Should I take the Windows 8 offer?

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Shikasama 30 Jan 2013 22:48:23 6,609 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This is driving me crazy. I found out about the 24.99 Windows 8 upgrade offer today and I know it ends tomorrow but I can't decide whether to actually get it or not. Part of me thinks that for the price it'd be daft not to but the other part thinks...do I even need to?

Trying to read around the subject just ends up in reading a hundred articles on why Metro is shit/awesome but I get the impression that it comes with a lot of performance enhancing features - although this mostly seems to be aimed at laptops.

I dig the fact that the SkyDrive integration is all about the cloud and what have you, but I have a Blackberry phone (shadap) and a Google Nexus. The Google services I'm integrated with are accessible from Windows 7 so I don't think I get the benefit from switching 'interference in daily life' provider.

Anybody else taken the offer?
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 22:49:42
    Buy it, install pokki, be happy.

Yes.
  • captainrentboy 30 Jan 2013 22:56:11 963 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why pay 25 pound when you can pay 15? http://www.windowsupgradeoffer.com/en-GB
    I went through that site in November, picked a random Dell PC as the one I had just 'bought' and they sent me the download link no problems. :)
  • Nazo 30 Jan 2013 22:56:30 339 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yes definitely, my old XP laptop runs much better since I put Win 8 on it. I don't regret changing at all.

You can always dual boot it.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 22:56:47
    I used it to upgrade last last year. Quick, painless and yeah, my system seemed more responsive.

It can be quite traumatic at first but doesn't take long to adapt and personally the change is not as intrusive or destructive as some might have you believe.
  • Chopsen 30 Jan 2013 22:58:55 15,724 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Windows 8 adds nothing for the end user. It's not awful, but the changes from 7 are all aabout MS long term startergy. There is nothing to recommend it.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 23:05:43
    Chopsen wrote:
    Windows 8 adds nothing for the end user. It's not awful, but the changes from 7 are all aabout MS long term startergy. There is nothing to recommend it.
    Despite what I said, I infinitely agree with this. Win8 is more a re-branding exercise than anything else and a move towards a more personal phone/tablet experience than the typical enterprise desktop. Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if SP1 or 2 tried to integrate XBL in to it even more than it leeches at the edges right now.
  • Gl3n Moderator 30 Jan 2013 23:13:37 5,317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just scored a free copy from a friend. Should i even bother upgrading from my clean windows 7 install?

Just sounds like a load of bullshit to put up with.

PSN: Glendemic Xbox: Gl3n Steam: Gl3n

• Deleted user 30 January 2013 23:25:59
    It has some things that are worth upgrading for, depending on how you use your PC. The task manager is brilliant, file transfer is improved and more informative, and snapping stuff to the side can really help out with workflow (having a calendar, to-do list or dictionary/thesaurus separate from the desktop but constantly visible is handy for me).

But like I said about usage, if these are minor, even irrelevant things for you, there's no point upgrading. If all you do is web browse, play games and watch films, it's superfluous.
  • superdelphinus 30 Jan 2013 23:35:51 8,035 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    For fuck's sake it's an operating system
  • yegon 30 Jan 2013 23:43:41 5,167 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How long till 7 no longer supports the latest DirectX?
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 23:45:11
    Don't think it fully supports DX11.1 already.
  • neilka 30 Jan 2013 23:47:46 15,664 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    That's 0.1 higher than DX11, for when you need that extra push over the cliff.
  • yegon 30 Jan 2013 23:49:48 5,167 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Don't think it fully supports DX11.1 already.
    That rings a bell actually, I've not been keeping up. Thing is, the only thing I use my pc for is games, and (confession time) my Windows 7 install is the first, store bought legit version I've had of Windows since, err, ever, so I want to milk a few more years from it really.
  • Aretak 31 Jan 2013 00:36:48 10,345 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I don't think that's true. There are loads of little improvements over Windows 7 that I've noticed over the months I've been using it. It boots a lot faster, runs a bit better in general, looks nicer (IMO anyway, Aero is hideously dated) and whilst it's a big adjustment, I'm now fully sold on the Start screen. It's just better than the button once you tailor it to your needs.

Despite all the negative publicity, I think it's a pretty good OS and objectively an improvement on W7.
  • Dirtbox 31 Jan 2013 00:42:07 77,469 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, I don't really have a problem with it any more. It's just a bit of a pointless upgrade from 7 if you're using a desktop.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Chopsen 31 Jan 2013 00:48:21 15,724 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having moved to 8 myself on a couple of devices, did not feel particularly impressed with booting speed personally. Having a fresh install has always made things feel a bit more responsive and nippy. Don't need an upgrade for that. Aesthetics are not an objective improvement, just different and a matter of taste and in any case I think it's quite marginal.

There *are* improvements, but they're marginal and certainly not really worth spending any money on. There are also negative, and they're not insignificant. For me it instantly broke my Cisco VPN connection interface for work and my printer drivers, which are kinda important for me :)

Would I spend money on windows 8 for a computer I had windows 7? No.
    Would I install windows 8 for free on a PC that had Windows 7? No.
    Would I go out of my way to install Windows 7 on a computer I bought that happened to have Windows 8 on? No.

Edited by Chopsen at 00:48:38 31-01-2013
  • Shikasama 31 Jan 2013 08:43:43 6,609 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    meme wrote:
    It has some things that are worth upgrading for, depending on how you use your PC. The task manager is brilliant, file transfer is improved and more informative, and snapping stuff to the side can really help out with workflow (having a calendar, to-do list or dictionary/thesaurus separate from the desktop but constantly visible is handy for me).

But like I said about usage, if these are minor, even irrelevant things for you, there's no point upgrading. If all you do is web browse, play games and watch films, it's superfluous.
    I think this pretty much hits the nail on the head for me. All of my productivity stuff is on my tablet and my PC is basically used as an entertainment device.

Think I'll probably pass up on it
  • THFourteen 31 Jan 2013 08:51:33 32,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have had it on my laptop for the last six months.

Find it pretty and fun to use tbh.
  • Buztafen 31 Jan 2013 09:04:36 16,066 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm pretty sure i've asked this before...but with the 15 new pc deal above can you install Win 8 clean on any computer after purchase or does it have to be installed over the Win 7 License you registered to get the deal?
  • THFourteen 31 Jan 2013 09:08:28 32,863 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you can clean install from a burned DVD, at least I am sure I managed it.
  • Maturin 31 Jan 2013 09:13:02 2,890 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I think you can clean install from a burned DVD, at least I am sure I managed it.
    You can. I did a clean install from a USB stick when I built my new PC.
  • Armoured_Bear 31 Jan 2013 09:16:43 10,282 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I only use my PC for gaming and have been wondering whether to take the offer or not...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Buztafen 31 Jan 2013 09:17:21 16,066 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It appears i did ask this before in the Windows 8 thread and it looks like you can.
  • Buztafen 31 Jan 2013 09:23:30 16,066 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Also it's worth noting the offer doesn't end today.

"You must purchase a qualified Windows 7 PC between June 2, 2012 and January 31, 2013 to be eligible for this offer. The last day to register and order your Windows 8 upgrade is February 28, 2013."

Windows Upgrade Offer

Edited by Buztafen at 09:24:21 31-01-2013
  • Shikasama 31 Jan 2013 09:35:30 6,609 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hah, I'm glad one of us can read
  • Buztafen 31 Jan 2013 09:49:36 16,066 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heh, gives us another month to umm and arr about getting the upgrade or not. :)
  • Deleted user 31 January 2013 12:07:50
    @Armoured_Bear

The three main advantages that most people will benefit from are:

1. Increases the shelf life of their PC(and its security updates) by being a newer OS. This is especially true for any Win7, Vista, Xp 32bit editions, so long as their hardware manufacturers have at least provided Vista 64bit signed drivers.

2. Increases performance because many of the previous OS dependent APIs are now optional in Windows 8 (eg it is a lighter OS). It also has superior support for CPUs, motherboard chipsets giving a welcome performance boost.

3. It allows many (x86_64 hardware) customers to actually use more than 2.5GB of system RAM in their PCs, if upgrading from some shitty 32bit home premium edition to 64bit Professional edition.

I've got a windows 7 pro 64bit laptop, and want to upgrade it. But my only reason to stick with it in its existing setup, is so that I can provide my better half's father better support for his laptop if I can mirror the problems he might have.
  • TheSaint 31 Jan 2013 12:09:39 14,201 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seems worth it if it can be used for a clean install. Always hassle having to buy an OS when building a new machine.
  • Salaman 31 Jan 2013 12:56:04 18,870 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Buy it, install pokki, be happy.

Yes.
    This. It was annoying to work with until I got pokki installed on it.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous