House of Cards Page 4

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Tom_Servo 16 Feb 2014 01:17:45 17,319 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think Doug maybe did, but I'm not sure. Tom was the old editor of the paper that Zoe would argue with.

Yeah I was thinking that Jackie might develop into the female Frank in the long-term, and I'm beginning to think I might be right.

Haha the stuff with Claire was ridiculously evil. "I'll let your baby wither and die in you"!!!!!

Anyway, just watched Ep3:

I think things are becoming clearer now. The slow-burn machinations have begun! The President is such an easily manipulated wet blanket though, surely it won't be too hard for Frank to get rid of him somehow? Hints of a future impeachment with Claire's suggestion of an affair with Christine?

Still not sure where this big entitlements bill that the episode was about fits in, but maybe it just functioned to show Frank's prowess in his new VP role and will work in his favour long-term sorta like the education bill did (IIRC, anyway)?

On Lucas and the hacker: I know we saw the scene with Stamper talking to his FBI buddy about launching an operation based on Lucas' post, so it'll be interesting to see if this is actually it or not. The stuff with the iPad and the thumbprint could be a red herring. It just seems too simple that Lucas has walked into a sting operation and now we're waiting on him being arrested (unless the FBI then find incriminating stuff in Underwood's phone data in the process of the sting that then turns the tables?).

So many thoughts! Excited to see how it all works out.

I hope it isn't one of those shows that gets strung out until it dies. I think three seasons might be about right for it to tell its story.
  • TarickStonefire 16 Feb 2014 05:30:54 2,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I realised as I watched last night that I rarely even pay attention to all the political talk. I have no idea what his goal is, I just watch to see who he takes out along the way. It's rare that I 'get it' except when they spell it out.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 16 Feb 2014 05:32:27 2,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Isn't that hacker a dweeb from ALways Sunny? Can't take him seriously!

• askew 16 Feb 2014 11:51:04 12,029 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's Dr Rapey from Mad Men!
  • Tom_Servo 16 Feb 2014 15:43:23 17,319 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Episode 4:

Claire's interview was intense. When the building went into lockdown I thought it might be a bit of a filler episode just about the Democrats trying to get the finance bill passed. The stuff with Claire really made it a great episode though.

And I guess that answers my questions about the hacker. I still think they'll find stuff about Frank in the process of the sting though.

Feels like there's only a few people watching this, thought the thread would be pretty busy!
  • Psychotext 16 Feb 2014 15:45:15 53,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's hard to even come in here given that the whole season is now available. I'm only four eps in and concerned about spoilers.

I think this format spoils discussion somewhat.

Edited by Psychotext at 15:45:37 16-02-2014
  • Tom_Servo 16 Feb 2014 15:46:19 17,319 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think if we all use spoiler tags for all discussion but mark what episodes we're talking about it should be okay.
  • TarickStonefire 16 Feb 2014 15:55:34 2,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I've watched 5, I find it all a bit boring now.

• Bremenacht 16 Feb 2014 18:54:58 17,613 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I get the impression that s2 will be similar to s1 in that rather a lot of episodes are apparently exposition (or filler, not to be kind) eventually leading up towards something conclusiveish.

I think I've wrote something similar before, but I'm not very keen on these American TV series that appear to create content with the aim of filling a set number of episodes, rather than having the content dictate the length of the series. Or maybe political dramas just turn out that way.
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2014 18:56:06 17,613 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I think if we all use spoiler tags for all discussion but mark what episodes we're talking about it should be okay.
    Yeah, I appreciate that. It's a good idea.

I'll hopefully watch a couple more episodes later and can then go back and read the right spoilers.
  • Bremenacht 17 Feb 2014 01:45:22 17,613 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Anyway, just watched Ep3:

I hope it isn't one of those shows that gets strung out until it dies. I think three seasons might be about right for it to tell its story.
    I've just finished 3.
    I thought it was good. The 'three feet away' comment! What an ambitious fucker. I think the undermining will continue, with him breaking up the relationship between the Pres and that Tusk guy, leaving the President exposed to what he throws at him next. Maybe he'll become Tusk's new pal. Maybe he'll just fuck him over! He seems to be putting enough people from the Houses into his pockets not to need such powerful support, and maybe the new chief whip will do all that for him.

I've no idea where the hacker thing is going. If anything comes out there, I'd have thought it would be the original VT, showing the shadowy figure in the hat and Zoe talking to him. You'd have thought that'd be noticed, but no mention of it. So far.

Rachel is the slow fuse for me. Stamper's control over her is clearly fragile. I can see her wanting to let the cat out of the bag, and I can see Stamper struggling to put it back in. Maybe FU will decide that's the time for Stamper to 'move on' (to the afterlife).

So far, so good. I can't see it going beyond three series. FU has to go out with a bang.
  • Anthony_UK 17 Feb 2014 02:46:07 2,459 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Season 2 is still great some 4 episodes in, but it seems an awful lot more heavy on the politics side of things. Some of the voting between the Republicans and Democrats, despite my best attempts leaves me a little lost if I'm honest.
  • Psychotext 17 Feb 2014 03:05:08 53,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished. Still wish they didn't do the show this way... that, or that I had the slightest patience / self control. :D
  • craigy Staff 17 Feb 2014 08:13:06 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Some excellent product placements in season 2, episode 2.
  • Humperfunk 20 Feb 2014 20:10:23 1,930 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just finished the first episode of season 2, goodness me was not expecting that!

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Kostabi 20 Feb 2014 20:13:09 4,874 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    Most of the season left me wondering when the Apple logo would appear on the White House itself.
  • Tom_Servo 20 Feb 2014 20:16:46 17,319 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I was physically taken aback when a Dell one appeared.

Watched Ep6 earlier:

Definitely sowing the seeds for exposing the affair between the President and Christine.

The President vs. Frank is such an unfair fight though, obviously Frank is going to win that one by making him look a fanny with the whole China thing. I wouldn't mind someone who can really take on Frank to come along.

Poor old Lucas :(
  • craigy Staff 20 Feb 2014 21:30:06 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Episode 5: I wish our server racks were that clean and shiny.
  • Psychotext 21 Feb 2014 02:05:02 53,808 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kostabi wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    Most of the season left me wondering when the Apple logo would appear on the White House itself.
    They gave Windows phone a pretty good showing in one ep.
  • alexm 21 Feb 2014 02:20:22 246 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Finished Season 2: Enjoyed it overall but felt it jumped the shark on a number of occasions.

1. Threesome
    2. Tusk pulling the plug on the city's power to get one over on Frank before he could throw the first pitch.
    3. Feng generally acting like a Bond villain

• CharlieStCloud 21 Feb 2014 08:22:03 5,054 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Just finished. Still wish they didn't do the show this way... that, or that I had the slightest patience / self control. :D
    This article is talking about folks like you!

Binge-viewing the entire season in mere days.

... I am only on episode four and that's because I simply do not have time to watch it every night like I wish I could do.

: (
  • Fab4 21 Feb 2014 08:28:48 5,976 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    They gave Windows phone a pretty good showing in one ep.
    They've used an entire range of products...even Blackberry :D
  • CharlieStCloud 21 Feb 2014 08:35:01 5,054 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    Psychotext wrote:
    Kostabi wrote:
    craigy wrote:
    They gave Windows phone a pretty good showing in one episode.
    They've used an entire range of products... even Blackberry.
    ... and God of War Ascension multi-player on the PlayStation 3.

I believe DELL (computers) crops up every now and again too!
  • craigy Staff 21 Feb 2014 09:04:46 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @alexm wow, you watched 'em quickly!
  • craigy Staff 21 Feb 2014 09:13:25 7,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The product placement thing is addressed quite well by Fincher in the commentaries he did for the first few episodes of season one. There are a lot of misconceptions about how it works and what actually is product placement.

His take on it is that people freak out whenever a Mac appears and scream "product placement!!11", when the reality of the world is that many politicians do use Macs, iPhones, Dells, Windows Phones, Blackberries, and all manner of other things. The Apple products that appear aren't paid placements -- they did the set design of Underwood's office based on reference photos of the actual whip's office.

The majority of phones and computers that appear are not because of paid placement, but because it's supposed to be real life and having those devices absent from the world would be weird.
  • askew 21 Feb 2014 09:17:52 12,029 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah - if everybody was using the same phone than it could be considered placement, but there are competing brands and devices being used by different characters.

Three episodes left... it sagged a little in the middle, but it's picking up pace again!
  • TarickStonefire 21 Feb 2014 09:18:04 2,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    We had to take a break after watching first 5 or 6 eps in two days. There's no good guys, so it's a really heavy show to watch. By comparison True Detective, a genuinely brooding show, feels like a summer breeze to watch.

Realised the difference is you're rooting for, sympathising with the main characters in TD. In House Of Cards all the main characters are cunts, and those who aren't get beaten down.

• TarickStonefire 21 Feb 2014 09:19:32 2,897 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    The product placement thing is addressed quite well by Fincher in the commentaries he did for the first few episodes of season one. There are a lot of misconceptions about how it works and what actually is product placement.

His take on it is that people freak out whenever a Mac appears and scream "product placement!!11", when the reality of the world is that many politicians do use Macs, iPhones, Dells, Windows Phones, Blackberries, and all manner of other things. The Apple products that appear aren't paid placements -- they did the set design of Underwood's office based on reference photos of the actual whip's office.

The majority of phones and computers that appear are not because of paid placement, but because it's supposed to be real life and having those devices absent from the world would be weird.
    And then you've got "I sure do love my Sony Playstation Vita, what are the latest games you have available for that?" or whatever it was he said in S1. Then in S2 that blatant full screen GoW shot. Bless them.

• robthehermit 21 Feb 2014 09:41:22 3,969 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Finished this last night. Good stuff. I think one more season is the limit though, it will just start getting all a bit silly if they try and carry on any further. Perhaps a slightly longer season might not be a bad thing though.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Page

of 7 First / Last