The joint dislocation thread :) Page 2

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Next
  • robthehermit 29 Jan 2013 23:23:51 3,827 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I dislocated my knee once. Probably the most pain I have ever been in in my life. It took 2 ambulance crews 2 hours, 2 bottles of gas and an injection to finally manage to get me to the hospital. They kept hoping it would pop back in if they tried to move , it didn't and eventually they gave up.Doctor on duty walked over, looked at it, said I know what to do and grabbed my kneecap (which was round the side of my leg) and tried to force it back into place. I screamed like a girl. He eventually decided that wasn't going to work either so they knocked me out completely to reset it. I spent 6 weeks with a full length cast on, followed by an operation on each knee to move the tendons over to prevent further dislocations. The operation apparently involved chipping out the bit of bone where the tendons attach, making a little hole for it a bit further over and sticking the bit of bone back in. Another 6 weeks in plaster for each leg. That was about 7 years ago, no dislocations since, but on the down side thanks to the operations I can no longer kneel down without a great deal of pain.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Psychotext 29 Jan 2013 23:29:42 52,768 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't really know what to say to that, so you'll get the most appropriate smiley I can find...

:|

Horrible!
  • Oh-Bollox 30 Jan 2013 00:02:56 5,093 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did one knee when I was 10 playing football (broke my ankle in the same accident). Mate came over as I pulled my trouser leg up, and he said "That's bump's come up quick." referring to a flattish lump on the side of my knee.

It was my kneecap.

He bent down to get a closer look and I punched him in the face for being so fucking stupid. Never been in so much pain, broken bones hurt less. It stayed there for several minutes, and it was constant agony, I couldn't move or straighten the leg. I was incoherent.

Did each knee multiple times playing rugby as a teen. Doctors advised physio would reduce the frequency, it didn't. They said I could have surgery, and that would reduce the chances of it happening again if I also stopped doing things that made it happen. Never went back, stopped playing rugby.

Did it a handful of times since, only for a few seconds, they never got 'trapped' on the side of the leg again. Been doing aikido for the past few years, and it's happened once.

The mixture of terror and disgust and pain is something I would not wish on anyone. I sometimes feel it beginning to happen when walking on icy surfaces or similar (e.g. the forces will start to ease the kneecap off to the side) and generally I snap my leg straight and stop, covered in cold sweat, feeling sick. It's utterly foul.
  • Psychotext 30 Jan 2013 00:35:27 52,768 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, when my knee gets close to going I get a bit of a cold sweat.
  • ronuds 31 Jan 2013 14:55:58 21,788 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You guys are giving me nightmares. My knee gets slightly out of whack, but never to the extent that it's on the side of my leg!

Sounds truly horrific.
  • RedSparrows 3 Feb 2013 23:36:47 20,739 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Terror, disgust and pain is a very succinct summary. I have never dislocated anything, or broken owt, but i have been punched and got my hand stuck in a door once. As Smith says in 1984, there is nothing wore than physical pain in that moment. It consumes you, it is foul. I hope i never feel any of the above...
  • Jazzy_Geoff 4 Feb 2013 00:17:43 7,767 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    When I was a teenager I got to a point where both my shoulders would dislocate and pop back in at least once each every time I played rugby, hurt like billy oh at first, got used it. Not my worst injury
  • BillMurray 4 Feb 2013 07:30:20 7,232 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Feel a bit queasy reading this thread back, especially with the knee injuries. My Dad's side of the family has dodgy knees, usually with the joint popping out. I've not had any problems yet so I'm hoping its skipped a generation.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 4 Feb 2013 08:02:12 552 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    I dislocated my knee once. Probably the most pain I have ever been in in my life. It took 2 ambulance crews 2 hours, 2 bottles of gas and an injection to finally manage to get me to the hospital. They kept hoping it would pop back in if they tried to move , it didn't and eventually they gave up.Doctor on duty walked over, looked at it, said I know what to do and grabbed my kneecap (which was round the side of my leg) and tried to force it back into place. I screamed like a girl. He eventually decided that wasn't going to work either so they knocked me out completely to reset it. I spent 6 weeks with a full length cast on, followed by an operation on each knee to move the tendons over to prevent further dislocations. The operation apparently involved chipping out the bit of bone where the tendons attach, making a little hole for it a bit further over and sticking the bit of bone back in. Another 6 weeks in plaster for each leg. That was about 7 years ago, no dislocations since, but on the down side thanks to the operations I can no longer kneel down without a great deal of pain.
    Fuck that's almost identical to what I had done. Think I'd rather give birth out of my arse than have pain like that again!
    They broke my leg and re attached ligaments to try and stop my knee from crunching/grinding and dislocating.
    Now I'm left with a sticky outy boney thing on my leg.

Arsechickens

• Deckard1 3 May 2013 09:08:55 25,354 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Done my shoulder at kickboxing again last night, thats the 4th time in as many months. Anyone used a shoulder support for sports before? I'm looking at something like this - are they much use, and how much do they restrict your movement?

Called it

• MrTomFTW Moderator 3 May 2013 09:12:18 36,260 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A friend of mine had an operation last year because his shoulder kept popping out. He woke up a couple of times in agony as it had dislocated while he slept.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• mcmothercruncher 3 May 2013 09:20:11 5,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bad news Deckard, sorry to hear that.

The sport might be good for keeping the joint supported and, more importantly, warm while it settles- I'm a firm believer in heat for increasing blood flow and therefore repair once the initial swelling has gone.

But, speaking from experience, I don't think there is anything as effective as just working out like a fucker once better. You need that joint to tighten back up and, seeing as the tendons may not be able to return back to their original length, you need the muscles to take up that slack. When the shoulder is under load, some neoprene isnt going to do a damn thing- you need balanced shoulder joint muscles.
    Lots of rotator cuff type stuff with surgical rubber bands...
  • Deckard1 3 May 2013 09:20:31 25,354 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    A friend of mine had an operation last year because his shoulder kept popping out. He woke up a couple of times in agony as it had dislocated while he slept.
    Yeah I'm trying to avoid the operation, you can't drive or anything for 3 month

Edited by Deckard1 at 09:21:21 03-05-2013

Called it

• Deckard1 3 May 2013 09:25:15 25,354 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @mcmothercruncher

Its something I've had a problem with since I was about 17. My shoulders are pretty big now (I lift bro), though I've lost a fair bit of bulk since starting with the kickboxing about 6 month ago. Don't really want to get any bigger as I don't like the meat head look, was just hoping a support would help. Think I may just need to bite the bullet and get an operation though, as it seems to be getting worse.

Called it

• DaM 3 May 2013 09:52:17 12,603 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mine used to pop out, but it's fine now. Since I broke it and was in a ridiculous plaster for 6 weeks.

Edited by DaM at 09:52:43 03-05-2013
  • TheBlackDog 3 May 2013 10:16:23 259 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Dislocated my little finger at the last joint right on the end of the finger the other night while sparring at karate. Didn't think anything of it at the time - just bent it back and popped it back in place. A week later and its still painful when I grip something really tight (not just the joint but the whole finger and the knuckle feels bruised).

Should I have done something at the time, like put it in a splint or gone to the doctors ? I assume(d) that it will just heal by itself eventually.

/what ? Still technically a joint dislocation even if it is just a pinky :cry:
  • jampar 3 May 2013 10:55:46 57 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Slipped in the wet at a train station and fell down the stairs. Dislocated and fractured my ankle. my left foot was turned 45' to the left, and was hanging limp off the end of my leg. Almost no pain as was in shock. went to A&E, and they gave me the most almighty dose of ketamine to put it back in place. Much to my girlfriends disgust, as i started coming up, i repeated about 20 times "I am OFFFFF MY FACE". I then promptly went into the K hole which was one of the most unpleasant experiences of my entire life - god knows why people take that stuff for fun. I had surgery a week later to put 9 screws and a massive plate in my ankle - non weight bearing for 4 months.

the most pain was after surgery - they had me on a self administering morphine drip. Felt fine until they took me off it. It wore off in the car on the way home, and I cried like a girl until the tramadol took effect about 2 hrs later. Absolute agony, and far worse than the break itself. I received the most amazing care from St Georges tooting - do not hesitate to go there if you are in need. Best trauma hospital in the whole of London i am told.
  • Deckard1 3 May 2013 10:59:17 25,354 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wait you can actually go into a k hole when you use it medically? I thought it was just if you snorted it? Where did you go? Its a fucking appalling place.

Called it

• jampar 3 May 2013 17:36:37 57 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The only way i can describe it is that i felt like i was in a world of liquid- it was horrible. Did not feel a thing when the pulled my foot back the correct way. According to my Mrs, i just looked at her funny. From what the anesthesitist said to me is that you are supposed to go into the K-hole - you do not feel any pain at all when "under". It is used as a battlefield and accident anesthetic as it is one of the only drugs that puts you out, but does not depress your heart - lung function. that was in charing cross hospital in London. Nowhere near as good as St Georges where i had the surgery. I was given a medical dose, which is as pure as it comes - I was in the k-hole for only about 10- 20 mins or so. When i came around, i was very very sick indeed, but had the same feelings as i had when coming up - off my face basically.
  • mcmothercruncher 3 May 2013 18:32:19 5,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It might just not be a question of muscle bulk D, but muscle balance.
    I've definitely been guilty of working more on the showy chest/bicep stuff in the past, leaving me bulked up where it looks "good" but still having shitty strength specifically where it mattered during extreme ranges of motion. I do a lot more work on my back muscles now.

Years back I had surgery and was told confidently by the surgeon that I'd never dislocate my arm again as it'd never be able to rotate outward more than 90 degrees again. He cut the main tendon and sewed it back over itself to shorten and thicken it up. An enormous 12 inch scar, loss of all feeling in the skin of my shoulder from cut nerves, a long recovery and... started dislocating again within the year. The tendon just stretched right out again.

I suspect a lot of surgical solutions are fine if you lead a "regular" life. If you want to keep doing dynamic/sporty stuff though, the success rate drops off noticeably. Not saying don't do it, rather, discuss specifically what can go wrong and perhaps factor in a revised view of what you can expect of the joint post op...
  • mcmothercruncher 12 Jan 2014 09:27:21 5,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dislocated shoulder again last night. Four hours of people hanging off of my arm twisting in all directions and I had to have a general anaesthetic in the end so muscles stopped spasming. Fucking sore this morning. Looks like I'll need some kind of bone graft surgery to physically block it moving. I am pissed off :(
  • Banyans 12 Jan 2014 10:12:15 14 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • mcmothercruncher 13 Jan 2014 10:02:51 5,703 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Neverfuckingmind.

Edited by mcmothercruncher at 19:41:44 13-01-2014
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Next