is the dj dead? Page 2

• Page

of 3 First / Last

• quadfather 30 Jan 2013 15:27:34 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @nickthegun - very true. I can relate to that a lot more as a musician, than as a ham fisted dj neophyte

I never got into the dj scene myself (no where near good enough), but I just love to tinker at home

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 15:29:38 55,866 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did and I was pretty good but I decided there was no future in it, so I got a proper job. My mate decided to soldier on and his facebook page is now foursquare update after foursquare update detailing which exotic airport he has just landed in.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kinky_mong 30 Jan 2013 15:32:37 9,607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Your mixing point in valid in certain genres, the djs you mentioned were good but not really my thing. Back when I was djing it was jungle and garage that were the thing and if you couldn't beat match with skill would not get far.
    For example average mixers, grooverider, Bryan gee, ray Keith where never quiet as highly regarded as say Andy c, zinc, Randall, Kenny Ken, hype etc.
    Just depends on the genre like we said.
    Grooverider who had a weekly show on Radio 1 making him one of the most identifiable faces in DnB/Jungle? I imagine they weren't too concerned about his beat-matching when they gave him the show. ;)

I cut my teeth on garage then moved on to breaks, where the big DJs normally reached the dizzy heights of Fabric Room 1 on Fridays by churning out countless records to get their name known.

I think with a lot of dance music the big names command such a high fee because they generally are playing songs very few other people have access to, most often their own unreleased stuff.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• kinky_mong 30 Jan 2013 15:35:30 9,607 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Your problem is that the audience doesnít give a shit. You stick a laptop DJ and a Vinyl DJ next to each other, the crowd wont care as long as the tunes come and the make it sound interesting.
    Agreed. You put it far more succinctly than I could!

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• Humperfunk 30 Jan 2013 15:43:16 1,606 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The moral of the story is, learn a real instrument. I reckon revan is a grade 8 on the pink oboe.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• richardiox 30 Jan 2013 15:43:31 5,420 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ISmoke wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Vinyl feels much better to, cueing it up, scratching and the rewind followed by some quick needle work. :) but yes, it is costly, too costly. I remember going into the record store and paying over ten for certain dubs like warhead or bambaata. That is silly money when you are young for a single.
    Both worth it though!I love bringing Bambaata in with all the animal noises, the amens and the general jungley sound and feel... Ah... the days when producers still made
    Warhead? Bambaata? 98 jungle for the win. Still love hearing those tracks get played out now. When Friction draws for "The Nine" it still sounds fresh.
  • ISmoke 30 Jan 2013 15:47:58 529 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm not sure what has happened but Friction's mixing over the last 2 years has gotten phenomenal. The Nine is still the benchmark of DnB/Jungle. Terrorist and Dark Soldier also deserve honourable mentions.

Serial Killaz are still making some good junlge-sounding music.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 16:03:42
    Oh dj marky! Haven't seen him for years. Remember seeing him in movement when he first was brought over. Amazing dj!!!
  • richardiox 30 Jan 2013 16:07:27 5,420 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Terrorist, Shadowboxing, One - the early Urban Takeover jump up stuff like Badass.

God I'm going to be digging out my Helter Skelter tape packs tonight. Kenny Ken with Mc Mc, Hype with Stevie Hyper etc....memories. Even the earlier stuff from 93-94 on Ram, Moving Shadow, Reinforced.

There is actually a proper jungle / drums thread on here somewhere. If anyone wants to trade sets I have about 50gigs worth.
  • Lukus 30 Jan 2013 16:17:40 18,955 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago

Paintings & Photographs

• thelzdking 30 Jan 2013 16:41:43 3,962 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ten years ago it seemed that half of the people you met were DJs.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 17:51:36 36,282 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I work with 2 DJs. They're both about as successful as you'd expect.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Mr_Sleep 30 Jan 2013 18:10:07 16,257 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    I work with 2 DJs. They're both about as successful as you'd expect.
    I used to work with one who left the job and is now pulling down a viable wage every month with a big bump in the summer in the festivals. I suspect a lot of it these days is knowing how to sell yourself via social media and getting in with the right promoters. Still, he's proof it's still possible.

You are a factory of sadness.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 18:11:26 36,282 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or that the exception proves the rule. I never really "got" that saying.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• Deleted user 30 January 2013 18:16:33
    http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/exception-that-proves-the-rule.html
  • elstoof 30 Jan 2013 18:35:54 6,140 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DJ Scooter is my kind of thing.
  • FuzzyDuck 1 Feb 2013 10:49:56 3,546 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Deckard1

Have yo' ass discovered Gizoogle with all dat shiznitz you be typin'?
  • boo 1 Feb 2013 11:02:13 11,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DJs.

People who expect some sort of credit for playing music that other people have created.

I don't understand why they're revered at all.

I can go into a supermarket and buy a cake, but it doesn't make me Mr Kipling!

Just Another Lego Blog

• Widge Moderator 1 Feb 2013 11:08:35 12,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I wrote a big waffle on the rise of the Sync button ages:

http://specialhousinassociation.com/the-devil-is-in-the-digital

in essence: it is not just about being a human metronome, that is just one aspect. So your beats are matched (unless the algorithm goes mental on you), it is still about what you play. When I see someone, I want to hear their own unique musical stamp... that is where the years are spent and not in an exercise in counting to four.

Lots of people are using technology to mix things up a bit. Saytek and Nadja Lind play live sets made out of their own material, all sequenced live at the gig - unique. Lots of people are getting happy with loops and live remixing. Then there are the crop of acts who are putting bands together for live shows.

For every one of these, there are a thousand DJ's who just ravage Beatport or the tracklisting of their idolised DJ... beatmatching or not, those are the ones that are bobbins.

Besides, even without the sync button, digital DJing has made the manipulation of music much easier by hand... no vinyl drift and great jogwheel control. It is easier to be a metronome than ever before.

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• Widge Moderator 1 Feb 2013 11:14:24 12,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    boo wrote:
    True, but then I'd query your choice of cake... why did you go any buy that cake, what about you knowledge of baking history, what are you bringing to the table that is unique and interesting that makes me want this cake over what someone else has bought.

The sheer volume of music makes trainspotting an actual talent in itself. Being well versed in the history of house music means you can spot the absolute ASS out of the current retro revival and pick out the true gems. Plus a hell of a lot of DJs are producing themselves, and you are hearing them drop things they have created.

I'd rather go to a clubnight than be part of a crowd that stand facing forwards at bunch of people on stage, waiting for them to play things I already know. ALTHOUGH, this phenomenon is infiltrating the clubworld too:

http://www.inthemix.com.au/features/54529/A_techno_nerd_reviews_DJ_Pauly_D

It needs to go. Face away from the stage.

_ _ _

• quadfather 1 Feb 2013 11:25:15 10,547 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Widge - Jesus, that link is hideous. It's probably worth a kickstarter just to make sure Pauly gets to read it

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Widge Moderator 1 Feb 2013 12:00:19 12,598 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have Traktor after a grounding on Technics for years. I won an S4 and it is a rather nifty bit of kit. Also means I don't have to have shit loads of space for decks and vinyl!

_ _ _

• localnotail 1 Feb 2013 23:10:52 23,093 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    boo wrote:
    DJs.

People who expect some sort of credit for playing music that other people have created.

I don't understand why they're revered at all.

Do you ever go to a restaurant? Why bother when you could just cook at home? After all, you can buy all the same ingredients that a chef has access to ;)

It's all in the mix.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• onestepfromlost 2 Feb 2013 11:43:32 1,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Your problem is that the audience doesnít give a shit. You stick a laptop DJ and a Vinyl DJ next to each other, the crowd wont care as long as the tunes come and the make it sound interesting. Its like that idiot the other day complaining that a book isnít a book unless its printed on paper. The beat matching isnít the talent, the talent is selecting tunes in a fresh and interesting way. Like, for example, I read an interview with Sister Bliss (a trained pianist) many moons ago that said something like she plays sets in certain keys to suit the acoustics of the venues and that it was a shame more DJs werenít musicians because there was more to it than matching beats, you had to match the music too.

So, yeah, in summary, it doesnít matter unless its turntablism. I remember watching DJ Marky play a turntable like a guitar but 99% of D+B DJs could easily stick a mix tape on and have a cup of coffee.

/serious answer
    BS.

you think carl cox could rock the place if he was huddled over a laptop?! hell naw!!

crowd interaction. it's a thing.

also, many dj's play in key when building a set.
    News for you Carl cox played the arches recently.my mate was also djing says Carl cox turned up with 4 premixed cds the rest was showmanship
  • WoodenSpoon 2 Feb 2013 20:09:59 12,252 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Beatmatching is a skill; whereas selecting tracks is piss easy if you own a pair of ears.

The DJ's definitely dead except in a few niche circles.
  • DodgyPast 3 Feb 2013 02:19:03 8,335 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    WoodenSpoon wrote:
    Beatmatching is a skill; whereas selecting tracks is piss easy if you own a pair of ears.

The DJ's definitely dead except in a few niche circles.
    Track selection isn't a piece of piss. We used to keep a list of interesting combinations up on the wall, though you still had to remember where the best mix was in the track. I do remember the days of browsing Section 5 very fondly, especially when they'd pass you a promo of something you'd been impatiently waiting for having heard it at the leisure lounge and on Grooverider and Fabio's radio show.

Also 2 copies of the Helicopter tune FTW.

Edited by DodgyPast at 02:19:53 03-02-2013
  • Khanivor 3 Feb 2013 03:31:26 39,891 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Who the hell is saying Carl Cox can't beat match??!?!

Bud-dup-a-dub-a-dup-bud
  • Page

of 3 First / Last