The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Wii U Page 3

• Page

of 25 First / Last

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2013 10:52:49 10,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    I'm the one in the fantasy world?

Literally everything I've said about the WiiU has come true, and I've posted detailed reasons behind my assessment of both Nintendo's strategy and the ultimate fate of the WiiU in this light.
    You're a veritable Soothsayer.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• LeoliansBro 12 Jun 2013 11:00:04 43,004 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And you are a blinkered fanboy.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2013 11:03:18 10,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    And you are a blinkered fanboy.
    Of course I am, I only ever post positive stuff about nintendo, I never criticise anything about them.
    You're right.

• LeoliansBro 12 Jun 2013 11:04:35 43,004 posts
    Seen 26 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You criticise short term and express disappointment at past mistakes. You unshakingly believe that things will come good and there are great times ahead, despite this.

Fanboy.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• roz123 12 Jun 2013 11:07:30 7,112 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Some footage of the game from the show floor
  • DFawkes 12 Jun 2013 11:12:04 22,527 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So are there any bits in this I should look out for as being notoriously irritating? Thanks to gaming pop culture, I was already prepared for the Water Temple and "Hey, listen!" in Ocarina. I've never really followed Wind Waker so I'm unsure. I saw Jive mention a "triforce trawl" near the end - I take it this is just some sort of fetch question near the end that's a bit tedious?

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• AcidSnake 12 Jun 2013 11:17:21 7,207 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DFawkes:
    Quite tedious indeed...
    Otherwise the number of dungeons is slightly more limited than others in the series, but they are quite enjoyable...

Also don't make the same mistake I did at the beginning and just assume the direction of the wind can only be north, east, south, west... :)

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2013 11:23:56 10,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You criticise short term and express disappointment at past mistakes. You unshakingly believe that things will come good and there are great times ahead, despite this.

Fanboy.
    I criticise current mistakes and have said many, many times that I think the console will sell poorly. Believing that there will be great games released on it despite the poor sales and mistakes isn't being a fanboy, it's being realistic, it's what has happened with every single console that Nintendo has released except for the Virtual Boy.

• Fake_Blood 12 Jun 2013 11:32:49 4,018 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In the nintendo direct they briefly showed that you can speed up the ship this time around, should make the getting around a bit less tedious.
    Insta-buy for me this one.
  • DFawkes 12 Jun 2013 11:34:48 22,527 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    AcidSnake wrote:
    Also don't make the same mistake I did at the beginning and just assume the direction of the wind can only be north, east, south, west... :)
    Cheers, shall definitely keep this in mind, as that's exactly the sort of thing that I'd not realise.

• Raiko101 12 Jun 2013 15:15:29 6,013 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm picking this up because I skipped thie GameCube during it's day. I've played a few GC games on the Wii, but this one avoided me. I hope it's as good as some people say. I liked having smaller islands to explore in Phantom Hourglass.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Armoured_Bear 12 Jun 2013 15:20:42 10,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    I'm picking this up because I skipped thie GameCube during it's day. I've played a few GC games on the Wii, but this one avoided me. I hope it's as good as some people say. I liked having smaller islands to explore in Phantom Hourglass.
    It's not perfect but it's incredibly charming and gorgeous, I envy you.

• kinky_mong 12 Jun 2013 15:36:47 9,902 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    No tah, already got a Gamecube.
    Enjoy your fuzzy, low res version, I'll be playing in 1080p at 60fps on a 65" Plasma whilst pointing and laughing at you.
    Bravo! :applause:

Also...

mrpon wrote:

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Toonster 12 Jun 2013 17:42:40 6,834 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently the Triforce hunt has been revamped, which should please some people. I personally didn't mind it. Traveling around the world of Wind Waker was a joy, even during the hunt for the shards. Wonder if they'll throw in a new dungeon or two?

3DS: 0361-6951-2609 (Tom)

• Kay 12 Jun 2013 18:01:12 17,732 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They might have streamlined it a little, maybe lowered the rupee requirements to purchase each shard map or whatever it was. I really doubt they'll be adding in any real new content, otherwise they'd have mentioned it by now.
  • Dravos 14 Jun 2013 11:57:36 177 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I'll probably be picking this up, but does anyone else think, whilst this is increased resolution, the gamecube version looked better in some areas?

I've seen some side by sides where shadowing over link changes his feel from a 2 tone cellshading, to a more 3d look because it's completely coverering him.

I think the shadows to wonders for the environment as a whole, so this is only a minor nag for me.

3DS FC: 2664-2580-8829

• JoeGBallad 24 Jun 2013 17:04:57 383 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dravos I agree. I think Wind Waker HD looks lovely, but it's lost a little bit of the distinctive visual sheen of the Gamecube original. The shadows are less harsh, the colours are brighter and more saturated; things like that. Of course, common knowledge dictates that these are good things, but in reality they work against the expressive, 'flat' cartoon look that was so magical in the original.

Wind Waker HD still looks a lot nicer than pretty much everything else shown at E3 this year.

Wind Waker SD looks a lot nicer than pretty much everything else ever.

If you aren't utterly disgusted by me please check out my videogames show at:

www.youtube.com/BitSocket

• Armoured_Bear 19 Aug 2013 12:31:55 10,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Linky

Hyrule is a big place, and thatíll be reflected in a 2.6gb memory requirement if you download the upcoming The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD from the Nintendo eShop.

Itís a fairly modest requirement, especially when compared with most other modern titles. With its new HD polish the game is looking better than ever, so it should be worth every single kilobyte.

It has also been confirmed that the game will render in 1080p, that surround sound is an option, and that you can use a pro-controller if you wish.

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD launches worldwide in October.

• DFawkes 19 Aug 2013 12:39:08 22,527 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Last time they said something was 1080p, it was a mistake. Not saying it is again, but it's possible. Still, the place they confirm it is the japanese official site, so unless Google Translate is mis-interpreting the text around "1080p" it looks legit for now.

• Pinky_Floyd 19 Aug 2013 12:51:58 7,239 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, everything I have read about it from Nintendo themselves has been 1080p so if they somehow go back on that it will be a disappointment.
  • Armoured_Bear 19 Aug 2013 13:29:47 10,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    Last time they said something was 1080p, it was a mistake. Not saying it is again, but it's possible. Still, the place they confirm it is the japanese official site, so unless Google Translate is mis-interpreting the text around "1080p" it looks legit for now.
    I think they've claimed it's 1080p all the time, both that ans Smash Bros.

IIRC it's Mario Kart that some people thought was 1080p but isn't.

• DFawkes 19 Aug 2013 13:39:39 22,527 posts
    Seen 19 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The one I was thinking was NSMBU. The official US site stated "Experience Mario like never before... in full 1080p HD, only on the Wii U console!" (only screengrab I could find), but it wasn't accurate and was corrected.

• Pinky_Floyd 21 Aug 2013 08:12:51 7,239 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    1080p is a huge jump from what this was originally.

ICO ams SOTC HD managed to hit 720p and looked good enough to eat.† Dont think they hit 60fps either but they are my benchmark HD releases for how much of a visual upgrade is possible when it is done well.†

I am all for deserving games to get a proper HD upgrade.† My list of deserving is pretty small though and probably doesnt include the likes of sly racoon.†
  • famous_roy 21 Aug 2013 08:33:33 4,097 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JoeGBallad Absolutely spot on.

The problem is most punters don't understand art direction, they think better grafix are down to polycounts, post processing effects etc. Nothing could be further from the truth. I've often had discussions where someone thinks a game looks good, e.g. Journey, but not be able to put their finger on why. The answer is strong, minimal art direction.

This new treatment works against the ageless art of the first game. It worked because the colours are flat, the palettes gorgeous and the effects and animation work so hard to bring everything to life.

How well WW has aged is testament to this, look at Ocarina, TWP, or pretty much any other game from the last gen, very few hold up quite as well.

WWHD looks great, but the plasticy shaders make the characters clash with the environments, the bloom washes out the beautiful colours, the result is a slick but muddled look.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Pinky_Floyd 21 Aug 2013 08:37:20 7,239 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did put WW on the gamecube quite recently and while the artwork is brilliant it suffers on both clarity and aspect ratio.†

I think the new one will be the perfect compliment, its not as if the old one has disappeared, it can be played on Gamecube or emulated via Dolphin, on which it looks gorgeous.†
  • Armoured_Bear 22 Aug 2013 21:55:08 10,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Some new info

- Triforce quest Ė the five Triforce pieces can now be grabbed directly
    - Only the remaining three require translated charts instead of eight
    - Hero Mode available from the start
    - Picto Box has been upgraded
    - Upgraded camera could still be used to snap photos of unsuspecting villagers or enemies
    - Pictures can go up on Miiverse
    - Link can also take funny self-photographs
    - Switch between happy, sad, and surprised emotions
    - Get the Swift Sail at the auction house after completion of the first dungeon
    - No alert via an in-game prompt to signal the special sails availability
    - No longer possible to accidentally skip Tingleís island, as the developers have inserted an introduction to the quirky character into the main quest
    - Enhanced first-person camera
    - Can now have full movement in that perspective
    - Can travel through hallways and shoot arrows like youíre in a FPS

• Kay 22 Aug 2013 21:58:56 17,732 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I had a Wii U I'd definitely be looking forward to this. I've only ever played it the once, and the subtle tweaks and additions sound good. Although some proper new content would have been nice.
  • Kay 22 Aug 2013 21:58:57 17,732 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If I had a Wii U I'd definitely be looking forward to this. I've only ever played it the once, and the subtle tweaks and additions sound good. Although some proper new content would have been nice.
  • famous_roy 22 Aug 2013 22:02:56 4,097 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Pinky_Floyd

In all honesty, I am warming to it. The fact it's widescreen and HD does most of the persuading - and occasionally the bloom effect in particular adds a lot to the atmosphere.

I still think they should have treated it as a cel animation, rather than making the characters appear like action figures, but it really hasn't lost much.

I'm papercaves on the Twitter. This is mah Tumblr and I'm ulysseys31 on PSN :D

• Pinky_Floyd 23 Aug 2013 00:01:42 7,239 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    http://www.usgamer.net/articles/the-legend-of-zelda-makes-a-surprisingly-good-first-person-shooter
  • Page

of 25 First / Last