The referendum on the United Kingdom's membership within the EU Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 01:25:33
    @mal

Completely with you on that coalition mandate to govern fiasco. Far-left coalition with right-of-centre is all wrong. The only political legitimacy for a coalition for either governing party was with left-of-centre.
  • RobTheBuilder 23 Jan 2013 01:33:50 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    The British public voting on anything to do with the EU just fills me with dread.
    Damn right.
    Oh good we have a chance for Sun readers who think the EU is only about immigrants and political correctness to ruin the country's economy.

A blatant attempt to bribe UKIP voters. Cameron knows he can't win without them
  • mal 23 Jan 2013 01:38:02 22,332 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Which party is far-left?

My point is we ended up needing a coalition because every man and his dog voted either tactically or not at all, because no one has a party they actually want to vote for any more. If 'none of the above' had been an option it would have won by a landslide, I reckon. So I don't believe any of them have a real mandate to govern (hence the relevance to a discussion about a referendum about giving even more people a mandate).

Personally, if I could I'd vote for us to get rid of Westminster Palace and let them run us from Brussels.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Deleted user 23 January 2013 01:53:01
    @mal

People did tactically vote to send a message. The major problem, was that at no point did any of the tactical voters believe far-left and right-of-centre could form a coalition and make good on contradictory election pledges.

The public got swindled by two parties. They needed to call a new general election and see where the chips fell. The libs knew their vote would have evaporated, and Tories knew that squeezing the lib vote would mean a re-elected labour party.

I don't like the leaders of any of the current parties, but knowing I can vote them out any day after their term, is a million times more preferable than EU entourages on the gravy train that can seemingly answer to no-one.
  • mal 23 Jan 2013 02:08:16 22,332 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I dunno. If they'd held a second election before the Libs had a chance to demonstrate how, uh, flexible they were then they might have picked up a few more votes once people realised they were actually scoring relatively decent numbers for a change. Although that wouldn't help, as they'd probably still not get enough votes for an outright win, and anyway, they're still themselved a coalition between the old SDP and and the old Liberals, that is, a bunch of authoritatian leftists, and a bunch of liberal centerists.

I won't pretend the current organisation of the EU is far from democratic, but so far they haven't all disgusted me the way the current top three/four UK parties have.

Edit: I meant 'organisation of the EU is anything like democratic', of course. Damn double negatives.

Edited by mal at 12:45:11 23-01-2013

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Dougs 23 Jan 2013 07:07:23 66,619 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sigh. This depresses me, it'll be one monumental fuck up. If it gets that far of course.
  • Shikasama 23 Jan 2013 07:19:40 6,603 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The very idea that the UK could extricate itself from the EU, when so much of our law, economy and diplomacy is dependent on it is utterly ridiculous.

We live in a world of interdependence people, you simply can not do this shit anymore.
  • Fab4 23 Jan 2013 07:51:53 5,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I live in The Netherlands but am a British Citizen, would I get a vote?
  • sport 23 Jan 2013 08:10:50 12,522 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fab4 wrote:
    If the result says OUT, you become an illegal alien.
  • Fab4 23 Jan 2013 08:14:04 5,975 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Fab4 wrote:
    If the result says OUT, you become an illegal alien.
    If that happens, fuck it, I'll just apply for a Dutch passport...ive been here long enough to get one automatically. And there is fuck all prospects for me back in Blighty.
  • LetsGo 23 Jan 2013 08:30:29 5,161 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We have paid hundreds of billions of pounds towards then'eu project' and all we've got is a big massive blob of bureaucray and countries in Europe going to pot.

Time to get out.
  • Clive_Dunn 23 Jan 2013 08:30:56 4,775 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does Vizzini just put random words together and hope they make sense ?
  • LeD 23 Jan 2013 08:39:27 6,208 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SambaApe wrote:
    my girlfriend is Lithuanian
    You should be ashamed of yourself. It's people like you who are ruining Britain's culture. Aren't british girls good enough for you?
  • cubbymoore 23 Jan 2013 08:41:05 36,468 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    SambaApe wrote:
    my girlfriend is Lithuanian
    You should be ashamed of yourself. It's people like you who are ruining Britain's culture. Aren't british girls good enough for you?
    Now that's an in out referendum.
  • boo 23 Jan 2013 08:42:54 11,703 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Far off, deep underground in the Ottocave, an alarm is sounding...

Just Another Lego Blog

• Rhythm 23 Jan 2013 08:46:32 2,462 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Far off, deep underground in the Ottocave, an alarm is sounding...
    I think his Twitter feed just exploded :-)
  • kalel 23 Jan 2013 08:46:39 86,261 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm a bit fan of Poles. They get shit done. None of this sucking teeth and lying about how long it takes to get a part, then not turning up when you say even though I've booked a day off work and then when they do turn up needing me to go to the shop every day to get more milk for their hourly gallon of tea.

Poles are all "you want me move wall? OK. I move wall". *BANG* - wall is moved. They're awesome.

So yeah, "in" for me.
  • jellyhead 23 Jan 2013 09:02:02 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I had a little tiff with my housemate over this this morning. He's a tory and staunch believer that the EU has given us Herpes and we should bail because we pay taxes to prop up corrupt countries while our glorious nation gets nothing in return.

I said i'd like to see some information that didn't have an agenda before i decide but as i'm a liberal type i'm more inclined to think we'd be fucked on our own.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Jeepers 23 Jan 2013 09:16:59 13,173 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cost of running EU: effectively fuck all in the scheme of things
    Value of having a second parliament you foist all your unpopular decisions on to: priceless.

I'm in.
  • TheSaint 23 Jan 2013 09:26:50 14,199 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Whatever you opinion you have to agree that this is a clever move by Cameron. The other parties either need to offer something similar of effectively come out and say that the British public can't be trusted to make the 'right' decision.
  • senso-ji 23 Jan 2013 09:32:05 5,789 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cameron is either making the biggest mistake of his career or will pull off a master plan; the referendum is after negotiations on changing the British relationship with the EU. This means that even if we vote no, we could still be keeping the benefits we have at the moment.
  • nickthegun 23 Jan 2013 09:32:07 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sid-Nice wrote:
    I remember the last referendum on whether we should join the Common Market on the 09/06/1975 1 day before my 18th birthday.
    Youre nearly 60?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• nickthegun 23 Jan 2013 09:33:32 58,782 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Whatever you opinion you have to agree that this is a clever move by Cameron. The other parties either need to offer something similar of effectively come out and say that the British public can't be trusted to make the 'right' decision.
    The hilarious thing is that they cant. Watching politicians dance around this fact is going to be absolutely glorious.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• LeD 23 Jan 2013 09:36:55 6,208 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm a bit fan of Poles. They get shit done. None of this sucking teeth and lying about how long it takes to get a part, then not turning up when you say even though I've booked a day off work and then when they do turn up needing me to go to the shop every day to get more milk for their hourly gallon of tea.

Poles are all "you want me move wall? OK. I move wall". *BANG* - wall is moved. They're awesome.

So yeah, "in" for me.
    But they're taking your jobs, those filthy honest hard-working foreigners! What do you say about that!
  • Deleted user 23 January 2013 09:37:39
    kalel wrote:

So yeah, "in" for me.
    This. From my deep understanding of America, I.e southpark, the poles seem to be our Mexicans. We would be lost without then.
  • Chopsen 23 Jan 2013 09:39:44 15,702 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    kalel wrote:

So yeah, "in" for me.
    But they're taking your jobs, those filthy honest hard-working foreigners! What do you say about that!
    I don't want a job moving walls. Sounds like hard work.
  • Bremenacht 23 Jan 2013 09:40:50 17,600 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:

So yeah, "in" for me.
    There are a large number of cack-handed-but-crafty Poles doing shit jobs and making a mint off this stereotype right now. Albanians are the new Poles, allegedly, for now.
  • DaM 23 Jan 2013 09:49:18 12,888 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    The British public voting on anything to do with the EU just fills me with dread.
    Me too. It's the first decent argument for Scottish independence, I think it will have repercussions there too. We don't have the same anti-European attitudes. The UKIP loses its deposit every time it stands - in the EU elections where they were second in England, they were even behind the Greens here.

I don't know exactly what they Euro-sceptics think we will gain. If you have a free trade agreement with the EU, as Norway, you have to implement the same work/social regulations "imposed" by Europe - you just don't have any say in them. Access to the market costs the Norwegians more per capita than it does the UK - it would cost us more to trade with our biggest market, with zero influence, little hope of outward investment from EU countries. I've heard some suggesting we could do more trade with other countries such as Brazil! What planet are they on?

Complete madness. I'm not really into Scottish independence, but I have no wish to live in a UK out of the EU, run by Tory Eurosceptics and the Daily Mail/Express.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last