Are there any decent Medieval war strategy/simulation games on PS3?

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • rickalish 30 Jan 2013 18:06:52 1,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm after something with infantry, archers and cavalry. That kind of thing. I had a look at Bladestorm reviews and realised it was just another Koei hack and slash job.
    Is there anything more slower paced and strategic that you could recommend for the console?
  • Dangerous_Dan 30 Jan 2013 18:23:11 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Are we talking real time or turn based? What level of strategy - 10 units, 100 units, whole armies under your command?
  • dominalien 30 Jan 2013 18:24:24 6,884 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Under Siege.

PSN: DonOsito

• Dangerous_Dan 30 Jan 2013 18:30:06 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wanted to bring that one up! ;)

But yeah, other then that get an old PC or laptop and play Medieval Total War 1 or 2.
  • Oh-Bollox 30 Jan 2013 23:15:46 5,258 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Great Battles Medieval is okay.
  • rickalish 7 Feb 2013 21:56:35 1,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Dangerous_Dan Whole armies would be good.
  • Dangerous_Dan 7 Feb 2013 22:25:49 2,378 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think Under Siege and Great Battles Medieval sums it up pretty well. Don't expect too much though.
  • Syrette 7 Feb 2013 22:27:23 43,529 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    rickalish wrote:
    I'm after something with infantry, archers and cavalry. That kind of thing. I had a look at Bladestorm reviews and realised it was just another Koei hack and slash job.
    Is there anything more slower paced and strategic that you could recommend for the console?
    Haven't you got a PC/Mac that's capable of running such titles?

The PS3 is hardly the go-to platform for that genre.

• DFawkes 7 Feb 2013 23:17:40 22,987 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    rickalish wrote:
    Yes. It's called Bladestorm :) Bladestorm really isn't a hack and slash. Sure, you have the option of manually getting your hands dirty, but it's not Dynasty Warriors - that'll get you and your army dead. It's a strategy game first and foremost.

You're more of a commander than a hero, moving around to help get units into the right positions. Making sure you've got your archers covered, making sure you aren't going to be flanks, that sort of thing. Ensuring you have good control of the battlefield is key.

There is a demo, so please do give it a go - the demo is most tutorials. Of course part of that tutorial is the bit where you take direct control and go in for a bit of manual face punching, but that's not recommended - I barely did it at all throughout my playtime, as it's usually a better use of your time controlling units instead.

That said, stick it on Easy and you can just about get away with hacking your way through, as long as you stay aware of what's going on with the units around you and grind a bit. So if you do try it, please don't play it on Easy!

Edited by DFawkes at 23:23:19 07-02-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Page

of 1

Previous Next