Bring back AMAZING launch games!

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:18:54 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    With a new generation on the horizon, I really hope developers have cottoned on to the importance of just one TOP TOP drawer launch game.

I'm talking Halo, Soul Calibur, Mario 64, Mario World.

I can just about accept that maybe Wii Sports firs in this bracket (well not really, but perhaps I can save myself the debate with a nod), but there's far too much crap shovelware coming out as launch titles these days. The above were all pretty much the best games released on those systems, and they were out day 1! This should be the benchmark!

Come on devs. You know it makes sense.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 13:21:48
    Someone obviously hasn't heard about ZombieU.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 13:22:48 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I miss the days of a "proper" mario game launching within weeks of a new Nintendo system (I'm not counting NSMB U). This gen was pretty crap as far as launch titles go really. Last gen we had Halo at launch, which was sweet. The PS3 had a terrible launch library (Lair and Genji anyone?), as did the 360 (urgh, 99 Nights).

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:24:14 04-02-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:23:33 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If the WiiU had launched with a proper Mario game, I'd probably have one by now.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 13:24:44 44,722 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Even the Wii had Twilight Princess, however shit that turned out to be in the end at least they went with a AAA launch title.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 13:25:28 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hell, any "big" Ninty game would be a diamond system seller, especially if it was packed in. We need a decent new Metroid to take away the sour taste of Other M.

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:25:57 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mmm, yeah. Gimped GC game, but yeah.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 13:26:14 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Even the Wii had Twilight Princess, however shit that turned out to be in the end at least they went with a AAA launch title.
    Well sort of, but it was just a port of the Gamecube one. And not a very good port at that.

• Blerk Moderator 4 Feb 2013 13:26:18 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    That doesn't count, it was a Gamecube game. :)

Edit: What they said. :D

Edited by Blerk at 13:26:38 04-02-2013
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 13:27:27 44,722 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, doesn't help that the better version was on the older console.

• AcidSnake 4 Feb 2013 13:27:30 7,289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought the 3D Mario titles performed badly in Japan? To them NSMBU was probably a "proper" Mario title...
    Shame as I much prefer the 3D ones...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Blerk Moderator 4 Feb 2013 13:27:54 48,225 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thinking about it, I've never actually bought a console at launch. So maybe it doesn't matter after all? :)
  • Spunkweazle 4 Feb 2013 13:28:14 470 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!

http://www.scottyslittlesoldiers.co.uk/
    dedicated to supporting the children of men and women killed while serving with the British Armed Forces.

• spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 13:28:24 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    I thought the 3D Mario titles performed badly in Japan? To them NSMBU was probably a "proper" Mario title...
    Are you kidding? They go mental for mario games.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 13:28:39
    Mario stopped feeling special when they decided to release one or more every year. Zelda isn't far off that either.

Both Sony and Microsoft know a great start is very important and they aren't introducing much else new with the machines so I would be surprised if there isn't something really good that comes with one of them. They have enough internal studios to manage it.
  • NOSAVIOUR 4 Feb 2013 13:29:11 2,809 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have bets on The Last Guardian and Destiny (exclusive to microsoft for a year) being there for the next gen. Maybe even Alan Wake 2.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:31:07 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Last Guardian is fantasy but I can see Destiny being a launch title.

I would not be surprised to see Halo V at launch either.
  • oceanmotion 4 Feb 2013 13:33:08 16,080 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kinect Sports 3.

Would be nice to see a new stand out game but think it is luck more than anything. Better chance this time, so much lead time for next gen.

Shadow Complex 2 must be getting made. They are saving it for a next gen XBLA headliner, right!
  • NOSAVIOUR 4 Feb 2013 13:34:13 2,809 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I can't see Halo 5 being there (I hope it isn't as much as I would love it) but Halo 2 remastered and new mp for sure. It has to be in some capacity, especially as Microsoft announced ages ago they want Halo year on year like COD. A new fable would be good and Rare has been quiet for quite some time now.
  • spamdangled 4 Feb 2013 13:35:21 27,421 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm pretty convinced the next Xbox will launch with a new Forza and a new Halo. I think they learned their lesson after the awful launch lineup on the 360.

No idea what Sony would launch with. I would be very surprised at this point if Last Guardian ever emerges from the ether. Maybe FF versus?

• AcidSnake 4 Feb 2013 13:35:22 7,289 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    darkmorgado wrote:
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Are you kidding? They go mental for mario games.
    I seem to remember reading that the 3D ones performed badly though...
    Wikipedia seems to suggest that NSMB Wii sold as much in the first week as Galaxy has to date (900-odd K)...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 13:37:06
    Has there ever been a time when consoles launched with genuinely good stuff? Wiki seems to suggest it's definitely not the norm: Linky
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:37:46 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I predict they'll claim an all new Gran Tourismo will launch with the console with a total revamp approach including amazing SP AI, and an incredible new MP element.

And none of those things will happen.
  • Zomoniac 4 Feb 2013 13:37:50 7,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm quietly hopeful that Beyond will be a PS4 launch title. Maybe even a new Uncharted. Not really sure what MS could have unless they go the new IP route. I think the deal with Epic is up so that's Gears out, probably too soon for another full Halo, the only other things they have left are Forza, which whilst great isn't a system seller, and Fable, which has become a bit of a joke. Unless they go with Viva Pinata 3. Which they really should.
  • beastmaster 4 Feb 2013 13:39:34 11,789 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Can a sequel be amazing?

I fully expect the new Xbox to have the following at launch.

COD,
    FIFA,
    Forza,
    Halo

Who knows, maybe Killer Instinct pop up from Rare as I'm sure they're working on something for the new machine and they always have something ready for launch.

As for Sony, no dount they'll have COD, FIGA, Uncharted and Gran Turismo.

As for original IPs at launch, I have my doubts. If anyones is going to do it though it'll be Sony.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Zomoniac 4 Feb 2013 13:42:31 7,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can see them both launching with Watch Dogs, it looks a little bit too good for current gen. The real coup would be if one of them had a next-gen version of GTA V and that's why it's been delayed.
  • kalel 4 Feb 2013 13:44:25 89,142 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    Has there ever been a time when consoles launched with genuinely good stuff? Wiki seems to suggest it's definitely not the norm: Linky
    I think it is the norm once you get to the Megadrive onwards. Perhaps not super duper amazing but everyone seemed to make a decent effort to get a real top game or two out for launch, right up to the PS2 which is where it seems to start to go a bit wrong.

SNES had three launch games in Europe - Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings. I mean, Jesus Christ...
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 13:45:32
    kalel wrote:

SNES had three launch games in Europe - Mario World, F-Zero and Pilotwings. I mean, Jesus Christ...
    Yeah, I'll give you that one, that's one hell of a release trio :-D
  • oceanmotion 4 Feb 2013 13:47:15 16,080 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The tail end of this generation and new consoles is probably the easiest it will ever be for devs. They just get to turn the taps on more. I think there will be a stupid amount a great games rather quickly.

New versions of too big for current console boots games.

BF4 on consoles with 64 players :D

Call of Duty may get a kick up the arse with a big upgrade.

Respawns new IP.

Destiny.

Shooters but just an example. Small step up to new consoles. Most of the groundwork is already there. Games are going to come quickly.
  • LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 13:50:08 44,722 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rhythm wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Yeah, I'll give you that one, that's one hell of a release trio :-D
    I really don't get the Pilotwings love. It was scarely more than a Mode 7 tech demo ffs.

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous