Children, PEGI Ratings and Shooter Games

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • RelaxedMikki 23 Jan 2013 22:12:36 929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What is the Eurogamer opinion on under sixteens playing a shooter game such as Halo?

Is a first person shooter video-game really worse than a Batman movie, or a Star Wars film, or a Premier League football match, or a junior school playground, or a council estate car park, or an under-twelves football match?

In terms of the violence, or bad language, or competitive and aggressive attitude of the participants are games judged more severely than other entertainment mediums?

(I don't want to incriminate myself here. I would never let my children play COD, but they may have seen me playing Skyrim and Halo...)

EDIT: and when I say "may have seen me playing", I may mean "have completed themselves". For the sake of argument...

Edited by RelaxedMikki at 22:17:55 23-01-2013
  • neilka 23 Jan 2013 22:14:34 16,091 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RelaxedMikki wrote:
    What is the Eurogamer opinion on under sixteens
    /calls lawyer

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 22:20:19
    Depends what it is. Most of the modern shit probably let's you stab people in the neck and gouge eyes out. Hardly the same as cod and the like of old where there was no graphic violence shown.
  • RelaxedMikki 23 Jan 2013 22:22:39 929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @rodpad Fair enough.

Can you tell me if the old beaten horse tells me if my 5 year old should stop playing co-op Halo Spartan Ops with me?

Hypothetically
  • Ged42 23 Jan 2013 22:23:49 7,736 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Under 16s should all be banned from playing from playing first person shooters, because they're miles better than me and it's not fair.
  • Deleted user 23 January 2013 22:24:30
    There's not any real reason halo should have a high rating is there? Jet force Gemini is more violent :)
  • mal 23 Jan 2013 22:25:30 22,605 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I watched the Lego City trailer earlier, and found one of the combat moves to be especially gruesome. I feel I may be getting old.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• RelaxedMikki 23 Jan 2013 22:28:32 929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Lego games are particularly violent.

It is all shooting and punching people.

At least in Halo you are shooting and punching aliens.

(Not sure if that makes it any better myself. But the rating people seem to think it is. Or isn't. Or something.)
  • PazJohnMitch 23 Jan 2013 22:31:59 8,126 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I would not let my kids play CoD online. More because I do not want them to be brainless, fad following, chavs than anything else. The violence and rating is second but I think it should be an 18.

Never seen any issues with Halo. For me it should have a 12 rating.
  • bad09 23 Jan 2013 23:16:24 5,953 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ratings are not some magical law set in stone and people under that age are doomed to be corrupted if they watch or playing something rated higer than their age ratings are merely guides for parents and a protection for shops so they don't get into trouble.

If the child has a clear understanding, not only of what they are seeing on screen but also understands the clear different between entertainment and real life then I see no problem whatsoever no matter the game be it Halo, COD whatever. It's all about understanding your child and their mind.

Sure some parents will just let them have a game without checking it and that is bad parenting but all this young kids being corrupted by violent games is just the same old crap they said about horror movies, comics, rock & roll, even books once upon a time. It's all a cover to hide the ills of society and hide the simple fact that teenagers are bloody horrible people (come on we were all teenagers, we were horrible and you know it!).
  • Rusty_M 23 Jan 2013 23:24:28 4,706 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think they simply shouldn't play them and that's it. I think parents have to take some real responsibility. Don't just get an 8 year old kid Call of Duty and let him play it on his own. If you're not sure of the content, vet it first. Play it with the kid so you can see how they are reacting to it etc.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• jonsaan 23 Jan 2013 23:36:08 25,352 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Understand what your kids are playing and who they are playing with. Applies to things other than video games too. works for me.

Edited by jonsaan at 23:36:49 23-01-2013

FCUTA!

• SpaceDave3000 23 Jan 2013 23:56:13 78,254 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Children are pricks, doubly so if they're playing something competitive against a bunch of other pricks.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• ZuluHero 24 Jan 2013 00:02:12 4,175 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    11-16 probably not a problem. 5 years old is probably a bit young. I wouldn't play halo with my 5 year Olof.

Edit: has your partner said something? This sounds a lot like the type of thing that comes up with my wife ;)

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:03:27 24-01-2013
  • RelaxedMikki 24 Jan 2013 00:05:23 929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    How should I stop my 5 year old playing Halo 4?

/should have been the tile of this thread

/he really loves it

/it's really good
  • ZuluHero 24 Jan 2013 00:17:28 4,175 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well if both you and your partner are happy for your five year old to be playing halo, then who are we to say? Only you can decide what's best for your family.

Personally with my own child, if I see a stimulus affecting her behaviour then I nip it in the bud. For example, my daughter can't play games on school nights or it makes her crazy the next day. If she eats ice cream she goes into overload and hyped up.

If you're not seeing adverse behaviour or any other issues that give you cause for concern then dont worry about. But please take into account how things that kids see influence them far greater when they are young and the things that you expose them to shapes them as they grow. You can't be there all the time to watch them all of the time and you'll never know if or when they might decide to reenact some battle or scene from the game at playtime and hurt some other child.

Edited by ZuluHero at 00:20:28 24-01-2013
  • RelaxedMikki 24 Jan 2013 00:21:48 929 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @ZuluHero

That's a very cool answer. Thank you.

It's kind of like I am trying to make my children understand violent behavior rather than pretending it doesn't exist. maybe...>
  • bad09 24 Jan 2013 00:24:23 5,953 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RelaxedMikki

I dunno 5 does seems very young even for something as cartoony as Halo but if you are a gamer it's only natural the kids will want a go. How does your child react to it? How is his understanding of the concept of media and entertainment? As ZuluHero says, no one can really decide on what's best for your child except for you so if he is just having fun and understands fully what's on the screen without any ill effects no one else can tell you different.

If you really think he should stop though just try something else with him instead of playing Halo, introduce something new by playing with him. Doesn't have to be one of these "kids" games my little girl loves stuff like Rayman, Train Sim, Sonic racing even Street Fighter sometimes with it's comical violence (can't play them for shit yet but she likes them! :) ).
  • barchetta 24 Jan 2013 00:36:00 1,337 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    My kids have seen and played Halo 4 together within the confines of: Offline / Forge mode / Weekend only.

I'm not sure the violence is any worse than watching Marvel Avengers or Iron Man movies - though the fact that games are active and not passive may have some bearing on certification.

I'm more gratified that via the game they now have a sizeable collection of MegaBloks kit and are more often making stop motion films and writing/drawing Halo inspired guff than playing the game.

My 9 yr old really wants a Gold membership to try Spartan Ops though... :)

Oh.. and on a general 'shooter' note. I don't really go for COD et al (since MW1) so they wouldn't be exposed to that franchise (and I wouldn't allow it even if I had the games, I consider them more 'related to the world we live in' and deserving of the higher certification). Far Cry 3 is only ever played once they are in bed too.

Edited by barchetta at 00:39:26 24-01-2013
  • DaM 24 Jan 2013 10:51:00 13,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had a "discussion" with a colleague/mate about this last week. He is a gamer, intelligent, a good parent. I was surprised to hear his 9 yr old plays Halo. I don't let mine. He reckoned the Pegi ratings were for ability and not content!

Halo "lego" is marketed at the under-10s.
  • Deleted user 24 January 2013 10:54:58
    Halo doesn't have gore, language or sex, don't see the problem. It's not even close to something like COD. It's like the difference between Street Fighter and God of War :D

Even Metroid Other M is rated 16 for some bizarre reason.

Edited by CrispyXUK at 10:55:34 24-01-2013
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next