How long before Apple die? Page 3

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

  • Syrette 29 Jan 2013 23:44:03 43,430 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is Android another type of I-Phone?

  • cubbymoore 29 Jan 2013 23:48:23 36,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    meme wrote:
    cubby works in a phone shop everyone
    i work in the kind of phone shop where theres books everywhere, and no phones
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 23:50:25
    No wonder you don't sell many Androids.
  • beastmaster 30 Jan 2013 00:18:27 11,408 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I seriously doubt that the next OS Apple bring out will be radically different but it's here where they need to focus. I really don't mind it on the iPad as I think it's clunky nature is better suited to that.

    I'm moving back to iPhone in the next couple of weeks. Cannot get on with Android at all and think that the S2 is just a poor quality handset. I could wait for the next iPhone but got no idea when it's coming out so not going to bother.

    Apple will never allow anything to be done outside of iTunes. They may change a few icons here and there and maybe throw in a bit of animation. NFC and wireless charging will just add to the bulk of a new phone so they won't do that.

    It may seem as though they have stagnated (and I think they have) but whenever I go past that Apple shop in the Trafford Centre it's always fucking hammered. And there are lots of people coming out with newly purchased items.

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • Syrette 30 Jan 2013 00:22:30 43,430 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Cannot get on with Android at all
    Why? What are you struggling with?

  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 00:23:34 33,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheapo iphone for po people released in the summer.

    Problem solved.
  • mal 30 Jan 2013 00:35:24 22,522 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Oh and they sue for everything, oh so you can't have an unlock on your phone that slides?? Next console battle if apple had one could be getting the PlayStation 4 blocked as it has a similar turn on button. Oh no.
    Meh, they're all as bad as each other. It's just that all the grown-ups are suing each other for some minutiae of how the GSM stack works or somesuch, while Apple can't do that since it didn't invent any of that stuff. If you want to be competitive in that market you have to build a patent portfolio somehow, and not be afraid to use it.

    Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

  • gareth886 30 Jan 2013 01:40:01 2,841 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think Apple will ever die, however I do see their lead in the Mobile Phone industry leveling out a lot.

    There's no doubt that they revolutionized the mobile phone industry, but other Manufacturers have caught up and surpassed them in many ways. For me, using an iPhone after using a Galaxy S3 makes the iPhone feel stagnant. The innovation that Apple introduced 5 year ago hasn't progressed much since then.

    In terms of usability and overall build quality, Apple is still streets ahead.
  • Dirtbox 30 Jan 2013 04:34:57 78,133 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They've come close before, their lack of maneuverability and foresight meant they had to get bailed out by Bill Gates at the 11th hour. Don't count on that ever happening again.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • Tonka 30 Jan 2013 06:38:26 20,393 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    gareth886 wrote:

    In terms of usability and overall build quality, Apple is still streets ahead.
    I agree with build quality but usability? As a "above average strength" user I find that Android beats iOS into a bloody pulp usability wise.

    But even mom and pop users must be able to what they do on their iPhones with ease. As you say, Apple laid down the foundation for how a smartphone should work and all that is there on Android.

    The main advantage IOS have is AirPlay and that is about to get some serious competition at last. I expect it to be overtaken in three years.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 07:48:19
    Post deleted
  • Popzeus 30 Jan 2013 08:00:05 8,330 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Part of my job at the moment involves training people to use an Android phone (HTC One) for work, and in my experience the average non-techy finds them unworkably complicated and buggy, especially when they're used to using an iPhone.

    Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 08:10:22 33,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    gareth886 wrote:

    In terms of usability and overall build quality, Apple is still streets ahead.
    I agree with build quality but usability? As a "above average strength" user I find that Android beats iOS into a bloody pulp usability wise.

    But even mom and pop users must be able to what they do on their iPhones with ease. As you say, Apple laid down the foundation for how a smartphone should work and all that is there on Android.

    The main advantage IOS have is AirPlay and that is about to get some serious competition at last. I expect it to be overtaken in three years.
    Must say I disagree completely here. I have an android phone and its great but only because I am savvy enough to know what I'm doing with it. It's occasionally fiddly, often frustrating but ultimately acceptable experience.

    My ipad however just works fine out of the box. It's easy to set up and use from the go. I know this because my mum has an iphone and not once has she had to ask me for help with it. She can barely operate the sky box.
  • neilka 30 Jan 2013 08:35:02 15,907 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    Cannot get on with Android at all
    Why? What are you struggling with?
    He gets confused by interfaces that don't look like a budget hifi from the 80s.

    A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

  • kalel 30 Jan 2013 09:03:49 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a horrible truism, but there's no way of knowing.

    For starters I think their period in the sunshine has probably more or less come to an end. Ipods and iphones are already feeling like a bit of a "noughties" thing. They're not going to "die" though, not yet at least.

    Longer term though, nobody is safe. Giants of industry can topple extremely quickly if they fail to read the writing on the wall as we've seen a lot of recently, and Apple are in absolutely no way invincible. Literally no brand is - even the likes of Coke and Nike who appear to be evergreens put incredible amounts of work into keeping their position.

    Be interesting to see how this new Apple smart television thing is going to go down.
  • LeoliansBro 30 Jan 2013 09:07:59 44,118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What was the last thing Apple did that wasn't a revision of an earlier product?

    If we're going with Siri then they're thinking way too small. They need to steal much, much bigger ideas than that.

    LB, you really are a massive geek.

  • Tonka 30 Jan 2013 09:08:08 20,393 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Part of my job at the moment involves training people to use an Android phone (HTC One) for work, and in my experience the average non-techy finds them unworkably complicated and buggy, especially when they're used to using an iPhone.
    What is it that they find complicated? I'm beginning to think I'm "snow blind" when it comes to this because I find the various workarounds that third parties need to implement on iOS to be more of an annoyance than what Android offers right out of the box.

    Real life examples.
    Adding an article to Pocket on iOS vs Andoid
    Turning flightmode on or off (or any setting really)
    Quick glance the calendar (without having to unlock the phone)

    In all of these I'd say Android is the one that just works whilst iOS lies like a wet blanket between me and what I want to do.

    If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

  • jablonski 30 Jan 2013 09:16:24 4,094 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    They turned their back on the pro market to chase the lifestyle money.

    The pro market and the elitism of it, is what made it such a desirable brand.
    Now every fucker has one, the cool-kids are going elsewhere.

    I've been waiting for a decent Mac Pro revision (yes, the tower machine, not the Fisher Price VHS/DVD combo imacs) for 4 years. If it doesn't appear soon I'm going to switch to a PC or Hackintosh, as I desperately need it for work.
  • tincanrocket 30 Jan 2013 09:17:56 2,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aren't Microsoft likely to go the way of the dodo before Apple?
  • THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 09:18:57 33,391 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah. Millions of office computers rely on windows and office.

    Not to mention most home pcs still ship with windows

    Sales may drop over time but they will be fine.
  • kalel 30 Jan 2013 09:19:07 87,564 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why?
  • tincanrocket 30 Jan 2013 09:25:24 2,987 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Why?
    If you were asking me, it's just because where I work we are seeing quite a heavy shift from Wintel to OS X and Linux. Granted, the major corporate systems still rely on Windows and Oracle, but users and smaller server setups seem to be shifting. Old hands won't be changing platform any time soon, but the younger demographic certainly seem to be.

    Edit: not sure if chromebooks are making any headway, as I have yet to have anyone turn up with one of those, but it's been macbooks and imacs galore this academic year

    Edited by tincanrocket at 09:27:12 30-01-2013
  • senso-ji 30 Jan 2013 09:32:48 5,896 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think Apple will need to constantly innovate with new products to stay on top; they can't keep releasing updated versions of iPhones and iPads as Moore's law will eventually catch up with them.

    They also need to expand their business in other territories; Samsung, for example, produce different handsets for different regions around the world each year. IMO Apple will need to follow this example at some point in the future.
  • TarickStonefire 30 Jan 2013 09:33:20 3,091 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:

    I wouldn't hate apple half as much if it wasn't for the scientology esque ramblings of a vocal minority of their customers. Die apple hipsters. Die.
    That appears to be the reason for a sizeable chunk of the hate. It's kind of pathetic as a reason to 'hate' a company.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 09:35:10 59,854 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Cheapo iphone for po people released in the summer.

    Problem solved.
    This is really the only thing they can do and since they have made the phone bigger a feasible option.

    The form and OS are so well liked, its hard to imagine them being able to radically change it. Not that they need to, which is also a problem.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • TarickStonefire 30 Jan 2013 09:36:03 3,091 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:

    It's not an assumption, it's a question. Where is the innovation now? Everyone else copied the iOS icon layout and functionality, everyone copied the core ideas of both the iPhone and iPad. What evidence is that Apple are able to lead any innovation or have we already reached the point of boring iterations of tech?

    This position you're taking sort of seems to require that everyone get on board with the assumption that Apple until recently was innovating every goddamn year, or even every other year, and that's a strawman argument through and through.

    Just because they haven't in the last 18 months or so reinvented a genre of device that everyone else then clones for the next 5 years, they've stopped innovating?

    Whatever, you are SO just looking for an Apple fight.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 09:36:37 59,854 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Steve_Perry wrote:

    I wouldn't hate apple half as much if it wasn't for the scientology esque ramblings of a vocal minority of their customers. Die apple hipsters. Die.
    That appears to be the reason for a sizeable chunk of the hate. It's kind of pathetic as a reason to 'hate' a company.
    Its also massive bullshit. Apples audience is now so broad all the old, lazy stereotypes dont really apply to it. The only reason people complain like this about apple is because they cant afford their products.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • TarickStonefire 30 Jan 2013 09:38:17 3,091 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    What do you mean since when? The company was valued at 80bn and is now 8bn and sales have collapsed. That, in the business world, is the same ballpark.
    Sure you don't mean that growth has slowed? Sales collapsing is so far from anything I've seen them report in the last couple of quarters that I maintain you are just looking for an Apple fight.

    If you weren't, you wouldn't be using such emotive and misleading and innacurate buzzy phrases like "their sales collapsed". Jesus, it's like you believe that if you wish hard enough and long enough and get enough people to join in, you can will them to an early grave.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 30 Jan 2013 09:40:35 3,091 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    I don't want them to die but I would like to see them lose their position by some way. Ridiculously overpriced and controlling.
    Oh and they sue for everything, oh so you can't have an unlock on your phone that slides?? Next console battle if apple had one could be getting the PlayStation 4 blocked as it has a similar turn on button. Oh no.
    If you could just point out on the chart which major tech company isn't suing another major tech company for something that most normal people think is utterly ridiculous, please?

    People hold Apple to completely different standards to every other tech company, for reasons that rarely seem amount to anything other than "well they're so smug they brought it on themselves, oh and I hate their customers".

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • TarickStonefire 30 Jan 2013 09:43:47 3,091 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Apples audience is now so broad all the old, lazy stereotypes dont really apply to it. The only reason people complain like this about apple is because they cant afford their products.
    I think that's part of the reason, but it can't account for all of it. I think some people just like to Hate on big companies, because it's an easy way to direct rage and aggression online without actually 'hurting' anyone. Also, it's a habit, and a bit of a cliché. And also it's egged on by the media, who are well savvy that anything with Apple in the headline will guarantee clicks, and if they play their cards right, provoke a shitstorm of comments and, of course, yet more page clicks...

    There are quite a few things Apple do that really do warrant a good old moan, but the validity of such moans gets lost amongst the internet raaaage, and people going on about how they're doomed because their sales "collapsed".

    Edited by TarickStonefire at 09:44:51 30-01-2013

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

Log in or register to reply