The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Wii U Page 25

• Page

of 25 First / Last

Next
  • Ror1984 4 Jan 2014 22:51:43 2,851 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    And done. Final time in activity log says just over 52 hours! You can probably knock about ten off of that where I've just left it on pause for a while here and there, though.

Really enjoyed the final battle, but who's bright idea was Snake Puppet Ganon!?

FFXIV: ARR - Khroma Midgard, Odin.

• Armoured_Bear 19 Jan 2014 11:55:14 10,292 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Dragon Roost Cavern really looks stunning in HD :-)

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Red_Bool 12 May 2014 11:08:45 1,173 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So this is now the second Zelda game I have bought two times...
    The other one being Ocarina of Time, which I have on N64 and bought on 3DS (and actually also have as part of the GC Windwaker Special Edition...)

It looks and plays truly glorious on the Wii U! (but I guess you already knew that ;))

Luckily its been over 10 years since I played the original, so I've forgotten most of the details (only a mild sense of deya-vu every now and then :))
  • marcgiu 1 Jun 2014 21:32:26 125 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    just got this free with mk8 - never played it first time round.....its genius
  • Darren 9 Jun 2014 13:03:46 8,702 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I loved this game when it came out on the GC but I never finished it, I suspect because I got lost or stuck. I'm thoroughly enjoying the HD version having already put around a dozen hours into it and it looks just as good as I remembered it (obviously it looks far better but you know what I mean). It makes good use of the Gamepad as well in terms of a permanently displayed inventory and map. My only (minor) issue with the game so far are the camera clipping through scenery, people and objects, usually during dialogue sequences, and I suspect most of that comes from the image being formatted for 16:9 widescreen but not the camera. It's only a minor blemish though.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Trendyninja 9 Jun 2014 13:11:03 93 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still not too sure which free game to go with from the offer given with Mario Kart 8. I'm drawn towards Wind Waker as I never completed it on the Gamecube.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
  • Darren 9 Jun 2014 13:25:17 8,702 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trendyninja wrote:
    I'm still not too sure which free game to go with from the offer given with Mario Kart 8. I'm drawn towards Wind Waker as I never completed it on the Gamecube.

Any suggestions or recommendations?
    I personally think it is a good choice as the download size is small and it's a game you already know you like (presumably, otherwise you wouldn't even be considering it). It's a very good remaster IMO (the bloom may annoy some though) with widescreen presentation and crisp 1080p visuals. Only the camera clipping and minor framerate drops during boss battles mar the overall polish.

For me, it was a choice between Zelda: WW HD, Pikmin 3 and The Wonderful 101, all great games but the Wonderful 101 is 13 GB so I bought that on disc and I wanted Zelda on disc as well so I opted for Pikmin 3 in the end, it being something I knew I'd enjoy but wasn't desperate to own/play. However, now I've played Pikmin 3 I wish I had bought it on disc and picked up Monster Hunter 3 as a freebie instead!

Seeing Zelda: WW HD running in 1080p makes me wish that Nintendo would re-release Super Mario Sunshine and even the two Super Mario Galaxy games in HD as well.

Edited by Darren at 13:26:25 09-06-2014

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• CharlieStCloud 9 Jun 2014 16:00:01 5,090 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finished!

... started on the 9th of January and watched the credits roll five months later. This is what happens when you just simply do not have time to play games very often, boo-hoo.

I played this game on GameCube and enjoyed it immensely right up until the tri-force shards quest begun; never before had a game set up the most painfully obvious padding out of all time. I hated it then, and whilst still unbearable, I struggled through it knowing there was only eight shard pieces (to collect) this time round.

Going down a hole and fighting five, thirty and/or fifty rooms of enemies is an exercise in tedium and is the reason why I could never bring myself to accept that The Wind Waker is a 10/10 game.

Not only that, you had to fight all four main bosses at the end, again.

The ending is fairly ho-hum, but Nintendo are never one for a decent closure to their games. You guys kept going on about 'snake Ganon'? Well, I managed to swiftly bring the battle to an end with very little bother although I can see why some folks may find that a bit more tricky after the previous slow paced boss(es).

I certainly hope we see the unveiling of a new Zelda game tomorrow!

\o/

p.s. Easily one of the best looking game of all time, and credit to Pitmonkey for capturing these moments:

Edited by CharlieStCloud at 16:32:02 09-06-2014
  • ilmaestro 20 Jun 2014 09:20:04 32,406 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Finally played this thanks to MK8, bowled over by how good the game still looks thanks to the update. Getting the swift sail to show up in the auction house is definitely a nause though, it was borderline the most important part of the update so I don't understand why it wasn't just purchasable directly.

• the_milkybar_kid 20 Jun 2014 10:13:57 175 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Only realised this had downloaded after watching the comedy England sketch. I bought the Wii U for Mario Kart, but I feel this will be the real showcase. My god. It's absolutely beautiful, silky smooth and just from the intro has charm in spades. Haven't had this sort of fuzzy feeling about a game for years. Had a sense of 'holy shit' and wonderment at GTAV and TLOU, but not like this.
  • Raiko101 24 Jun 2014 19:45:50 6,078 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm finding this game to be a bit of a chore, to be honest. The controls are a little clunky. I'm not sure why that's bothering me so much, considering I don't consider them to be an issue in Ocarina of Time.

Whilst I like the idea of sailing, it's a very slow experience in this game. I don't like how big the map is. I don't like having to change the wind direction all the time. I much prefer the more direct, speedier, sailing in Phantom Hourglass.

I've also found the first few dungeons to have annoying bosses I either am not sure how to beat, of feel like i'm not doing much, if any, damage to. The camera lock on doesn't seem to work as well in this game thanks to the greater number of enemies on screen. You're more likely to lock onto somebody behind you, if they're closer than the enemy you're facing and trying to hit.

I do like that the game throws some interesting items your way, quite early on, but the game feels like too much work. I want to explore, but it takes too long to get around and when you find something, the reward isn't always that great.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Sharzam 24 Jun 2014 20:03:19 2,721 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Your going to kick yourself, but the sailing and changing direction is all fixed by the new 'Fast Sail' you buy it from the night auction.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Raiko101 24 Jun 2014 21:05:31 6,078 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Can I buy that at any time?

• Ror1984 24 Jun 2014 21:07:13 2,851 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apparently it shows up at random in the Windfall Island auction house. I think it took me about sixteen attempts though, and I had to take a few other items out of circulation. I think you can go for it at any point, though.

• Ror1984 24 Jun 2014 21:08:30 2,851 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually, I just read that you have to complete Dragoon Roost first.

• Pinky_Floyd 24 Jun 2014 21:30:41 7,427 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Fast sail is awesome, read up on how to get it but just make sure you get it at the first opportunity.
  • Raiko101 24 Jun 2014 23:05:49 6,078 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Cheers for that. I imagined it was some late game unlockable. Though the weather system seems to be quite random in this game.

• Page

of 25 First / Last

Next