Racing Legends - Colin McRae

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • barchetta 27 Jan 2013 22:15:27 1,334 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Quick shout - delayed from Christmas/New Year . It's on now BBC2 / HD. Sir Chris Hoy with Colin's dad, Jimmy.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 22:18:57
    watching it now. Its odd it seems alot longer than 5/6 years since he died. Ashame that rallying as pratically died on its arse since.
  • X201 27 Jan 2013 22:38:21 15,476 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Ashame that rallying as pratically died on its arse since.
    Not helped by it disappearing from mainstream channels and into the wilds of Freeview and satellite.

Used to watch it whenever it was on. Now I can't even be bothered searching for the GB rally.
  • superdelphinus 27 Jan 2013 23:47:24 8,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit of an odd programme reaaly
  • Psychotext 27 Jan 2013 23:50:45 54,208 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sad that Richard Burns doesn't get more attention. Especially as he didn't die taking out two innocent kids through fuckwittery.

Edited by Psychotext at 23:51:41 27-01-2013
  • barchetta 28 Jan 2013 01:27:56 1,334 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wow. Just took a look at the current WRC table... I've heard of Loeb... and Hirvonen.

I don't think it is down to a lack of UK talent being in the running so much as it simply falling off the sporting radar, and it being a one horse race for some time.

I'm going to make an effort to watch some races this season and see if there are still characters and rivalries. A certain Mr Block looks to be involved too...

My era of standing in the dank trees around Kielder or the bleak tops around Sweetlamb (6R4, Quattro, RS200 through to the late 90s Subaru/Mitsu. battles) are ancient history now :(
  • barchetta 28 Jan 2013 01:34:53 1,334 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    An RB retrospective would be most welcome. Always think of him as the Jenson Button to McRae as Lewis Hamilton. One talented on a preternatural manner, the other very gifted but more efficient and less likely to go too far over the edge.
  • superdelphinus 28 Jan 2013 08:16:44 8,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreed. The whole was a bit weird in that most of the programme was celebrating CM's reckless and mental driving style, the thing that ended up killing two children. just a bit weird.
  • boo 28 Jan 2013 09:19:56 11,783 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I guess different driving styles appeal to people in different ways. So I always preferred Prost to Senna, and I think Button's a far better driver than Hamilton, simply because they seem to have a more measured driving style.

The big difference is that in Formula 1, you're the only one in the car, and every other driver on the track has signed up to those same set of risks that you have.

With McRae, he was putting his co-drivers life at risk every time he went out (although I fully accept that they knew what they were getting into).

And as for the helicopter crash 'probably' being due to him pushing himself beyond his skills again...

To paraphrase Top Gun, 'his ego was writing cheques his ability couldn't cash'.

The more I hear about him, the more I think he was just a bit of an idiot. I think one of the stats was 'Started nineteen rallies in one season. Finished three.'

I don't care how amazing those three finishes might have been. Those sorts of figures suggest that you're not actually as good a driver as you seem to think you are.

I would qualify this by saying I nothing about rallying other than what I learnt playing WRC on the PS1, so what do I know?

Just Another Lego Blog

• KD 28 Jan 2013 14:23:17 665 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to go to watch the welsh rally and seen Colin McRae pass a few times in the margam or cwmavon stages but not been for years, tv coverage being non existent and car makers pulling out not helped the interest in the sport, only program I know of is Rallio on S4C
  • superdelphinus 28 Jan 2013 14:46:16 8,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the trouble with rallying is that we know it's amazing what they are able to do with the car etc, but is it actually fun to watch a series of time trials?
  • colinmac 28 Jan 2013 15:30:27 733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wondered about that game also. Looked quite nice !

Live: Colinmac
    PSN: Colinmac
    3DS: 0946-2363-3364

• jellyhead 28 Jan 2013 15:46:10 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    superdelphinus wrote:
    I think the trouble with rallying is that we know it's amazing what they are able to do with the car etc, but is it actually fun to watch a series of time trials?
    Yes. The problem is that we get a half hour program with about 10 minutes of rallying and the rest is some fairly boring interviews. IT's got a budget of about a tenner so they do their best but yeah, coverage has done it's bit to drive people away i'd say.

Sad, i bloody loved watching Rallying when i was younger there again it was the era of the nutty-cars :)

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Deleted user 29 January 2013 06:36:31
    anthonypappa wrote:
    what was the game they were playing? it wasn't dirt...
    The narrator says something along the lines of "his (colin mcrae) Legends game", while Chris and Ken were playing!? Can't say I'm familiar with it.
  • X201 29 Jan 2013 06:56:26 15,476 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeSpank wrote:
    anthonypappa wrote:
    what was the game they were playing? it wasn't dirt...
    The narrator says something along the lines of "his (colin mcrae) Legends game", while Chris and Ken were playing!? Can't say I'm familiar with it.
    There was an old style cars mode in one of the Dirt games.
    Will freeze frame it on iPlayer later

Edited by X201 at 06:57:48 29-01-2013
  • superdelphinus 29 Jan 2013 08:03:55 8,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't get me wrong, I love watching footage of drivers hurling cars around muddy forests like they have no sense of fear. But not time after time on long stages racing against the clock.

Also, I think with f1 drivers it's all relative. I think the nature of the beast is that they're pretty much all incredibly smooth drivers - the difference between button and Hamilton in terms of 'smoothness' is incredibly slight
  • superdelphinus 29 Jan 2013 08:05:10 8,062 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Which is the game that has that crazy Hyundai car that was designed to break that hill climb record in the US? Basically an f1 car mated with batmobile
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next