The joint dislocation thread :)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • mcmothercruncher 27 Jan 2013 02:19:42 6,683 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I managed shoulder dislocation number 16 tonight.

And, yes, it's my wanking hand.

At home, reaching for a heavy suitcase in loft and, pop. Bastard. Girlfriend and I tried for 45 minutes to get the fecker back in so I wouldn't have to go to A&E. Funny thing is, I'd set up a new router yesterday and it wasn't quite there, so I'm mid dislocation on my hands and knees, swearing like a sailor under the desk and trying to diagnose the wifi and get it working so I can get on to YouTube and watch some videos on getting it back in ;)
    It was Fawlty Towers, with added DNS issues.

No good, am in A&E, slightly high on gas and air still, but with two working arms again thankfully.

Anyone else suffer from dislocations?
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 02:28:46
    Nah I stretch. :)

My ribs are still broken though from a fight a month ago, have to sleep on my back.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2013 02:30:58
    If it's any consolation some guy clicked his knuckles for ages and found it didn't cause athritis. I think it got him a nobel prize wtf?
  • Luckyjim 27 Jan 2013 02:35:28 2,873 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I technically suffered a dislocation of the elbow following a complex arm fracture. But that was mostly because the top of my forearm completely collapsed. I'm now part titanium :)
  • jonsaan 27 Jan 2013 09:49:33 25,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lethal Weapon is the only guide you need for resetting it.

FCUTA!

• Deckard1 27 Jan 2013 10:03:23 27,571 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    My shoulder used to dislocate all the time too. The best thing I can recommend is start doing some weights to build up the muscles around it. I still have the odd jolt but it doesn't go all the way out anymore. Not since I became all ripped and shit bro.

Hush you ponce

• PazJohnMitch 27 Jan 2013 11:35:05 7,955 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Broke my ring finger a few years ago. Had surgery to try an fix it but it has been left in a permanent state of dislocation.
  • Psychotext 27 Jan 2013 11:49:38 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thanks to hypermobility I've lost count of the number of times my shoulder has dislocated. It's not even such a big thing any more.

My knee though, if that even comes close to going it's fucking agony.
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2013 11:56:04 77,634 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    What the fuck is hypermobility?

My shoulder and knee both dislocate, the knee isn't so bad as it pops back in when I straighten my leg, but my shoulder is a nightmare because it can pop back in and trap a nerve while doing so.

Oh, I can dislocate my legs from my pelvis as well. Probably not a great thing.

Edited by Dirtbox at 11:57:42 27-01-2013

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• mal 27 Jan 2013 12:02:33 22,407 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hypermobility's double-jointedness isn't it?

When I was younger my thumbs would often lock in position and I'd have to stretch the joint to get them to free up. Dunno if that's related to dislocation, but it's the closest I've ever got.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Psychotext 27 Jan 2013 12:22:04 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    This: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermobility
  • ecureuil 27 Jan 2013 12:23:47 76,651 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Boneitis?
  • Psychotext 27 Jan 2013 12:30:31 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'll have it cured, one day.
  • mcmothercruncher 27 Jan 2013 19:17:04 6,683 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yup, it sounds very much like you are hypermobile Dirtbox, at least you know what it is now :)
    When the dislocations started in my 20's, many consultants/doctors denied it existed.

I do workout 2 to 3 times a week, rotator cuffing for England, really don't enjoy it actually, but, yeah, need to keep those shoulders in place. I suspect I've worn a nice groove in the cup now via which, with slack tendons, the joint can slide out of :(

Had surgery to shorten the tendon on the right and was confidently told by the surgeon that my arm would never again be able to rotate beyond 90 degrees outwards. Within 6 months I was back to where I was before. Arrogant surgeons have been a bit of a theme actually, I hope people starting their hypermobile career path are given better help these days.

I'm up to 3 times in the left shoulder and 16 in the right now and none of them have been as bad as last night- I must have trapped something as it was about 3 or 4 times as painful as it's ever been.

Anyway, really fucking enjoying learning to brush my teeth with the wrong hand all over again....
  • Dirtbox 27 Jan 2013 19:22:11 77,634 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh, well there we go then.

• jonsaan 27 Jan 2013 19:23:59 25,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How painful is it?

Does it make you puke?

FCUTA!

• Dirtbox 27 Jan 2013 19:26:05 77,634 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not me, it's just sort of uncomfortable.

• jonsaan 27 Jan 2013 19:27:33 25,335 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sounds nasty.

FCUTA!

• Psychotext 27 Jan 2013 19:46:58 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I guess dislocations are far worse for people who don't have it.
  • mcmothercruncher 29 Jan 2013 16:06:36 6,683 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aside from the psychological "OH SHIT, MY ARM IS IN THE WRONG PLACE!" stuff, which has never bothered me personally, it's normally just sort of painfully dull/uncomfortable.
    My guess is that the extra muscle I've put on over the last few years is what made it really sore- it was like doing it for the first time again with a whole load of new tissue to stretch.
    So, there's a sort of positive to come out of a negative, yay :)
  • Shikasama 29 Jan 2013 16:08:32 6,701 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I once dislocated my sense of self.

It was very strange
  • spindle9988 29 Jan 2013 16:15:07 3,516 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    dislocated my knee and my finger. I tried to put my finger back in the joint straight away and broke it. It fucking killed
  • ronuds 29 Jan 2013 16:21:24 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've never heard of this hypermobility, but it would appear I am also... that. I scored 7/9 on the Beighton thing. I don't think my knees bend backward. I can bend some of my fingers so far that they lie flat against the back of my hand, though.

I have problems with one of my knees popping, but that's about it. I play hockey goal, so it's an issue sometimes when I go to move and can't.
  • elstoof 29 Jan 2013 16:28:38 6,928 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    A friend once got so stoned he lost his stash.
  • Psychotext 29 Jan 2013 17:24:03 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I can bend some of my fingers so far that they lie flat against the back of my hand, though.
    Good god... mine are flexible, but not that bad. Freaky!

My knees do bend backwards though.
  • Psychotext 29 Jan 2013 17:26:31 53,915 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ...and I just dislocated a finger seeing how far they would go. :(
  • ronuds 29 Jan 2013 17:33:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    I can bend some of my fingers so far that they lie flat against the back of my hand, though.
    Good god... mine are flexible, but not that bad. Freaky!

My knees do bend backwards though.
    I equally disgust and amaze people with the finger thing. I can do some other stuff that I always thought was normal which I'm told is not.

I knew a girl who could join her hands behind her back and roll her arms all the way to the front. THAT was freaky and nasty! Just thinking about what her elbow had to do in order to make that happen makes me cringe even now.
  • Rusty_M 29 Jan 2013 17:48:02 4,636 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not flat, but I used to be able to bend one finger back until it touched the back of my hand. I can still do it, but only just and it now hurts like hell for a couple of minutes if I do.

My wrist dislocates frequently, and has done ever since I broke my arm when I was 16. I can put it back, but it's a bit unpleasant.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• mcmothercruncher 29 Jan 2013 18:37:03 6,683 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Eek, ouch PT, bloody hell.

To each his own, but I'd never fuck with my joints for fun. I get the-entirely research free- feeling that each time is one step closer to arthritis later on.

I think I dislocated my knee twice when a teenager. Heavily into skating and I think they were getting caned a bit from all the falls, because it hasn't happened since. Sat down and felt it move and literally could not straighten my leg. It was the weirdest sensation to be willing my leg to move and watching nothing happen.
  • localnotail 29 Jan 2013 19:04:20 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    A friend once got so stoned he lost his stash.
    Only users lose drugs.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous