House of Cards Page 3

• Page

of 8 First / Last

• Bremenacht 15 May 2013 20:48:36 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just finished. A bit disappointed. Once it really started building events upon events within the (fairly thin) core plotline it got interesting, but the whole thing was too drawn out and ultimately led to that most horrid of modern American TV series hallmarks: a massive open end. A series -sorry- season that serves mostly to lead into a second season? I don't like that. Quite anti-climatic. Or are climatic TV series so very 90s or something?

Cynical structure aside, I liked the performances. All the exposition of Underwood's background could lead to something. His wife was just as interesting. Tempted to say not enough dark humour, but maybe I've been a bit too expectant of something like the original.

Talking of the original, I just started it again. Opening scene: Urqhart looking at a framed photo of Margaret Thatcher, saying "Nothing lasts forever"
  • Psychotext 15 May 2013 21:16:56 55,032 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just started watching it. Good stuff so far (first two eps).
  • Bremenacht 16 May 2013 01:47:58 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hope you enjoy it.

Finished watching the original S1 again. What a contrast! Seems almost rushed compared to the new one. And slightly shabby in a classic British way, compared to the slickness of the American stuff. Very good though. Ian Richardson was brilliant. Oh, and so much more talking and joking with the audience. He enjoys you taking an interest in his behaviour! Except when he does something he doesn't want you to witness. I wish there was more of this in the American series.

One thing that's reinforced watching the original is the old pun in the title. It doesn't suit the characters in the American series.

Edited by Bremenacht at 01:56:29 16-05-2013
  • Deleted user 16 May 2013 09:23:01
    Couldn't watch the original after finishing the superb us one. Watched a couple episodes but just looks ancient and thrown together.
  • Bremenacht 16 May 2013 18:27:17 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It does look old and a bit primitive but didn't you enjoy Urqhart? At all?
  • Bremenacht 10 Feb 2014 19:58:25 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deleted user wrote:
    Couldn't watch the original after finishing the superb us one. Watched a couple episodes but just looks ancient and thrown together.
    Who was this? I can't remember. I'm guessing mowgli.
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2014 20:04:47 69,479 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah still showing up as mowgli on the Android app.
  • thelzdking 10 Feb 2014 20:08:33 4,413 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm yet to watch the American one, but the original is one of the most brilliant TV series I've ever seen.
  • Bremenacht 10 Feb 2014 20:22:41 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah still showing up as mowgli on the Android app.
    Haha! I can recognise mowgli prose! Ehhhh. Go me.

thelzdking wrote:
    I'm yet to watch the American one, but the original is one of the most brilliant TV series I've ever seen.
    Well worth it. It's long-winded and filled out (rather like Spacey's Urquhart ho ho) in the American HBO-style way, but it's still quite good. Some have said Spacey carries it, but I think Robin Wright's character is as good. She's stone cold.

Worth getting Netflix for a month to see for yourself. If they release s2 in one big hit (as they did for s1), you could see the lot inside one month.
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2014 20:27:26 69,479 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They are, released Friday I think
  • Youthist 10 Feb 2014 21:14:23 10,083 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I want the smug cunt to get his compeuppance but the fact series 3 is already commissioned makes me think this might not happen.

Edited by Youthist at 21:14:47 10-02-2014

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• ISmoke 11 Feb 2014 20:19:38 678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I started this recently and I'm chapter 10. My friend recommended it to me and even though I didn't think it would be for me I'm now hooked. Never thought political shows would appeal to me. Once i've finished this and season two i've been told to watch The West Wing.

I can't quite work out if I like Frank Underwood or if I hate him
  • Humperfunk 11 Feb 2014 20:21:34 2,490 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Started this yesterday, on episode 5 now. Absolutely superb.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• magicpanda 14 Feb 2014 10:56:54 13,470 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Season 2 is up on Netflix!
  • AcidSnake 14 Feb 2014 11:12:04 7,297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Great news! I only just finished with the first one the other day...

Thought it was a very good series with only one huge disconnect where Peter is murdered...That just seemed like a step too far for Frank no matter how he justifies it...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Whizzo 14 Feb 2014 11:16:17 43,350 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:Thought it was a very good series with only one huge disconnect where Peter is murdered...That just seemed like a step too far for Frank no matter how he justifies it...
    Not started the second season yet but I wouldn't be too surprised if that comes back, he's in the passenger seat, no-one who kills themselves like that would do it from there. Something any cop should be suspicious of.

Have now watched the first episode of season 2 er nice to know that particular plot element hadn't been forgotten about!

Really big spoiler for episode 1 having watched the original series I wondered if Frank would do what Francis did, yup...

Edited by Whizzo at 22:23:21 14-02-2014

This space left intentionally blank.

• CharlieStCloud 15 Feb 2014 11:12:42 5,523 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watched the first episode of the second series.

My mouth swiftly cupped my overly gasp-inducing mouth near the end.

... and the talking to us in the mirror at the end was absolutely blooming brilliant! I was almost laughing when that happened as I kept thinking Francis has not uttered a single word (to the camera) throughout the episode.

Well, they have certainly got my attention now.

: )
  • craigy Staff 15 Feb 2014 11:19:31 7,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It started slowly, but the climax to the first episode in season two was excellent!
  • CosmicFuzz 15 Feb 2014 11:38:42 25,609 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    craigy wrote:
    It started slowly, but the climax to the first episode in season two was excellent!
    Sounds like my kind of valentine's night!

Come listen to us discuss the Playstation Experience in Episode 11 of Open Source. zoolophage writes in!

• craigy Staff 15 Feb 2014 14:12:41 7,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hah, I wish! Was in bed by 9.30, and not in a kinky way.
  • Fab4 15 Feb 2014 15:37:06 6,216 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fantastic first episode to S2. Fantastically brutal.
  • Tom_Servo 15 Feb 2014 20:20:38 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just watched the first episode of season two. Woof.

I think everyone probably saw Frank pushing Zoe under the train coming, but I'm glad they made it fairly obvious it was going to happen. Had a sick feeling in my stomach during the whole scene.

DON'T DELETE THE TEXTS WHAT ARE YOU DOING
  • Bremenacht 15 Feb 2014 22:31:12 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fuck! fuck fuck fuck.

I didn't think that would happen. At all. Maybe I should have, but as a viewer, I was completely manipulated into believing that what was offered would happen. A brilliant reference back to the originals too. I can only imagine it'll be a bit dull for a while now, but perhaps the only things to expect are surprises.
  • Tom_Servo 15 Feb 2014 22:32:34 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I meant to say: massive kudos to Whizzo for spotting the passenger seat thing. I hadn't noticed that at the time, never mind predicted the part it would play!
  • Bremenacht 15 Feb 2014 22:34:08 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @CharlieStCloud Ha! Yeah, that was quite brilliant. A real Fuck U to the viewers.
  • Tom_Servo 15 Feb 2014 22:37:44 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm pretty sure we were supposed to see it coming. The scene with Frank in the ribs joint really spelled it out, and we now know he'll kill people who get in his way. The scene in the subway was absolutely dread-filled, it ratcheted it up brilliantly.

I was a little disappointed in Zoe for completely falling for it since she had suspicions that Frank was capable of murder, or at least being involved in a man's death in some way.

Still, I guess you don't really think someone's going to throw you in front of a train...
  • Bremenacht 15 Feb 2014 23:10:18 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The sense of threat was strong, but I thought she was playing it safe, but then she followed him quickly and..

I'm hoping the rib-joint advice was setting the tone for the whole series. Clearly, FU is no fan of Kobe beef.
  • Bremenacht 15 Feb 2014 23:11:09 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OH - good advice for casual readers: do not glance at these spoilers if you have any intention of watching these series. They will spoil it.
  • Tom_Servo 15 Feb 2014 23:46:18 18,082 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A few thoughts on Episode 2:

The plot with Lucas is great. Thought the bit with Tom was excellent. I like the tension created by him being on Frank's trail and the fact that Frank doesn't even know Lucas exists. However, it feels like we're just waiting for a breakthrough in his investigation to get things moving.

I'm not sure where all the stuff with Jackie fits in, or Frank's general business as VP. I mean, his goal was to be VP, right? So now we're just watching him be VP and waiting for Lucas to bring him his comeuppance?

Maybe the stuff with Jackie will all slot into place later, but right now it's admittedly interesting but I'm not sure what the bigger picture is.
  • Bremenacht 16 Feb 2014 00:01:46 19,648 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought he knew of Lucas? Or am I thinking of Stamper? Which one was Tom? I've forgotten half the names, it seems.

I'm thinking Jackie will be Franks new squeeze. She'll do everything he wants. The sexual tension will be great, and his wife will hate her, 'cos she'll rival her for ambition (and fertility!).

Given what happened with his wife -what a monster!- she'll need something else to sink her teeth into.

Holding off watching ep2 'til tomorrow.
  • Page

of 8 First / Last