is the dj dead?

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 14:46:05
    In regards to how it used to be in clubs?

I ask because I used to dj a bit through school, college and university and it was a skill to learn and master. The expensive big name djs mostly were master's of the decks and justified their price.

I went to my bro house yesterday and he got himself some mp3 decks, just like cd decks but just uses computer files.

It was terrible as with in five minutes I was mixing like a pro, not because my skills has immediately come back after many years but because the decks did most of the job for me. Whilst still fun it felt almost no point as the skill and techniques were not needed. It told me what Bpm everything was, it could auto correct.

Now I've noticed over last few years the professional DJs now use this too. Not really a talent worth high pound now eh? No wonder on line ups now I mostly see producers who I thought years ago were shit DJs, they no longer need to worry that they can't mix or scratch etc. I heard a track from TC the other day with a stupid voice over saying he won't play if you don't give him the cd decks stated in the contract. Pft.

Did make me want to go buy vinyl decks though, anyone on here still mix? Was a great but bloody expensive hobby. I guess a good thing for kids getting into it now it is crazy cheap after the initial output.
  • Zizoo 30 Jan 2013 14:49:28 8,107 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Last night a DJ saved my life.
  • Deckard1 30 Jan 2013 14:50:24 27,123 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:

In regardz ta how tha fuck it used ta be up in clubs?

I ask cuz I used ta dj a funky-ass bit all up in school, college n' universitizzle n' it was a skill ta learn n' master. Da expensive big-ass name djs mostly was masterz of tha decks n' justified they price.

I went ta mah bro doggy den yesterdizzle n' he gots his dirty ass some mp3 decks, just like cd decks but just uses computer files.

It was terrible as wit up in five minutes I was mixin like a pro, not cuz mah game has immediately come back afta nuff muthafuckin years but cuz tha decks did most of tha thang fo' mah dirty ass. Whilst still funk it felt almost no point as tha skill n' steez was not needed. Y'all KNOW dat shit, muthafucka! It busted some lyrics ta mah crazy ass what tha fuck Bpm every last muthafuckin last muthafuckin thang was, it could auto erect.

Now I've noticed over last few muthafuckin years tha professionizzle DJs now bust dis too. Not straight-up a talent worth high pound now eh biatch? No wonder on line ups now I mostly peep ballaz whoz ass I thought muthafuckin years ago was shizzle DJs, they no longer need ta worry dat they can't mix and scratch etc. I heard a track from TC tha other dizzle wit a wack voice over sayin he won't play if you don't give his ass tha cd decks stated up in tha contract. Pft.

Did make mah crazy ass wanna go cop vinyl decks though, every last muthafuckin muthafucka on here still mix biatch? Was a pimped out but bloody expensive hobby. I guess a phat muthafuckin thang fo' lil playas gettin tha fuck into it now it is crazy skanky afta tha initial output.
    I think Jimmy Saville ruined it for everyone.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 14:50:52
    It used to be you could be a dj as a job, think back to great DJs from way back when. They didn't have to make music, they just needed to be amazing at being a dj and make the club go wild.

Now seems you must make good music and matters much less on how they can command the club.

Shame.
  • Popzeus 30 Jan 2013 14:51:34 8,272 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Morrissey hung him years ago, didn't you get the memo?

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• neilka 30 Jan 2013 14:52:33 15,641 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DJ off of Roseanne was eaten by John Goodman withing seconds of the last episode being completed, as stipulated in his contract.
  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 14:55:11 58,782 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Someones getting old

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• quadfather 30 Jan 2013 14:55:24 11,815 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Did make me want to go buy vinyl decks though, anyone on here still mix? Was a great but bloody expensive hobby. I guess a good thing for kids getting into it now it is crazy cheap after the initial output.
    Still got 2 x 1210's and a numark mixer + monitor speakers setup. I don't mix that much - but if I've got mates around and it's the right atmosphere, I'll certainly do a fair bit of cueing.

After selling a lot of vinyl and a deck years ago and feeling gutted that I got rid of it, I'm definitely not getting rid of it all this time round.

So I guess the option to mix is there, but I tend to treat it casually.

It's nice when I'm out in Manchester, in the northern quarter - you often see dj's mixing songs while the band is getting ready, and they always do a set afterwards as well

But yeah, it's expensive :) Last dj shadow album (the less you know the better) was £25!

On the flip side though, there's loads of bargains too if you hunt around

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• UncleLou Moderator 30 Jan 2013 14:55:25 35,423 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Where?
  • ISmoke 30 Jan 2013 14:57:23 533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I mix! I actually know the TC Song your on about. It's actually one of my reasons I hate seeing TC live because he just sits there playing with CDJ's (it's partly because i'm not a fan of the jump-up-esque DnB he is playing - nice he is from Bristol though)

I do agree, I know a few people younger than me now starting to DJ and when I ask what are they using i get the response of Virtual DJ with a Midi controller. I get so annoyed as they haven't had to learn the basics of beat matching because they have a big red button that says "Sync" on what takes all the fun (and frustration)out of learning.

On the other hand there is some good software out there now. I've been using Serato Scratch Live for the last year and a bit now on my SL1210 MK2's So i am falling dangerously close into 'Laptop DJ' territory but the way i see it, i'm still using vinyl as my mixing medium and Serato SL doesn't beat match for you (though you can see when the breakdowns and drops are coming in the tune but it's no different than reading a vinyl) so you still have to have the ear for listening to 2 or more songs as once.

Also who can argue with buying a WAV EP of 4/6 tunes for £7 when a vinyl costs atleast £5 for latest releases. I do buy some special tunes on vinyl but i haven't for a while. Original Sin: Mad Word EP was the last physical release i bought.
  • ecureuil 30 Jan 2013 14:59:17 76,488 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Where?
    The Kiss club?
  • quadfather 30 Jan 2013 15:00:10 11,815 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Actually, that's made me think - I use ableton live too on the pc. But that's for trying to make actual music from instrumental samples from scratch. The decks are used for relaxation, and/or a little bit of live mixing, depending on the situation

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Mike1980 30 Jan 2013 15:01:17 296 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The next gen of DJs use Ableton Live for live shows.
  • heyyo 30 Jan 2013 15:01:19 14,374 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My cousin was mixing D&B for 10+ years starting when he was 13/14, he bought a top spec PC in 2009 for "music production" complete waste of money - he stuck to the decks.
  • ISmoke 30 Jan 2013 15:02:31 533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Me and production have never gotten along. I've got Reason set up on my laptop what i connect to my KRK's from time to time but i just don't have that creative edge to make a tune.

I got quite close when I was using Logic but it was still nothing impressive. Only chance i'd have at making a song would be if I had an Akai MPC as i think i'd find it a bit easier that way.
  • neilka 30 Jan 2013 15:03:25 15,641 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Birdie Song->Hey Baby->Who Let The Dogs Out, nobody can ever stay off the dancefloor.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 15:06:43
    Vinyl feels much better to, cueing it up, scratching and the rewind followed by some quick needle work. :) but yes, it is costly, too costly. I remember going into the record store and paying over ten for certain dubs like warhead or bambaata. That is silly money when you are young for a single.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 15:10:47 37,316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    Birdie Song->Hey Baby->Who Let The Dogs Out, nobody can ever stay off the dancefloor.
    You actually managed to send an unpleasant chill down my spine with that. Well done.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• ISmoke 30 Jan 2013 15:11:03 533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Vinyl feels much better to, cueing it up, scratching and the rewind followed by some quick needle work. :) but yes, it is costly, too costly. I remember going into the record store and paying over ten for certain dubs like warhead or bambaata. That is silly money when you are young for a single.
    Both worth it though!I love bringing Bambaata in with all the animal noises, the amens and the general jungley sound and feel... Ah... the days when producers still made
  • Deckard1 30 Jan 2013 15:13:14 27,123 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Vinyl feels much mo' betta to, cuein it up, scratchin n' tha rewind followed by some quick needle work. but yes, it is costly, too costly. I remember goin tha fuck into tha record store n' payin over ten fo' certain dubs like warhead and bambaata. That is wack-ass scrilla when yo ass is lil' fo' a single.
    I like it when you turn the speed up and their voices go funny!
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 15:14:23
    @ISmoke you a bristol boy then?
    You like krust. Die, roni size etc then? They were on fire around the time of planet v.
  • Roddles 30 Jan 2013 15:14:43 1,735 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Crossfading is hard yo.
  • kinky_mong 30 Jan 2013 15:17:16 9,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I used to be a keen DJ, still do a gig once or twice a year, but my enthusiasm for it died about 4 years ago. So to break down your questions...

Pepsipop wrote:

It was terrible as with in five minutes I was mixing like a pro, not because my skills has immediately come back after many years but because the decks did most of the job for me. Whilst still fun it felt almost no point as the skill and techniques were not needed. It told me what Bpm everything was, it could auto correct.

Beat matching is only a small part of being a DJ, and in my opinion the most mechanical and inconsequential part of it. It only lends itself to certain styles of music anyway and it's still possible to do a smooth segue between records that aren't the same tempo.

Much more important for a DJ is knowing what songs blend together well, judging from a crowd what songs to play, building your allotted set time to contain peaks and downtime, and for turntablists learning other skills like scratching. All of these are arguably things that can't be done by a computer so why not let technology take the tedious part of DJing that the majority of punters don't care about away?

Pepsipop wrote:

Now I've noticed over last few years the professional DJs now use this too. Not really a talent worth high pound now eh? No wonder on line ups now I mostly see producers who I thought years ago were shit DJs, they no longer need to worry that they can't mix or scratch etc. I heard a track from TC the other day with a stupid voice over saying he won't play if you don't give him the cd decks stated in the contract. Pft.

As above the talent isn't just beat matching and never really was. Before the technology became available big names like Sasha, John Digweed, Carl Cox etc, were no better at beat matching than Johnny No-Name who played at his local pub every Saturday after DJing for 10+ years, but the reason they commanded a high fee was because the sets they put together were judged as worth more due to the quality of their music and in some cases their production history.

The whole Diva DJ demands are nothing new, and even pissants like me get stroppy when we arrive at a gig to find the venue has a mixer with no monitor, a mixer that looks like it was made in communist Eastern Europe and decks that should have been replaced 5 years ago.

Pepsipop wrote:

This cost was one of the factors that put me off DJing as a vinyl only luddite. Paying £6+ per song for stuff that mostly disposable took it's toll on me while I was at uni. If I had started a few years later when CDJs were becoming more popular I would probably still be doing it.

Even if you are a vinyl purist when it comes to DJing programmes like Serato are a great middle ground as you can play music from a laptop via decks and still beat match to your heart's content if you wish. It would certainly be a more attractive prospect for me to take my entire music collection to a gig, rather than hurting my back lugging a record bag with a maximum of 60 records to a gig. Alas I find the task of ripping the hundreds of records I own to a laptop too tedious a task to consider it.

I'll never get my Orc looking the same again.

• kinky_mong 30 Jan 2013 15:20:46 9,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also tricks to cut out beatmatching aren't that new, I know certain big name DJ's *cough* Andy C *cough* used to burn tracks to CDs all at the same BPM to speed up the process of cueing songs.

• Deckard1 30 Jan 2013 15:21:55 27,123 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Andy Crane?!
  • kinky_mong 30 Jan 2013 15:23:12 9,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Edited by kinky_mong at 15:23:27 30-01-2013

• kinky_mong 30 Jan 2013 15:23:13 9,952 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If only!

DJ Andy Crane Yo' Neck feat. The Madth Lithping MC Violeth Berthlin.

• ISmoke 30 Jan 2013 15:23:33 533 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Pepsipop

Yeah, I'm from Bristol.

I've got a lot of time for most Bristol acts, especially the label Full Cycle. I'd put them up there with Ram and MetalHeadz any day.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 15:24:11
    Your mixing point in valid in certain genres, the djs you mentioned were good but not really my thing. Back when I was djing it was jungle and garage that were the thing and if you couldn't beat match with skill would not get far.
    For example average mixers, grooverider, Bryan gee, ray Keith where never quiet as highly regarded as say Andy c, zinc, Randall, Kenny Ken, hype etc.
    Just depends on the genre like we said.
  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 15:24:25 58,782 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Your problem is that the audience doesnít give a shit. You stick a laptop DJ and a Vinyl DJ next to each other, the crowd wont care as long as the tunes come and the make it sound interesting. Its like that idiot the other day complaining that a book isnít a book unless its printed on paper. The beat matching isnít the talent, the talent is selecting tunes in a fresh and interesting way. Like, for example, I read an interview with Sister Bliss (a trained pianist) many moons ago that said something like she plays sets in certain keys to suit the acoustics of the venues and that it was a shame more DJs werenít musicians because there was more to it than matching beats, you had to match the music too.

So, yeah, in summary, it doesnít matter unless its turntablism. I remember watching DJ Marky play a turntable like a guitar but 99% of D+B DJs could easily stick a mix tape on and have a cup of coffee.

/serious answer

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous