is the dj dead? Page 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Next
  • Rodney 3 Feb 2013 09:18:45 1,918 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was into DJing turntablism a few years ago but that scene seems to have died now.

I was really into the technical side of it (I was a total nerd about it) but even I eventually tired of listening to endless 'fressshhhh' scratches.

I'm in Australia now and my turntables (1200s and a very rare Vestax digital Samurai mixer) are at a mate's house in Cornwall.

It's still great fun when I go home to visit trying to mix some D&B (Im rubbish now) and scratch to some old battle records (I can still scratch). It's like being a teenager again.

I'll ship them over one day
  • gammonbanter 3 Feb 2013 11:13:00 1,517 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Technology is democratising!
  • WoodenSpoon 3 Feb 2013 13:55:19 12,296 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Beatmatching is a skill; whereas selecting tracks is piss easy if you own a pair of ears.

The DJ's definitely dead except in a few niche circles.
    Track selection isn't a piece of piss. We used to keep a list of interesting combinations up on the wall, though you still had to remember where the best mix was in the track.
    I honestly just think this is easy - if you like the music you'll listen to the tunes regularly, you'll know what sounds good out of what, and where to mix from. Beyond that it's fairly easy just to imagine what one song will sound like coming out of another.

It's the beatmatching that you actually have to learn.
  • Deleted user 3 February 2013 14:21:17
    Basically your average high street night club dj might just need to know the tunes as the pissed crowd wouldn't notice talent.

At major events and dedicated music clubs the dj needs to have technical ability too. The crowd have paid 10-30 to get in an expect quality.

Sure I could play an hour set in a major club and have great tune after tune but if any of my beats clang that wouldn't go down well. Let alone mixing multiple tracks in and not even dropping them before bringing in the next full track.

Andy c mixing is insane. Grandmaster flash I've seen twice and the tricks he pulls is madness, that is not just track selection. It is ability to tear the roof off. :)
  • MrE26 3 Feb 2013 14:27:03 1,971 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I care more about what's coming out of the speakers than how it gets there. Track selection & the ability to read a crowd & build a set properly are more important than the ability to beatmatch anyway. A shitty generic set that's mixed perfectly is still shitty & generic.

Of course, the ease with which you can beatmatch now has led to a lot of extremely weak DJs getting weekend jobs based on who they know, pumping out the latest Aviici track 7 times a night to a group of fist pumping 18 year olds, but there are still some great DJs out there.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Next