Importing U.S 3ds. Is it a good idea?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • ltbobby 2 Feb 2013 13:37:26 318 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    hi
    im thinking of importing a 3ds xl from U.S with Fire Emblem. It works out loads cheaper but the prob is with region code. I know i wont be able to play any uk games on it. But what about the online store. will i be able to buy things off it? If not are there 3ds points cards that you can buy from U.S. ? Anyone on here done this?
    a 3ds xl plus fire emblem comes to 152 which is really good deal.
  • mal 2 Feb 2013 13:53:24 22,847 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I'm tempted for the same reason myself, but I'd effectively have to buy it and keep my old non-XL for the Euro account. I'd have thought you could use it over here no problem, providing you can get cash onto the account somehow, as I've seen plenty of people with foreign 3DSes over here according to my streetpass record.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Cappy 2 Feb 2013 14:01:08 12,119 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Unless a reliable, unremovable method for defeating the region lock is on the cards it would require some careful thought.

Back in the days when it was $2 to a 1 it might work out, but these days you're seriously limiting your access to games and costing yourself more money in the long run.

Every time there's a sale on you'll miss out, every time you see an obscure gem in the bargain bin you'll miss out. Unless you plan to buy a lot of US games you're better off with a Euro 3DS.
  • Waffleaber 2 Feb 2013 14:01:24 464 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's certainly cheaper initially but with every game you import you run the risk of customs stinging you on import duties plus the resale value of the games will be diminshed. There's also the issue of if the unit goes faulty.

Only you can answer if these risks are offset by cheaper and/or earlier releases.
  • PenguinJim 2 Feb 2013 14:10:06 6,020 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amazon.co.uk seem to have the Mario Kart 3DS XL (with game) for 170, and Shopto have it with Super Mario 3D Land for 167. Obviously it's a different game! But the price difference is only 15-18 now - if you hold out for a UK bargain, you'd probably only spend an extra tenner and not have to worry about the region-lock (assuming you're staying in the UK).

I know that the US gets it soon (already?) and the Fire Emblem Special Edition isn't out until April in the UK, but you've got the added investment of having to check regions on everything you buy/import for it, plus you'll miss out whenever there's a ridiculous UK bargain or another games-selling chain goes into administration.

Do Sainsbury's still have the 3DS XL for 155? My vote would be to choose the colour you like from there or wait for a better 3DS XL bargain, and then just get Fire Emblem separately. ^^
  • FabricatedLunatic 2 Feb 2013 14:36:22 13,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was in a similar situation, not wanting a situation where an RPG like Radiant Historia is available in English but tantalisingly out of reach due to region locking, or having to wait a year for Rune Factory 4 like Europe does for all the other RF games.

But on balance I thought a Euro DS was the best option. As Cappy says, that way you don't lock yourself out of your own market and miss out on the ridiculously cheap games we often get. The US don't seem to discount as aggressively, and even when they do you have postage to consider.

Plus I always worry that something will go wrong and I'll have to deal with returning a console overseas. That isn't appealing.
  • ltbobby 2 Feb 2013 14:43:07 318 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks guys. I see your point about the bargains. What about buying off the eshop. Does anyone know if its possible to buy U.S eshop cards?
  • Bremenacht 2 Feb 2013 15:12:39 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think if I was ever to get a 3DS it would have to be an import, given that Etrian Odyssey IV -a must-buy, for me- is unlikely to be released in the UK.

Who are the big US->UK importers these days? I used to use Movietyme and ummmm another one I can't remember.
  • Murbs 2 Feb 2013 15:16:47 22,591 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I think if I was ever to get a 3DS it would have to be an import, given that Etrian Odyssey IV -a must-buy, for me- is unlikely to be released in the UK.

Who are the big US->UK importers these days? I used to use Movietyme and ummmm another one I can't remember.
    VG+

US model is tempting.
  • Bremenacht 2 Feb 2013 15:26:30 19,666 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    VG+ That's the one! Ta.

127 + tax for an XL. 25 + tax for EO IV pre-order. Ditto Luigi's Mansion.

Hmm.
  • ltbobby 2 Feb 2013 15:36:28 318 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Im really tempted. If i buy a Uk charger for 3ds will it work on the U.S. console?
  • ltbobby 2 Feb 2013 17:50:47 318 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ive done it through videogames plus! Hope i dont regret it. Does anyone here own a U.S 3ds?
  • FabricatedLunatic 2 Feb 2013 18:50:29 13,040 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    VG+ That's the one! Ta.

127 + tax for an XL. 25 + tax for EO IV pre-order. Ditto Luigi's Mansion.

Hmm.
    I haven't used VG+ in a while, but they used to (and probably still do) take... measures to ensure you're not charged VAT.
  • ltbobby 3 Feb 2013 08:47:18 318 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Does anyone know any U.S. exclusive 3ds games that are worth playing.... Games that have not come to europe yet that are supposed to be good. I heard there are quite s few rpg/strategy ones?
  • ltbobby 10 Feb 2013 09:31:03 318 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    well im glad i imported this now. Etrian Odyssey 4 is amazing in the demo on the store and ive been buying nintendo points cards through playasia. every big new retail game is 24 on the eshop too! fire emblem is so well done too
  • Mola_Ram 10 Feb 2013 09:46:54 8,334 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm getting very tempted, I must say. So you can buy things like Fire Emblem on the 3DS store if you buy points for it?
  • ltbobby 10 Feb 2013 10:03:49 318 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah its easy. Buying points card from playasia is instant as its digital. Then on the eshop fire emblem is 39.99 dollars which is £24!

I got my 3ds from videogamesplus website . I ordered last saturday and it arrived on thursday. There are loads of demos on the u.s eshop too!
  • Daryoon 8 Sep 2013 18:19:44 4,669 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm resurrecting this thread to see what the present situation is like between the US/EU systems. I'm something of an Atlus fan, so I'm leaning towards importing. Are there many games still in limbo so far as EU releases go? Is there much difference in the eshop/virtual console releases? Has anyone had any other issues with an imported machine?
  • santashi 8 Sep 2013 22:18:45 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not had any problems with my US 3DSXL. I think there are more announcements of EU localizations than there were when I got it ( Etrian Odyssey IV has now been released, Soul Hackers and SMTIV are coming), but it depends on whether you want to wait for certain releases.

There are some games that the EU will get first, like Bravely Default. The US, on the other hand, gets the next Etrian Odyssey release on 1st October and no date has been given for the EU.

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• YenRug 8 Sep 2013 23:25:08 2,455 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Daryoon If the 3D isn't that important to you, you could consider getting a 2DS to use alongside an EU 3DS/XL, as an alternative option. That way you can have access to the few US exclusives without the drawbacks; it's something I might consider, especially as I'm finding I turn on the 3D less and less.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 Sep 2013 00:01:13 648 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I imported a US 3DS for pretty much the Atlus stuff and other potential JRPGs. So far I've not been disappointed but it is nice to see Europe getting pretty much every title I own with it being region locked. As I have been in Korea all thsi year (I bought it in Feb) US stuff is actually easier to get hold of than European too, but from next year the tables will turn somewhat... I tend not to do digital, although I have $30 of credit for FE and SMTIV to use (a friend allowed me to use their address to setup the nintendo points system). I am curious what'll happen if I state a different state for purchases than the one I am registered with (to avoid sales tax) to buy eshop stuff...
  • santashi 9 Sep 2013 00:07:23 5,167 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx You could always change it to an address in another matching state? My bonus $30 is going on Ace Attorney when it's out. :)

PSN ID: finn1
    3DS: 3497-0005-6756

• Daryoon 9 Sep 2013 00:25:30 4,669 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Main draw of the XL is screen size, really. The DS has always been a strain for my rather poor eyesight! Otherwise I would have chosen the 2DS for cheapness!

If the release schedule is improving, though, I might just stick to an EU model for convenience. So long as they don't change their minds on SMT4... and I'm still waiting for news on Rune Factory...
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 9 Sep 2013 11:37:12 648 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    santashi wrote:
    @One_Vurfed_Gwrx You could always change it to an address in another matching state? My bonus $30 is going on Ace Attorney when it's out. :)
    I know when you buy something from the shop it just asks your state, so do I need to change my address (which is useful for using nintendo points (if they ever have anything I want to buy anyway...) and potential deals like the SMTIV/FE:A one.

Speaking of FE and SMTIV, they have too much DLC... Over $50 for FE and over $30 for SMTIV last I checked, need to find some good guides to what DLC is worthwhile and which isn't for them at some point (and finish the main games fist of course)
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next