Six nations rugby 2013 Page 10

• Page

of 11 First / Last

• elstoof 16 Mar 2013 21:02:40 7,025 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not only the caps, 10 of the English starting line up had never even played at the Liza Minellium Stadium before tonight.
  • Madder-Max 16 Mar 2013 23:20:41 11,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @captbirdseye I wish. Nah. Managed house and fucking hell. 7.45pm and everyone came in! Doubled our takings up to that point in just over one hour. Felt like I was england! A proper humping.

99 problems and being ginger is one

• king26 17 Mar 2013 19:08:31 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Great win for the boys over the old enemy. Fantastic Welsh display, too much for the English. And the look on Lancasters face was priceless! You can stick your fucking chariot up your arse!!
  • captbirdseye 17 Mar 2013 20:00:59 4,888 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I find it interesting that the whole nation stopped yesterday for that Welsh game yet club rugby is dying on its arse and will only get worse when Wales has two sides in the BPL.

Edited by captbirdseye at 20:01:17 17-03-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Mar 2013 20:04:02 16,956 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Jazzy_Geoff wrote:
    Absolutely furious with that performance. If I had to plead mitigating circumstances it would be the reffing of the scrum which was totally one -sided and gave wales the platform with which to attack England but they absolutely battered us in the second half.
    The ref's bias seemed to turn when Wales won a few scrums and it tends to be from my viewing experience that once the ref starts to give in one direction the bias tends to stay. The ref is quite famous for being pernickety and I'd be surprised if the players didn't also know that.

I'm still bouncing from the win, Wales were excellent and dominated almost every area of the pitch. The two scores seemed to be out of nothing but I think the fitness of England and the tackle count played into that and by the end Wales could well have had another try.

I can't help but also feel a certain level of smugness given the prematch build up and the supreme confidence of England that at the very least they'd win the championship and it was going to be close with England winning. Wales won that match as opposed to England losing it and I think the media have to take a look at themselves considering England haven't been confident winners of the six nations for a while.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Madder-Max 17 Mar 2013 20:25:11 11,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    On talk sport they said that england pissed off the ref near the start. Not sure of details

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Mr_Sleep 17 Mar 2013 20:29:59 16,956 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, it did seem that way. He definitely gave more in favour of Wales but then Wales also seemed to have the stronger scrum a lot of the time.

You are a factory of sadness.

• RedSparrows 17 Mar 2013 20:40:10 22,327 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm really not sure England had 'supreme confidence'. For all the troubles Wales have had, nobody with any sense has ever said they're not a very good team. You can't be major underdogs and shoving chariots up arses at the same time.

Edited by RedSparrows at 20:40:32 17-03-2013
  • X201 17 Mar 2013 20:46:58 15,274 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    On talk sport they said that england pissed off the ref near the start. Not sure of details
    Notwithstanding England being crap; as soon as he turned around to face the camera before kick-off I knew England were up against it. He's crucified them with penalties in every match of their's he's refereed.

Edited by X201 at 20:52:08 17-03-2013
  • Murbal 17 Mar 2013 21:24:27 22,090 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That Welsh back 3 really is world class. Just knew England would be up against it whatever my heart would say.

Doesn't help I have a fair few Welsh colleagues :-(
  • Trane 17 Mar 2013 22:40:18 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Euphoric, still in slight disbelief to be honest. Rewatched the game and scrum V (it's a highlights program in Wales) - it really was a special win.

Walsh is an odd ref, I have seen Cole play a lot in the last few years and I've never understood why he is so highly rated as a scrummager. He always seems to get decisions despite always slipping his bind, or putting his knee/hand on the floor - it seemed this weekend Walsh was onto him, I do wonder there was a whisper in his ear prior to the game to pay particular attention to it.

Wales just slightly better in every department, they ran harder, tackled harder and did everything with a bit more pace, strength and venom. Wood and Croft were AWOL. I do think the English defense stood up really well - Robshaw in particular, but they were smashed for so long gaps and opportunities were bound to appear. Easily our best performance since beating Ireland at the WC. And for me, the sweetest victory since beating Ireland for the slam in 05'
  • elstoof 17 Mar 2013 23:13:19 7,025 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you could just get some consistency you'd be world beaters - the best game you've played since Ireland at the WC is about right but you could achieve so much more.

All this talk of English smugness: it's something rival nations like to accuse us of but I'm not sure where it comes from. At least there's a desire to do more, the whole of Wales is thrilled at playing one decent game in the tournament - the first good game since beating Ireland at the WC indeed - and tht sema like its enough. As an English supporter, if we lost by less than 7 and took the title I'd be disappointed, wouldn't feel like a victory at all. It didn't 2 years ago that's for sure. Seems like expectations are lower for some reason across the border, when your team is capable of so much.
  • alexc7496 17 Mar 2013 23:24:23 1,777 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    England were poor no doubt and as an England fan it was painful too watch. Wales played better. Just frustrating, we were in the same position. 2 x years ago against Ireland and bottled it there.

A couple of notes I would say is a) Yes England played bad but when we play Wales at the WC it is at home. Wales don't tend to play at that sort of level on the road, although they're still pretty good and did beat us, just, last year I feel a home WC match with that atmosphere would be huge for England. b) As much as it may upset some of the other home nations IMO England is still the only home nations team who have a chance of winning the world cup. If you want proof of this just check the history. England (Apart from the 2012 shambles) always turn up at WC's and you always feel they would be the only ones who could turn over a NZ or Aussie team. No other home nations team has even made a final.
  • Trane 18 Mar 2013 00:15:09 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    alexc7496 wrote:
    A couple of notes I would say is a) Yes England played bad but when we play Wales at the WC it is at home. Wales don't tend to play at that sort of level on the road, although they're still pretty good and did beat us, just, last year I feel a home WC match with that atmosphere would be huge for England. b) As much as it may upset some of the other home nations IMO England is still the only home nations team who have a chance of winning the world cup. If you want proof of this just check the history. England (Apart from the 2012 shambles) always turn up at WC's and you always feel they would be the only ones who could turn over a NZ or Aussie team. No other home nations team has even made a final.
    Thanks, I'd forgotten you won the WC in 2003. :D

I honestly think recent history is more important, Wales were far better than England at the last WC - and have won both 6N tournaments since. How you think that is less relevant that the fact a completely different bunch of England players achieved more some years ago I really don't know =/

This coaching setup and core of the Wales teams has been together a long while, was it 790 caps yesterday I think? They will all be around going into 2015 as well. Hopefully they can just get some consistency and some SH scalps between now and then.
  • Murbal 18 Mar 2013 09:02:20 22,090 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So Trane, as a Welshman, does Howley cut it now after that dreadful autumn?
  • Trane 18 Mar 2013 09:18:16 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes - I think he takes a lot of credit, for sure. He showed a lot of stubbornness in the Autumn and simply did not pick his best 15, guys like Matthew Rees, Warburton, Shingler, Priestland were all being picked despite being out of form. Thankfully he ditched this naive attitude and has not been afraid to wield the axe and throw in guys who have been performing for their clubs, Paul James, Hibbard, Tipuric, Biggar etc (although Biggar was pretty much forced). The players who have been dropped have had to work hard then to get reselected, and have been much better for it.

Edited by Trane at 09:18:43 18-03-2013
  • Murbal 18 Mar 2013 09:25:16 22,090 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fortunately my Welsh colleague is off today ;-)
  • Trane 18 Mar 2013 10:03:27 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lol, I have English colleagues but I'm taking it easy on them today, I know how it feels to come off second best. I hate smugness and arrogance when it comes to sport, so I don't practice it much myself. One of the reasons the Welsh get accused of 'hating' the English is because of these traits, it mostly stems from the media building them up to be some superhuman entity. Oh, and people like Austin Healy
  • Murbal 18 Mar 2013 10:06:11 22,090 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Reminds me of an Aberdonian Taxi driver I had once; "it's not your f***ing players, it's your f***ing commentators."
  • Trane 18 Mar 2013 10:15:48 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah pretty much, English people are cool, lots of my friends are English. It's 99% down to people like John Inverdale :(
  • Jono62 18 Mar 2013 10:18:55 14,073 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's one of the reasons I try and avoid all build up to games, be it football, rugby, tennis, as the bias and hero worship does my head in.
  • JuanKerr 18 Mar 2013 10:21:36 36,241 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nothing is as bad as the Barcelona arse-licking though. Same goes for Brazil in the World Cup.
  • dr_swin 18 Mar 2013 10:21:51 4,887 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had the misfortune of watching that match with a friend/neighbour who supports Wales despite being English. His carping and gloating almost led to me throwing him out.
  • boo 18 Mar 2013 10:26:32 11,755 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Reminds me of an Aberdonian Taxi driver I had once; "it's not your f***ing players, it's your f***ing commentators."
    :oD

Most of them are ok, but if I never hear Brian Moore's voice again, it'll be too soon.

Just Another Lego Blog

• RedSparrows 18 Mar 2013 10:26:46 22,327 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My colleague is a massive English rugby fan, and he will be so blue :(

I quite agree with the commentator bollocks - same for me with English/British commentators and English PL clubs in the CL. Excruciating at points.

However, there is no doubt I've encountered many a fan, be they Welsh or English, who needed a good slap. Being in a pub in Cardiff when Wales beat England at Twickenham a few years back was horrible, and it really didn't need to be.
  • Zizoo 18 Mar 2013 10:39:52 8,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    I had the misfortune of watching that match with a friend/neighbour who supports Wales despite being English. His carping and gloating almost led to me throwing him out.
    I've never gotten this. There are loads of people here in South Africa who support New Zealand. I would understand if we were shit, but we aren't.
  • Alastair 18 Mar 2013 10:42:37 15,607 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trane wrote:
    Yeah pretty much, English people are cool, lots of my friends are English. It's 99% down to people like John Inverdale :(
    I grew up in the London suburbs and went to Heriot Watt uni in Edinburgh. I still remember the following comment:
    "I always thought all Englishmen were wankers Alastair, but actually you're alright."
    :)

Not as nice as I used to be

• agparrot 18 Mar 2013 10:43:16 11,903 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I can't help but also feel a certain level of smugness given the prematch build up and the supreme confidence of England that at the very least they'd win the championship and it was going to be close with England winning. Wales won that match as opposed to England losing it and I think the media have to take a look at themselves considering England haven't been confident winners of the six nations for a while.
    I completely agree with this - both the Mrs and I were a bit annoyed with all the pre-match predictions from the pundits - even within this tournament there have been quite a few unexpected results, and the six nations especially can see almost anything happen in the games once the balance has tipped in the favour of one team or other.

Before the tournament, every commentator and his dog was trotting onto the TV to say it might be close, but that France would win the Six Nations in the end. which just goes to show how much stock we should put in these kind of assertions.

As Sparrows says - the quality and experience of the team Wales brought could and should never be considered a team of underdogs - plenty of posters in this thread knew that playing in the dry would favour the team that kept the ball, played in hand and cut out the mistakes. A bit of that, and a lot of drive and energy from Wales earned them a deserved win. It's all well and good wondering what England could have done differently in terms of fielding players and different tactics, but I'm not sure anything would have made that much difference - they were beaten in the contest of the scrum, and that may have set the tone for the scrum refereeing, but that didn't make for any unfair rulings.

Bring on the World Cup!
  • TVoJ 18 Mar 2013 10:48:13 1,860 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The 6 nations fuckin does my head in big time!!!
    I'm no rugby fan, enjoyed playing it in school but never really learned all the rules. I still dont understand offside ffs!

what really grinds my gears is the amount of support wales gets during the tournament and the polar disparity with club rugby. As someone has mentioned, it is on its arse!

Ask someone at this time who they support? "wales innit!" "yeah i know wales but what club do you support?" "ah?"

its ignorance at its finest. Plastic plastic fans. Its just an excuse to get pissed and fight. All this and football gets a bad rep......
  • Trane 18 Mar 2013 11:00:44 4,050 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Why does it bother you? It is a shame there is lack of support for clubs, I'm an Ospreys season ticket holder and I despair at the lack of passion, and general attendance amongst the 'fans'. It mostly down to lack of identity with the regions unfortunately.

In France the situation is the opposite, massive support and attendance for clubs, indifference to the National game. Does this piss me off? No, not really. People are welcome to choose which they prefer.

There are a lot of plastic fans on the piss whenever I go to matches in the Millenium, which is frustrating, but I've never seen any fighting. Oh, and they all did us proud Saturday, in fine voice.
  • Page

of 11 First / Last