in it's gameplay and style even to this day. PGR3 was good too.

On the other hand, I also remember games journos wetting themselves over the amazing 'smoke effects' in COD2 at the time too! Eeesh, cringe worthy stuff!
  • TheSaint 4 Feb 2013 14:36:24 14,375 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Crackdown for me.

But no mention of Rockstar's Table Tennis? Everyone seemed to own that at one point.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 14:38:47
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Altered Beast!

Wait.
    This was my first thought too. Stupid game :(
  • Zomoniac 4 Feb 2013 14:40:29 7,827 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    PS2 is generally considered to have an awful launch line up but I absolutely loved Smuggler's Run and Dynasty Warriors 2. Played those SO much on split-screen:)
    SSX was awesome. But like seemingly everyone else in the world, for me PS2 started with GT3.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last