The 'Ageing Badly' thread (sponsored by my face) Page 3

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• mal 4 Feb 2013 16:30:51 21,956 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Ditto 'The Black Hole'
    The Disney sci-fi film? Still ace, if you ask me (I only saw it recently on Youtube, not at the time). On the other hand, Silent Running is a bit disappointing, and I find it hard to believe Dark Star was ever any good.

LB's right about Ulysees 31 though. Been watching a few eps on youtube recently, and they're still absolutely brilliant.

Most old foreign films should go into the 'aged badly' pile for me. I went thought a phase where I automatically thought anything in a foreign language was better than it was. Take 'The Vanishing' as a case in point.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 16:30:55 41,864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The problem with the new YPM is that an updated version already exists, and was called The Thick of It. Next to that this gentle dose of nostalgia looks like a dinosaur.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• FogHeart 4 Feb 2013 16:47:08 910 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I now understand all those snippets of wisdom that the narrator gives you during Monkey. I never got to see the final few episodes - I'm watching them in sequence. I wish I could tell 8-year-old me that he will eventually get closure.
  • thelzdking 4 Feb 2013 17:49:07 3,962 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    The problem with the new YPM is that an updated version already exists, and was called The Thick of It. Next to that this gentle dose of nostalgia looks like a dinosaur.
    It's satire seems so gentle that it's almost imperceptible. Mix it with some dated, obvious humour and you have something rubbish.
  • Rodney 4 Feb 2013 19:41:55 1,682 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still watch and really enjoy Frasier. It doesnt feel dated to me even though the fashion is very 90s and there is a laughter track.

Recently i've been watching Count Duckula with my daughter. The animation looks old now (not how I remember it in my head) but it still manages to make me laugh. Best 80s cartoon theme tune too
  • Steve_Perry 4 Feb 2013 19:47:18 2,444 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It might be me being an old fuck, but I can't watch more than five minutes of the Simpsons anymore. I find it quite annoying.

Christ I'm old. Its happened.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Immaterial 4 Feb 2013 20:15:00 1,260 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    I now understand all those snippets of wisdom that the narrator gives you during Monkey. I never got to see the final few episodes - I'm watching them in sequence. I wish I could tell 8-year-old me that he will eventually get closure.
    Also,  those funny feelings the younger me got whenever Tripitaka was on screen? It's OK,  she really was a girl.

Think I'll just switch everything off.

• Ironlungs76 4 Feb 2013 20:26:57 4,930 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    It might be me being an old fuck, but I can't watch more than five minutes of the Simpsons anymore. I find it quite annoying.

Christ I'm old. Its happened.
    In all fairness it's hardly anything to do with age, rather the diminishing returns of that type of humour.

The first 5 or so series of Simpsons was (invariably) comedy gold whereas skip forward to today and it's just tawdry pap.

You're not alone :)
  • ModishNouns 4 Feb 2013 20:45:27 4,633 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aged well: Blackadder II

on Gold now
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 20:46:00
    Aged beyond terribly - Blackadder 1.
  • andytheadequate 4 Feb 2013 20:51:55 7,956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wasn't blackadder 1 terrible at the time as well?

I still regularly watch Dinnerladies and it gets better with age. Probably my favourite ever tv show.

And am I the only person who still likes the Simpsons? Even the new episodes are alright...
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 20:53:23
    It aged the moment Blackadder 2 came out and turned the entire foundation of the show on its head, really. Nowadays it's just a weird anomaly that should probably be ignored.
  • Kanjin 4 Feb 2013 21:00:58 960 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've got Blackadder on DVD and just watched a couple of Blackadder 3 yesterday, it's still absolutely excellent.
  • faux_carnation 4 Feb 2013 21:01:56 8,484 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't think of anything to contribute, but I just want to say I approve of this thread. Too many young people clogging up the forum these days.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2013 21:04:04 64,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    It's satire seems so gentle that it's almost imperceptible. Mix it with some dated, obvious humour and you have something rubbish.
    But in some ways, YPM is much more realistic. I love it. Love The Thick of It too, which is funnier but does lack the subtlety of YPM. Sometimes less us more. Or something.
  • Dougs 4 Feb 2013 21:09:33 64,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It aged the moment Blackadder 2 came out and turned the entire foundation of the show on its head, really. Nowadays it's just a weird anomaly that should probably be ignored.
    I have a soft spot for it. It's just different to the others, as they took the characters in a different direction. It's not as good, obviously, but still has some stand out episodes. And Brian Blessed.
  • megastar 4 Feb 2013 21:14:59 17,104 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:

The Bad:
    Thundercats.

AAAaaw HEEEEEEEEEEYYAAAALL No!
  • Alastair 4 Feb 2013 21:33:28 14,953 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Aged beyond terribly - Blackadder 1.
    I have to disagree, for me The Blackadder has improved over time.
    Goes Forth is potentially the weakest of the 4 series - watch it a few times and you'll spot the overuse of the same formulaic joke structure. Individually I think the episodes can still stand up, but don't watch two in a row...

Not as nice as I used to be

• Dougs 4 Feb 2013 21:40:15 64,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Probably agree with that.

Edit: @Alastair

Edited by Dougs at 21:40:54 04-02-2013
  • Alastair 4 Feb 2013 21:44:09 14,953 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:

I love you man!

Not as nice as I used to be

• Dougs 4 Feb 2013 21:55:59 64,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Dougs wrote:

I love you man!
    I actually feel like I'm cheating on Goes Forth a little as I love some of the episodes but I think you're right. As goodfella says, 3 is the best imo.
  • mal 4 Feb 2013 23:03:32 21,956 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I miss the ensemble cast of 2 when it comes to 3. Admittedly, you've got most of the cast returning in 3, plus added Coltrane and supplemented Laurie, but you've not got Queenie, Nursie, Melchett and of course the eponymous Slackbladder bouncing off each other.

But I'm still glad we've got both series. And this is all probably rather off-topic for this thread, since as far as I'm concerned Blackadder has aged perfectly.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• LeoliansBro 4 Feb 2013 23:17:58 41,864 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    megastar wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:

The Bad:
    Thundercats.

AAAaaw HEEEEEEEEEEYYAAAALL No!
    Truth hurts.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• MetalDog 4 Feb 2013 23:19:31 23,706 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FogHeart wrote:
    I have Monkey on DVD - it's still awesome. Mostly in the seasons with the original Pigsy though, who was (nerd alert) dubbed by the same actor who voices Gollum in the BBC production of Lord of the Rings.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Spanky 4 Feb 2013 23:23:34 14,448 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never go beyond the titles of the old cartoons, thundercats being the case in point, greatest cartoon title sequence ever followed by the second worse cartoon. Still infatuated with cheetara.

Plubs

• Spanky 4 Feb 2013 23:25:39 14,448 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago

Plubs

• President_Weasel 4 Feb 2013 23:36:48 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    'Allo 'Allo is wonderful. Really brilliantly funny, in a way that hasn't aged at all.

Edit: to clarify, it works because it's the 'in on the joke' style distilled to almost too much a formula. In that respect it's The Fast Show a decade early. There are no characters, only caricatures and everyone knows what to expect whenever they see any of the cast enter a scene. It's closer to a farce than a sitcom. It doesn't all work (Leclerc isn't that great and it goes wrong when they recast the Italian captain) but the fact they could construct an episode entirely from catchphrases and still make it work makes it something wonderful to watch for me.

Watch the pilot again, you'll be surprised.
    I'd argue it's the period setting too. It won't age as obviously as other comedies as it's set way back when. The same with Dad's Army.
    There's also a series it was based on, ("Secret Army"? "Secret War"? Something Something Resistance"?) that everyone (OK, me) had forgotten about or never seen. Mildly ironic that the pastiche of it went on to be far more famous and long lasting than the original. I saw a bit of it once and it had the resistance lady in the raincoat saying something very close to "pay close attention I shall say this only once".

Anyway, Allo Allo was terrible, but quite good terrible. Dad's Army can fuck off, but if they want to show some sort of heavily edited meta-episode of clips where John le Mesurier is being calm and suavely superior interspersed with occasional cuts to Arthur Lowe making harrumph noises or looking harrassed I'm pretty sure I'd watch all 30 minutes.
  • Youthist 5 Feb 2013 03:18:08 9,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fawlty Towers is still great.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Page

of 4 First / Last