• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • THFourteen 23 Jan 2013 12:34:23 31,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone watch this on sky last night?

Essentially a serial killer drama.

I thought it was pretty good, a little formulaic maybe, but the interaction between the characters was excellent.

Will keep watching I think
  • Trane 24 Jan 2013 23:09:35 4,049 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just caught up on sky+. Very promising I thought, always rated James Purefoy too.

That agent Mason has one hell of a box, which is a bonus.

Edited by Trane at 23:10:04 24-01-2013
  • Syrette 26 Jan 2013 15:47:36 41,792 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caught the first episode of this the other day.

Thought it was a little underwhelming to be honest, but show openers often are. So it wouldn't seem fair to say the characters outside of the antagonist seem pretty shallow. Kevin Bacon is a good actor but I hope there's more to him than calm, intelligent detective who occasionally loses his cool occasionally. Fully expect a 'twist' to happen when he loses his cool one too many times and finds himself in hospital after his heart goes.

Also thought everything plot-wise seemed a little too convenient. Wasn't as tense as I hoped it would be, apparently the show is super-violent and gory but you mostly see the aftermath of violent acts.

Mixed start, but the premise definitely intrigues me enough to keep following the show (LOL?).

• President_Weasel 27 Jan 2013 13:37:22 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I expected more from a show with Bacon and Purefoy in it, but I am willing to give it a few episodes.

So far the big surprise show for me has been Banshee, I knew nothing about it before I started watching, and I am loving it.
  • TarickStonefire 28 Jan 2013 13:44:56 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think I was hoping for something a bit less 'blockbuster-y' with all the clunky exposition but then it's the first episode so I got used to that. But the scene with Bacon and the cheeky/weaselly police guy that knows all his work was so corny, way to explain the backstory dude!

I thought the heart-beat effect was pretty corny too, like him clutching his chest after running around wasn't a big enough clue durrrr ;) That could get to be a very annoying handicap if it gets overused, or kept until the last moment like we've forgotten about it.

Overall I liked it though, did not expect what happened with the, um... rope, at the end. Hope it doesn't become a bit 'crazy follower of the week' with the formula, but works more like Homeland as an ongoing drama.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 28 Jan 2013 13:47:30 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @President_Weasel I am looking up Banshee. :)

Just started on The Continuum. Someone in the other thread summed it up best I think, a few years ago it would be pretty average but at the moment it's like an oasis in a barren landscape. Time travel cop show thing. Canadian. Helps us forget Fringe has finished, sort of.

• BinaryBob101 28 Jan 2013 18:11:31 21,947 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This was shit. It reminded me of that Charlie Brooker piss-take cop show, so fast did the clichés fly.

Shit.

Goose fat is sponsored by:

Lens Flare

• PrivateFloyd 4 Feb 2013 21:09:41 3,997 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I actually really enjoyed it.

Different strokes for different folks but me and the missus can't wait for the next episode.

to be fair, we love a bit of the cheese. Blue Bloods is one of our favourite tv series we watch together!!

Goat is hungry.....

• WrongShui 4 Feb 2013 21:12:44 6,574 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    I expected more from a show with Bacon and Purefoy in it, but I am willing to give it a few episodes.

So far the big surprise show for me has been Banshee, I knew nothing about it before I started watching, and I am loving it.
    Banshee is mad, the part where the bus flips over in the pilot for no discernible reason and then slides along the street for a mile had me laughing.
  • Deleted user 4 February 2013 22:12:38
    I'd probably like this show more if they didn't feel the need to have literal exposition every few minutes, lazily wrapped up in using someone else's literature to make points.

Killer McGoo: "something something Nevermore, here's another Poe line."
    Bacon: "NEVERMORE! DEATH IS FINAL, HE'S SAYING! EDGAR ALLEN POE!"

Well done on your GCSE level analysis there, FBI manhunter.

That's to say nothing about the massive gaps in logic.

"He's using the internet to round up serial killer acolytes!"
    "How?"
    "I dunno. Blogs and twitter and such. Trivial details, it doesn't matter. What matters is EDGAR ALLEN POE!"
  • Syrette 4 Feb 2013 22:17:36 41,792 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah the Poe stuff is cringe-worthy. Well over-done so far. Show needs to improve or I won't make it through the season.

Are you watching The Americans, gremmi? Now that's several degrees better, and they've only aired the pilot.

• Deleted user 4 February 2013 22:19:41
    Yeah. It didn't really grab me, for some reason, and I bloody love Cold War/KGB stuff. I'll keep at it, though. Hopefully it'll grow on me.
  • oceanmotion 27 Feb 2013 11:41:50 15,243 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been catching up on this and while it is tied together with silly circumstances to keep the plot moving at a ridiculous pace, I'm enjoying it. Bacon has some good moments like the last episode making them play off each other.

Poe stuff is a bit cringe worthy but not much in each episode. I do love Claire, haven't seen that actress in ages and nice that she isn't an annoying wreck which makes a nice change in a show like this. Has some brains at least.
  • Gambit1977 27 Feb 2013 11:45:32 9,538 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The 6th episode was a lot lot better than episode 5 which was embarrassing and cringeworthy. I just wish they'd take the young group out of it, they're so cliched, and annoying. Stick with Bacon et al.
  • RMXtreme 28 Feb 2013 22:23:42 3,145 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You haven't seen Natalie Zea in ages? Go watch Justified.
  • TarickStonefire 2 Mar 2013 22:10:24 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It's pretty corny, this. Veers dangerously close to Follower Of The Week formula, and I'm really rather fed up of the kidnap storyline now. It's becoming the 'Kim Out Of 24' of the show. And I don't mean in a 'Looks Good Bedraggled' way.

Purefoy's character just has it all worked out, it's getting a bit too pat and convenient and practically-perfect-in-every-way for him.

Enjoyable nonsense though! :)

• THFourteen 3 Mar 2013 00:09:59 31,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Totally agree with you.

I'll keep watching till the end but both myself and the mrs thought that this weeks episode was getting a bit ridiculous.

Almost expect jack Bauer to come in screaming WHERE'S MY FAMILY
  • THFourteen 19 Mar 2013 23:09:37 31,781 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thought tonight's episode was much better
  • Vice.Destroyer 3 Apr 2013 00:28:14 5,790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am surprised that there is so little activity in this thread. I am loving this. It's insane, violent gory and ridiculous. But oh, so fun. I agree that the way Jack Purefoy has everything worked out and every contingency has a contingency gets a little wearing, but the ever increasingly nutty followers that get their day in the sun make this all worthwhile. Anybody else loving it?
  • President_Weasel 3 Apr 2013 00:46:19 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I stopped watching around episode 3. Even Purefoy and Bacon couldn't save it for me; Natalie Zea might conceivably have, but she spent a lot of time being scared instead of being sexy.
    Are you saying I should try watching a few more episodes?
  • Gambit1977 3 Apr 2013 05:46:24 9,538 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's my guilty pleasure, although when I say pleasure I do sit shaking my head and laughing at it most of the time. Zea is barely in it these days, leaving that annoying little ginger imp as the main female unfortunately, but I do like the brunette in charge of the bacon.
  • Baihu1983 1 May 2013 10:55:56 2,820 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Finished in the UK. I enjoyed it but i think 15 episodes was a stretch and they could have knocked it down to 10.

Also they made the FBI too dumb at times but i still enjoyed it and will watch S2.
  • TheRealBadabing 1 May 2013 11:21:45 1,195 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Did I miss something really obvious about how he got away with shooting that cultist in cold blood? Obviously the ending made it seem irrelevant but I would have thought he would be behind bars at that point.
  • Baihu1983 1 May 2013 11:43:46 2,820 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    He killed an FBI agent so i doubt they would have gone hard on Hardy. But he should have buried him alive.
  • Whizzo 1 May 2013 11:45:53 42,757 posts
    Seen 9 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Did I miss something really obvious about how he got away with shooting that cultist in cold blood?
    That particular bloke's job was to kill Mike, Mike was the only witness, Mike most certainly wasn't going to drop Ryan in it.

I enjoyed the series, it was pretty daft for a large amount of it but I found it entertaining, not sure how they're going to spin it out for another season though.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Baihu1983 1 May 2013 11:56:55 2,820 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    What was the point of Parker giving Joe the book early on? Seemed to lead to nothing?

Edited by Baihu1983 at 11:57:15 01-05-2013
  • TarickStonefire 1 May 2013 14:34:49 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Well, that was, largely, utter bollocks, only just salvaged by the ending, a variation of which both the wife and I predicted weeks ago. Only thing we didn't nail was who would do those last two 'kills', not that it really mattered.

And I don't believe Joe's dead anyway.

So, Ryan to survive for the next series, Claire a goner, Emma to return in some form?

• TarickStonefire 1 May 2013 14:37:05 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Baihu1983 Yeah that seemed to point to her being in on it, at least that's how I originally took it, but that seemed to just be misdirection, or a badly judged attempt to show that she's really close to serial killers and therefore very good at her job, a bit like Ryan.

Or something.

The whole thing was a frustratingly predictable mess though. That I watched every week, wishing it wasn't as predictable and messy. And also wishing it wasn't quite as gruesomely violent towards mostly women.

Hey ho.

• Baihu1983 1 May 2013 15:34:30 2,820 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    About near the ending

Either poor editing or something else but during the fire you could hear Joe screaming but then they showed you a close up of his face and he was normal despite still be able to hear the scream. Maybe they just re used the earlier shot?

Also seemed pointless to kill off Parker

Edited by Baihu1983 at 16:19:15 01-05-2013
  • TarickStonefire 4 May 2013 11:14:28 2,611 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    About near the ending

Either poor editing or something else but during the fire you could hear Joe screaming but then they showed you a close up of his face and he was normal despite still be able to hear the scream. Maybe they just re used the earlier shot?

Also seemed pointless to kill off Parker
    It wasn't pointless to kill off Parker, it was predictable and served a purpose, to make the baddie into even more of a baddie just before the even-more-predictable confrontation.

Only bit I liked about the last ep was that everything Claire said about the plot being predictable and rubbish was absolutely bang-on, both the story Joe was writing, and the show itself. ;)

I also fully agree about the last shot of Joe. His face *clearly* wasn't contorted in pain and yet his cries of anguish were pretty full-on. And then they didn't find his identifiable body, they just found stuff that matches medical records, which to me says "he blatantly isn't dead, and had a bunch of medical records switched using yet another conveniently-placed Follower, along with the body of some dead schmoe Follower he'd already planted in the water.

Either that or it was really bad editing/scripting, if he's genuinely, truly dead.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous