How long before Apple die? Page 5

• Page

of 7 First / Last

• Deleted user 30 January 2013 14:42:44
    I'm an android fag now and I miss having a half decent email app as standard. I have two rather shit email apps to manage my mail (Gmail and stock for exchange). I imagine it is shit like that.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 15:26:01
    kalel wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    I agree about Nike, because shoes are fashion and fashion changes. But I had a think about Coke, and I'd say all they really do, and need to do, is keep producing new adverts. Now that's a big business, but that's why Coke is run by advertising people and not product people.
    There's so much more to it than this, and and Coke is in no way run by advertising people. They have an extremely aggressive acquisition policy as well as their own R&D, and constantly release new brands and products to keep the company at the top - energy and sports drinks, health drinks, water etc etc.

Slightly off-topic, but they're getting into a fair bit of shit at the moment over the marketing of their "vitamin water", which was basically marketed as a health product with statements like "WILL IMPROVE YOUR OVERALL HEALTH" and "REDUCE DISEASE". Only now people are suing them because it turns out it's all bullshit and there's fuck all vitamins in it along with a fucktonne of sugar, and Coke's defense is basically "you're a retard if you thought this was healthy".
  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 15:27:08 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    I'm an android fag now and I miss having a half decent email app as standard. I have two rather shit email apps to manage my mail (Gmail and stock for exchange). I imagine it is shit like that.
    Ive got an S3 and if someone came in now and offered me a 4S for it, I would bite their hands off.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Popzeus 30 Jan 2013 15:36:35 8,250 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Popzeus What is it that people find difficult with Android phones? What version are you running?
    Too many apps installed as default that don't have obvious functions or seem to duplicate each other (e.g. "Locations" vs "Maps" vs "Navigation" vs "Car") complicated unlock screen, complicated navigation with too much going on on the home screen, too many buttons on phone itself (e.g. people hitting multitasking button by accident and not knowing how to cancel it), confusing icons (e.g. "all apps" icon that looks like it should bring up a phone keypad), keys too narrow on the touchscreen (I agree with this one, actually) - the list goes on.

Not my own complaints, but this is the kind of first-impressions feedback I get all the time.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• mrpon 30 Jan 2013 15:39:59 27,641 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I still don't get where my apps are installed on my Android phone and I (supposedly) know my onions!

Give yourself 5 or gig, you're worth it.

• nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 15:42:05 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Where ever they want seems to be the answer.

He totally called it

• THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 15:45:06 31,792 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Speaking as a sys admin, its too little too late on that front when you can just use active synch and iPhone management studio rather going through the time, hassle and vast expense of deploying a blackberry solution.
    Good point here, my company support a bring your own device policy but only for iOS. They tried android but found no way of making it secure enough and supporting all the different devices so gave up.

Blackberries still provided as standard to those who need them though.
  • Deleted user 30 January 2013 15:45:09
    nickthegun wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Ive got an S3 and if someone came in now and offered me a 4S for it, I would bite their hands off.
    I swapped my 4S for a Galaxy Note because I was bored of iOS...

Realising the pointless novelty of widgets after about 3 days (if I have my phone out I'm using an app - not staring at the desktop/start screen). Dropping it on a carpet and having a bit of plastic around the screen chip off. Having something go wrong - albeit minor - at least once a day. Every fucking day. Makes me kinda miss that bloody boring OS and predictable hardware design. But as my phone has zero resale value I'm stuck for the foreseeable.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 15:51:09 36,270 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mrpon wrote:
    I still don't get where my apps are installed on my Android phone and I (supposedly) know my onions!
    On my Nexus 7 it's \data\storage\sdcard0\Android\data but on this phone it's just \sdcard\Android\data. Mmm random.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 15:54:38 36,270 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Speaking as a sys admin, its too little too late on that front when you can just use active synch and iPhone management studio rather going through the time, hassle and vast expense of deploying a blackberry solution.
    Good point here, my company support a bring your own device policy but only for iOS. They tried android but found no way of making it secure enough and supporting all the different devices so gave up.

Blackberries still provided as standard to those who need them though.
    Well like I wrote earlier, that's what RIM is going for with their next BES release - secure Android email support.

It probably won't be all that popular.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 16:13:29 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If there isnt already an app to do it, one that briefly dialed VPN to site on sending an email would circumnavigate the need for it entirely for a couple of quid per handset.

Hmm.... does anyone know how to write android apps?

He totally called it

• THFourteen 30 Jan 2013 16:23:09 31,792 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The security issue is still a big deal though, with iOS they can tell if your phone is jail broken and the authentication stops working.

With android it was apparently too difficult and complex to account for every single scenario that a user might have on their phone, be it rooted or unrooted, there are too many unruly apps and malware that could make it onto the work network.
  • nickthegun 30 Jan 2013 16:28:06 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    iPhones are so easy to manage, its unreal, same with iPads. I remember looking after an on premises exchange server that didnt have an SSL cert. A windows phone said 'Whoa! no cert' and wouldnt connect. An iPhone flagged it as an issue but allowed you to bypass it. An apple phone was easier to connect to an exchange account that a windows one.

This, tangentially, is the business market apple are going for now, not xServes and Mac Pros.

He totally called it

• Dirtbox 30 Jan 2013 17:30:35 76,319 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not as easy as everything else on the market though. And their ease of use schtick has long since slipped by the way.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Fake_Blood 30 Jan 2013 18:32:32 3,817 posts
    Seen 55 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Apple surprised me when I crashed my mbpr while installing win7. I fucked up the partitions. Boots up, can't find osx, asks for wep key, an hour later mountain lion was ready to go.
    Using closed systems they can really streamline the user experience.
  • Tonka 30 Jan 2013 18:44:01 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Popzeus cheers. It's funny how blind I am to things like that. All your points made sense now that you mention it but I personally haven't had any problems with them

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Darth_Flibble 30 Jan 2013 18:50:52 1,504 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    @Popzeus What is it that people find difficult with Android phones? What version are you running?
    Too many apps installed as default that don't have obvious functions or seem to duplicate each other (e.g. "Locations" vs "Maps" vs "Navigation" vs "Car") complicated unlock screen, complicated navigation with too much going on on the home screen, too many buttons on phone itself (e.g. people hitting multitasking button by accident and not knowing how to cancel it), confusing icons (e.g. "all apps" icon that looks like it should bring up a phone keypad), keys too narrow on the touchscreen (I agree with this one, actually) - the list goes on.

Not my own complaints, but this is the kind of first-impressions feedback I get all the time.
    they sound pretty thick from the complaints
  • DodgyPast 30 Jan 2013 18:54:09 8,333 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With Apple you just accept something won't work and move on. With Android there's probably a work around if you look hard enough.

Horses for courses.

I regularly recommend Apple stuff to people, especially if I think they'll be hassling me for support despite the fact I've never been tempted to buy anything for myself.
  • cubbymoore 30 Jan 2013 18:57:11 36,441 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I hope Apple go into decline soon. Then I can buy their sweeeet products again.
  • Popzeus 31 Jan 2013 07:49:38 8,250 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble They're not thick, they're just average people not nerds. Android assumes a certain level of tech savvy from its users, iOS doesn't, hence Android is more flexible but less easy to use for the average punter.

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• beastmaster 31 Jan 2013 08:30:52 10,172 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I was bored with iOS which is why I switched to a S2.

However, personally I really miss iOS and I've been away from it long enough (2 years). Contract runs out in two weeks and I'll be getting an iPhone 5 in 64G on the day.

I really like the mail, calendar, reminders and the keyboard interface. There's other little things too such as the way a text alert comes through.

I know I can probably change it all in Android but why should I have to trawl through tons of apps to try and find exactly what I want?

That's just me though. Ho hum!

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• UncleLou Moderator 31 Jan 2013 08:38:47 35,172 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    @Darth_Flibble They're not thick, they're just average people not nerds. Android assumes a certain level of tech savvy from its users, iOS doesn't, hence Android is more flexible but less easy to use for the average punter.
    It's also an age thing. I am surounded by people in their mid 30ies to mid 40ies, enough of them (ex)-nerds, and nobodoy really wants to spend more time anymore than absolutely necessary to figure out how their mobile works, or similar stuff.

Personally, I don't really like Android, either. iOS does look a little old-fashioned though, but it works for me. Like the look and feel of Windows phone the most though, it seems like a great solution somewhere between the simplicity of iOS and the customisability of Android.

Edited by UncleLou at 08:39:17 31-01-2013
  • beastmaster 31 Jan 2013 08:47:41 10,172 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting point. Give me Android 20 years ago and it would have been a different story.

/40 something

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 31 January 2013 08:59:17
    I agree with the 'age' thing.

I need my phone to work everyday, whenever I need it. No faffing around with tweaks and shit. iPhone does that for me - I can rely on it.

Years ago I also would've had the time to install weird shit and jail break it. Not now.
  • kalel 31 Jan 2013 09:08:58 83,852 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They're all gravitating towards either other anyway, rather than moving apart. There's far less difference between Android and Apple now than there was a couple of years ago. Windows has introduced some new interesting stuff which the others will either copy or come up with their own version of.

People are invested in a brand now, and those brands will want to limit the reasons to switch as much as possible, and they will do that by making it so that they're all so similar, there's no point.
  • Darth_Flibble 31 Jan 2013 09:19:54 1,504 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    sorry thats just crap, while I agree iOS is very simple. Android is easier to use now, my dad can use is HTC ONE S and he is far from tech savvy. Also I work with people who have switched to android and they not exactly geeks

Edit: its like windows 95, was unfriendly to use but windows 7 is far more user friendly (have not used win8) The same can be said for windows phone, very unfriendly to use before the recent win 7 and 8 phones)

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 09:23:43 31-01-2013
  • nickthegun 31 Jan 2013 09:23:06 55,848 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    People are invested in a brand now, and those brands will want to limit the reasons to switch as much as possible, and they will do that by making it so that they're all so similar, there's no point.
    Its the same with windows and OSX but, yeah, its a grab cycle. One company does something that becomes the defacto standard and the other one apes it. Like the notification bar.

Its hard to imagine a phone without it but it took apple ages to implement it properly.

He totally called it

• Tonka 31 Jan 2013 11:47:37 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Apples biggest problem is that sole genius mythos they built up around knobs is coming back to bite them in their big cozy assess.

• Tonka 31 Jan 2013 11:52:22 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:

I need my phone to work everyday, whenever I need it. No faffing around with tweaks and shit. iPhone does that for me - I can rely on it.

Years ago I also would've had the time to install weird shit and jail break it. Not now.
    There is no need for fading around if you get a relatively modern android build. Is a bunch of FUD.

I guess it helps of you have gmail though...

What do you use your phone for? Apple do have some great third party apps that android lack so that might be a reason. But if you want to navigate, watch YouTube and Facebook then pure iOS is the shitter choice.

• Tonka 31 Jan 2013 11:52:23 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    bdaggers wrote:

There is no need for fading around if you get a relatively modern android build. Is a bunch of FUD.

I guess it helps of you have gmail though...

What do you use your phone for? Apple do have some great third party apps that android lack so that might be a reason. But if you want to navigate, watch YouTube and Facebook then pure iOS is the shitter choice.

• Page

of 7 First / Last