Are games too long? Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 09:09:58 6,835 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Medal of Honor games used to be cunts for that. I'd play the first three levels and be completely blown away by how awesome they were, then at level 4 the game would become a very dull corridor shooter.
  • quadfather 29 Jan 2013 09:40:21 12,139 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    True. I'm less likely to buy lengthy games now with three kids to keep me busy.
    90% of my game time is after ten these days.
    I find myself staying up far too lat eplaying games purely out of spite sometimes.

'I WILL get some fucking me time'
    Lol, that is me exactly.
    Christ, I do that too and I'm not even a parent.

I really am not cut out for fatherhood.
    Me neither, I just work long hours!
    Yup, late at night for me too, with the occasional blissful few hours at the weekend, depending on what's going on.

Agree about the spite bit too :)

Edit - But, that's not the game's fault though - that's my current situation

Edited by quadfather at 09:41:00 29-01-2013

psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 09:52:20
    Sad but true.

I dropped the girls at nursery this morning and when got back the son was still sleeping so rushed onto max Payne 3, got twenty minutes :(.

I swear the fact I can't play when I want makes me want to play more.
  • Rusty_M 29 Jan 2013 10:23:53 4,688 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My problem is the opposite. I can play, but ill watch something I hate on TV or ill just mope or read forums or a mixture of these things, when I should just stay on my arse and play something!

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• quadfather 29 Jan 2013 10:37:13 12,139 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Pepsipop - exactly the same.

I got a grand total of 35 minutes on skyrim last sunday, and I think that was it for the whole bloody weekend! And we haven't got kids either! But that doesn't really matter, as there's always something on.

However, hopefully chin up soon though, because as I'll be brassic this month, it's a case of games + films and not so much pub + footy.

4 packs + late night gaming methinks

• Zizoo 29 Jan 2013 10:44:51 8,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    My problem is the opposite. I can play, but ill watch something I hate on TV or ill just mope or read forums or a mixture of these things, when I should just stay on my arse and play something!
    I'm exactly the same. When I do get to play, rather than start Dark Souls or something "substantial", I play Fifa...
  • kinky_mong 29 Jan 2013 10:45:03 10,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The best example of game padding is in every Zelda game when once you've completed all the dungeons, you then have to do some arbitrary fetch bullshit, often followed by re-fighting a few bosses you've already fought.
    That's a bit of hyperbole, I only recall Windwaker and Skyward Sword* doing that, Ocarina certainly doesn't have a long fetch quest or a section doing all the boss fights again at the end.

I agree that "Boss Rush" levels towards the end of a game are definitely a crime in unnecessary padding.

*Skyward Sword felt like one third of a full game padded out to fill 20+ hours with crappy fetch quests and outright making you repeat a dungeon for one of them!

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Rusty_M 29 Jan 2013 12:04:55 4,688 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    I'm exactly the same. When I do get to play, rather than start Dark Souls or something "substantial", I play Fifa...
    Do you also get pissed off at yourself for sitting around not playing? I do.

• Zizoo 29 Jan 2013 12:07:01 8,374 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Yup. I even go as far as to make a list of what I need to play, but I always end up watching bullshit telly with some Fifa before bed.
  • quadfather 29 Jan 2013 12:09:28 12,139 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Yup. I even go as far as to make a list of what I need to play, but I always end up watching bullshit telly with some Fifa before bed.
    Hmm, if I'm honest, I think I do this too. I'll sit at the pc with a cuppa and just browse shite for too long. Then I'll look at the games in steam and tick them off - "Can't be arsed", "Stuck on that one", "not in the mood for that one"

heh, we're our own worst enemies :)

• dancingrob 29 Jan 2013 12:25:09 1,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I tend to have two games on the go at once for just that reason.

if my wife heads to bed relatively early, I know I can happily get 2-3 hours gaming in, so tend to play something relatively substantial (currently Arkham City, which I'd agree has lots of 'optional' stuff, rather than padding, although I'm not enjoying it as much as the first game as it's not quite so tightly focused, partially as a result of the optional stuff).

If I've got half hour before bed / a long lunch break, I'll always play something more pick up & play, currently Forza Horizon.

Of course, the problem then comes when I find the quick game of Peggle I started for 10 minutes before bed is still going on at half past midnight...
  • Rusty_M 29 Jan 2013 12:30:42 4,688 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Only 2 games on the go?

Then again, with me on the go can mean I've not played it for six months. I have a Steam backlog. 'Nuff said!

• Popzeus 29 Jan 2013 12:51:51 8,330 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd really like to see someone make a AAA FPS that could be finished in the time it takes to watch a film (2-3 hours) and was just wall-to-wall set-pieces: all killer no filler, minimal re-use of assets (different enemies in every scene, fewer but more detailed locations)... the gaming equivalent of a big summer blockbuster. Replay value could just come from the multiplayer and different difficulty levels in the SP.

Ideally it's have an easy difficulty level that genuinely was easy, i.e. you could give a non-gamer the controller and they would be able to finish the game in the same time it takes anyone else and have a comparable experience, even if it's virtually playing itself.

Think how many new gamers you'd hook in with a strategy like that.

/gets blog

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• quadfather 29 Jan 2013 12:53:52 12,139 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Popzeus - I treat house of the dead overkill in exactly the same way as you describe

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 12:56:10
    I don't think games are too long, it's just that most game nowadays are quite a slog to get through.
  • dancingrob 29 Jan 2013 12:57:43 1,170 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rusty_M

the reasoning was that whenever I've had multiple 'proper' games on the go at once, I end up not really playing any of them, and always defaulting to the 'casual' game in lieu of making a decision!

I suppose it's not quite accurate to say 'only 2', as I'm also replaying Gears 2 co-op with my brother, as well as the odd bit of Rock Band / MP Gears 3, but I'm very unlikely to start another solo single player game before I'm done with Arkham City.
  • Fourwisemen 29 Jan 2013 13:56:26 165 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    I'd really like to see someone make a AAA FPS that could be finished in the time it takes to watch a film (2-3 hours) and was just wall-to-wall set-pieces: all killer no filler, minimal re-use of assets (different enemies in every scene, fewer but more detailed locations)... the gaming equivalent of a big summer blockbuster. Replay value could just come from the multiplayer and different difficulty levels in the SP.

Ideally it's have an easy difficulty level that genuinely was easy, i.e. you could give a non-gamer the controller and they would be able to finish the game in the same time it takes anyone else and have a comparable experience, even if it's virtually playing itself.

Think how many new gamers you'd hook in with a strategy like that.

/gets blog
    Sound a bit like 'The Club'. A very good idea of a game, loads of replay value but something about it just didn't feel right.

Thinking about it now, that game might have benefited from being a light gun game.
  • stryker1121 29 Jan 2013 15:58:56 692 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Shikasama Point taken, although I'm the type of person who's going to take a crack at the Riddler puzzles because they're there and if I don't participate I'm "missing out on something," so to speak. I do stand by my point that the Arkham games don't need to be open world.

But using your definition, Darksiders 2 was the most egregious example of padding I'd seen in ages. To get the chance to find mcguffin A you had to go and collect mcguffins B, C, and D beforehand. DS2 (which I did enjoy in large part) was almost a satire of modern RPG design, IMO.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next