How long before Apple die?

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Previous
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 18:24:54
    Given they've lost their way in just over a year since Jobs died with the iPhone showing nothing new and following others, iPads being released twice a year for no obvious reason and another new iPad being released on Feb 6th, just how long is it going to be before they are dead/just a bit player?

    I know they're making money now but their cult will start to disappear quickly if they keep this up.
  • Chopsen 29 Jan 2013 18:26:22 15,726 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They weathered the wilderness before, I'm sure they will again.
  • Deckard1 29 Jan 2013 18:26:44 27,197 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Space year 3026
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 18:28:01
    As long as there are Media Studies and Graphic Design degree placements, there will be Apple.
  • dominalien 29 Jan 2013 18:28:42 6,836 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm sure they'll take about as long as other huge American companies have. IBM, Novell, Sun, Oracle, Microsoft, Motorola and Google.

    PSN: DonOsito

  • ronuds 29 Jan 2013 18:30:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't particularly understand the need for bi-annual updates, but I don't see why it would hurt them.

    What will hurt them is sticking with the same product for too long when everyone has moved onto something else.

    I haven't seen that happen yet.
  • Deleted user 29 January 2013 18:36:53
    Because it shows them moving away from a direction that was working incredibly well, it gave people confidence that the thing they just bought wouldn't be replaced by something better in a few months.

    Don't underestimate how important that certainty was to a lot of people. They didn't need to worry about catching up on tech before because the combination of product and brand was more than enough.

    There's not much point comparing them to the likes of Microsoft and IBM - they've both done well from businesses more than the consumer market. Apple aren't anywhere near as strong there.
  • Dirtbox 29 Jan 2013 18:37:22 77,475 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They'll always be around in some capacity, but their monopoly is falling away. God forbid they'll have to start being competitive at some point soon.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • jonsaan 29 Jan 2013 18:38:08 25,326 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apple won't die. But the great unwashed will shuffle off towards the next big thing at some point.

    FCUTA!

  • Dirtbox 29 Jan 2013 18:40:44 77,475 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Word on the street is that the kids are all about winphones now. And ting.

    +1 / Like / Tweet this post

  • ronuds 29 Jan 2013 18:42:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aargh. wrote:
    Because it shows them moving away from a direction that was working incredibly well, it gave people confidence that the thing they just bought wouldn't be replaced by something better in a few months.

    Don't underestimate how important that certainty was to a lot of people. They didn't need to worry about catching up on tech before because the combination of product and brand was more than enough.
    I think it may alter but not diminish their audience. The people you're referring to are the trendy type who have to have all the latest things the moment it's released.

    This could be Apple trying to move away from relying on them.
  • northernlights 29 Jan 2013 18:47:47 648 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Jeepers 29 Jan 2013 18:49:27 13,173 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Increased frequency of product releases will have zero effect on sales, other than a slight uplift in margins as a result of better forecasting ability. He said, with no evidence to support him.

    BYOD is the stealth route into business which MS, Dell and IBM are shitting over.

    They'll die in a decade or so like all companies do, but not for the reasons in this thread. More likely they'll be a victim of some unforeseeable disruptive competitor.
  • superdelphinus 29 Jan 2013 18:50:23 8,035 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sorry, but in what sense are Apple failing?!
  • Mr-Brett 29 Jan 2013 18:54:32 12,723 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Sorry, but in what sense are Apple failing?!
    Nobody said they were, is that a rhetorical question or something?

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • FanBoysSuck 29 Jan 2013 19:01:34 1,448 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    There's an interesting article on this subject over on gamesindustry.biz. Basically they don't appear to be going anywhere in the foreseeable future.

    I have noticed my more fashionable thinking mates have all shopped their iPhones in for windows phones though.

    For the emperor!

  • MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Jan 2013 19:08:33 37,364 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's all part of that Apple cycle

    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

  • Maturin 29 Jan 2013 19:11:58 2,890 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Sorry, but in what sense are Apple failing?!
    Not exactly dying. But the share price has taken a big hit in recently and Android is taking over the market from iThings.

    As happened in the 80s Apple had new innovative ideas, which everyone else bought into (or copied Apple woud say), then Apple failed to innovate more and were overtaken.
  • neilka 29 Jan 2013 19:16:02 15,665 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    24 hour if Chris Gwyneth not give cash
  • TarickStonefire 29 Jan 2013 19:20:24 2,900 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Aargh.
    Given they've lost their way in just over a year since Jobs died with the iPhone showing nothing new and following others, iPads being released twice a year for no obvious reason and another new iPad being released on Feb 6th, just how long is it going to be before they are dead/just a bit player?

    I know they're making money now but their cult will start to disappear quickly if they keep this up.
    Given I disagree with almost every reason you've given why Apple are on a terminal decline, it's hard to give you an answer, coz I think you just fancy an Apple fight :)

    But, let's talk looooong term. I often wonder what companies will be around in 100 years, and how they'll have changed if they still are. I have a feeling Apple is one of those companies that will be around, Microsoft, Ford and Coca Cola too. How will they change? Depends who's running the place I suppose, and how much influence other people there have in it.

    Well, except Coke. That pretty much runs itself now. All it needs is a perpetual ad generator and that's it.

    Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

  • beastmaster 29 Jan 2013 19:21:56 11,183 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There is a huge fucking assumption here that Apple are totally incapable of innovating in the future.

    Edit: I've got an old IPad 2 and I'm very tempted by this iPad with the extra storage, retina display etc. I may just upgrade.

    Edited by beastmaster at 19:24:49 29-01-2013

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • Steve_Perry 29 Jan 2013 19:23:04 3,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Pretty sure all their products are selling like wildfire still. Bar the mac but that is probably because of tablets and the general desktop pc dip.

    I wouldn't hate apple half as much if it wasn't for the scientology esque ramblings of a vocal minority of their customers. Die apple hipsters. Die.

    VIVA STEFANSEN

  • FutileResistor 29 Jan 2013 19:42:05 1,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Apple won't die. Leave aside what has happened over the last 6 years with the iphone and ipad and which has propelled them from an interesting medium sized company to the biggest company in the world by market cap.

    Apple won't die because they will never chase the mass market over making a profit. Apple had the chance early on to absolutely bury Android by reducing the price of iphones but they refused to go for market share over profits.

    Apple did this for years in the PC market making net profit margins of 15% plus while dell and HP were getting by on about 5%. There's a reason why getting a Mac over a PC is mocked by some PC fanboys as paying the apple tax.

    Apple targeting profit margin over market share means that even if Apple's market shrinks, they will still continue make profits hand over fist. Last year Apple's net profit margin hit an absurd 30%. This meant for example that while having only 9% of the phone market Apple made 75% of the profits. Thus even if Apple becomes a niche player in the still growing mobile computing sector, they will survive because they will be a very profitable company regardless.
  • Mr-Brett 29 Jan 2013 19:47:55 12,723 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    Pretty sure all their products are selling like wildfire still. Bar the mac but that is probably because of tablets and the general desktop pc dip.

    I wouldn't hate apple half as much if it wasn't for the scientology esque ramblings of a vocal minority of their customers. Die apple hipsters. Die.
    Some say they're not link. You can read a bit much into this stuff though, in searching for that story I found a very similar one from 2008.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • ronuds 29 Jan 2013 19:52:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apple says it's selling and making record everything..

    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2013/01/23Apple-Reports-Record-Results.html

    The Company sold a record 47.8 million iPhones in the quarter, compared to 37 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple also sold a record 22.9 million iPads during the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter. The Company sold 4.1 million Macs, compared to 5.2 million in the year-ago quarter. Apple sold 12.7 million iPods in the quarter, compared to 15.4 million in the year-ago quarter.
    ...'cep Macs and iPods.

    Edited by ronuds at 19:52:56 29-01-2013
  • FutileResistor 29 Jan 2013 19:56:43 1,221 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maturin wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Sorry, but in what sense are Apple failing?!
    Not exactly dying. But the share price has taken a big hit in recently and Android is taking over the market from iThings.

    As happened in the 80s Apple had new innovative ideas, which everyone else bought into (or copied Apple woud say), then Apple failed to innovate more and were overtaken.
    The share price at times is very loosely connected to how a company is doing.
  • Steve_Perry 29 Jan 2013 19:58:16 3,584 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    'Year ago quarter' makes me irrationally angry.

    VIVA STEFANSEN

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 29 Jan 2013 20:08:09 6,654 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I hope they do lose their position, they're fucking expensive and bloody arrogant.

    Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 20:09:20 29-01-2013
  • superdelphinus 29 Jan 2013 20:09:02 8,035 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Sorry, but in what sense are Apple failing?!
    Nobody said they were, is that a rhetorical question or something?
    I would say the thread title implies it, but I forgot this was the Internet
  • Mr-Brett 29 Jan 2013 20:27:18 12,723 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    superdelphinus wrote:
    Sorry, but in what sense are Apple failing?!
    Nobody said they were, is that a rhetorical question or something?
    I would say the thread title implies it, but I forgot this was the Internet
    Sure, that's not an unreasonable thing to take from the title alone but the actual OP doesn't mention any current failures*, nor does anyone else in the thread. It's more of a questioning their future. The title is a bit dramatic in that respect but this is the internet ;)

    *unless creative stagnation could be taken as failure, that's rather subjective though.

    Portable view - Never forget.

  • Page

    of 7 First / Last

    Previous
Log in or register to reply