The "fucked if I know" PC problem thread

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 20:39:42
    I seem to always have the strangest PC problems. Riddle me this one. The touchpad on my laptop stops working properly if I plug the power cable in. It doesn't turn off completely, it just doesn't respond very well - the cursor constantly sticks and oftentimes thinks multitouch is going on and starts zooming or scrolling rather than moving. If I plug a USB mouse in that works fine.

Nothing in power options that suggest why this is happening. Logic would suggest it's dodgy wiring, but I've ruled it out being hardware by virtue of it working absolutely fine in Linux on both battery and power.
  • ED209 22 Jan 2013 20:46:07 505 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /hijack

Using Chrome my javascript function only works without fail if I have the 'inspect element' / 'developer mode' window open. Otherwise it only works every second time ;_;

Works in IE everytime though.

Edited by ED209 at 20:47:20 22-01-2013

Samantha Janus?

• Deleted user 22 January 2013 20:46:34
    An electrical wire is touching the case somewhere creating a magnetic field that is disrupting the trackpad. Linux ignores magnets.
  • Red-Moose 22 Jan 2013 20:48:53 5,345 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My PC needs to reboot twice before actually moving past the POST. 2.5 years since I put it together, 2.5 years with this problem, nothing else seems wrong, but without fail, it POSTs three times and gets going on the third.
  • Deleted user 22 January 2013 20:51:28
    At the risk of derailing my own thread, my weirdest PC problem ever was the system needed to get Leisure Suit Larry 6 to work in SVGA with sound on my 486. Boot off a particular boot disk, run game, have it crash, reboot PC with same boot disk, run game, it works flawlessly. Always had to be that particular method to get it to work, and in all my years of tweaking config.sys and whatnot I've never been able to work out why.
  • ED209 22 Jan 2013 20:56:25 505 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red-Moose wrote:
    My PC needs to reboot twice before actually moving past the POST.... but without fail, it POSTs three times and gets going on the third.
    wtf? I'll take 30 quid on it each way at the 11.30 at Chepstow. Going good to soft.

Samantha Janus?

• Rusty_M 22 Jan 2013 21:04:03 4,352 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    aaah config.sys "achievement unlocked - it finally works"! I swear it was harder to run games then than it is to complete them now.

I have a similar issue where my PC sometimes won't POST, but hitting the reset button works every time.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• neilka 22 Jan 2013 21:04:57 14,942 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Try wiping some of the Cheeto dust off your fingers.
  • DaM 22 Jan 2013 21:05:43 12,611 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ED209 wrote:
    Red-Moose wrote:
    My PC needs to reboot twice before actually moving past the POST.... but without fail, it POSTs three times and gets going on the third.
    wtf? I'll take 30 quid on it each way at the 11.30 at Chepstow. Going good to soft.
    That's worse than my First Past the Post political joke that I deleted before posting it was so shit. :)
  • ED209 22 Jan 2013 21:44:19 505 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @DaM you wish it was that shit. like manure. from a horse.

(zing! I should do stand up.(Like a horse (that...stands. (in a stand. (omg. lol.))))

/compile error

Samantha Janus?

• docrob 22 Jan 2013 21:52:14 279 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Red-Moose wrote:
    My PC needs to reboot twice before actually moving past the POST. 2.5 years since I put it together, 2.5 years with this problem, nothing else seems wrong, but without fail, it POSTs three times and gets going on the third.
    Weird. I have a self-built PC with a very similar issue. Rarely boots first time, usually boots second time - once it's got there, it's completely rock solid.
  • mal 22 Jan 2013 22:05:01 21,979 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    meme wrote:
    I seem to always have the strangest PC problems. Riddle me this one. The touchpad on my laptop stops working properly if I plug the power cable in.
    Could be something to do with power management. The trackpad's probably a USB device, wired into an internal hub (if it's anything like mine) and for example, my machine can be configured to not supply power to externally plugged-in stuff if it's not on mains power.

Doesn't completely explain your problem, but I agree it's a software/configuration problem.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Fake_Blood 22 Jan 2013 22:20:46 3,836 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Is the socket you use for charging grounded?
  • Metalfish 22 Jan 2013 22:29:56 8,691 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme,

Not unheard of, my netbook with shitty cheap power cable does the same. It's interference created by it running too close to internal USB iirc.

Google touchpad and interference, you'll get loads of hits.

EDIT: Not that I have any idea what that means.

Edited by Metalfish at 22:37:42 22-01-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 22 Jan 2013 22:59:55 35,172 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Red-Moose wrote:
    Weird. I have a self-built PC with a very similar issue. Rarely boots first time, usually boots second time - once it's got there, it's completely rock solid.
    Capacitors on the motherboard could be on their way out - if you turn the PC on a few times, they have enough energy to finally boot. Take a look inside your PC if you can see bulged or cracked ones (at their tops).
  • Lamb 23 Jan 2013 02:14:24 467 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uninstall and reinstall your touchpad drivers or merely update them.
  • Clive_Dunn 23 Jan 2013 07:43:06 4,762 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Red-Moose wrote:
    Known issue on an Ip35 motherboard, try updating the bios.
  • SlackMaster 23 Jan 2013 08:15:07 3,132 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @meme It's probably a driver or a software issues then. Do you have a power management application and drivers? Try updating the power management drivers.

If it's something to do with ACPI it might be worth checking for a BIOS update.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• GuiltySpark 23 Jan 2013 09:14:13 6,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just bought the Roccat Kave surround sound headphones and I'm fucking stumped on how to get actual surround sound. I've plugged all the jacks in (analog), configured it in Windows AND my motherboard output into 5.1, and updated the software.

In the sound test, I can hear every speaker but the front and rear sound exactly the same, there's no positioning whatsoever.

I'm really not sure what to do next.

Get bent.

• SClaw 23 Jan 2013 09:24:03 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GuiltySpark That's just your imagination. Try turning around when you run the test and it'll sound completely different.
  • GuiltySpark 23 Jan 2013 09:36:14 6,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have no idea if you're joking.

Get bent.

• GuiltySpark 23 Jan 2013 09:48:14 6,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ordered a cheap soundcard, hopefully that will solve whatever the damn problem is.

Get bent.

• SClaw 23 Jan 2013 11:25:33 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GuiltySpark I was. But I'm going to pretend you tried it.

To be more helpful; surround sound is generally processed by the sound card. If your card does not have surround sound, even if your cans do it won't make any difference. I don't know that particular brand, but very few headsets have their own hardware surround driver by default - it's usually an expensive add-on. However, they are technically still surround... even if not surround out of the box.
  • SClaw 23 Jan 2013 11:27:15 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @GuiltySpark In fact that's it. I just looked it up -

System Requirements
    5.1 Soundcard for surround sound playback
    (or Stereo Soundcard for stereo sound playback)

No hardware driver, so no surround unless your card does it.
  • GuiltySpark 23 Jan 2013 11:49:57 6,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nah, my motherboard has 7.1 onboard surround. Where did you think I was putting all the jacks? : )

I assume the phrase "soundcard" in that description is synonymous with the motherboard surround and an actual soundcard, if you get me.

Ah well, if the soundcard I've ordered has its own drivers then I'm guessing that'll solve it.

Thanks btw.

Get bent.

• L_Franko Moderator 23 Jan 2013 11:53:01 9,689 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This could be just the thread I am looking for.

Currently got my pc running through my tv via a S-video cable which as I understand only displays in SD. To get it running in HD would I be needing to get a DVI to HDMI cable for the best and easiest result?
  • GuiltySpark 23 Jan 2013 11:55:54 6,281 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    L_Franko wrote:
    This could be just the thread I am looking for.

Currently got my pc running through my tv via a S-video cable which as I understand only displays in SD. To get it running in HD would I be needing to get a DVI to HDMI cable for the best and easiest result?
    S-video cable?! Jeez man that must look horrendous. And that does sound the best way, obviously check your outputs on your graphics card and look at your options.

Get bent.

• L_Franko Moderator 23 Jan 2013 12:02:31 9,689 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it isn't the best but it was the only cable I had to link it up with the other day. I have checked my graphics card output and it does have a port for DVI so I'll order a cable then. Cheers mate.
  • Rusty_M 23 Jan 2013 12:17:45 4,352 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Does your TV have DVI input?

Does your GPU have HDMI or mini HDMI output?

What will be playing the PC's sounds?

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• L_Franko Moderator 23 Jan 2013 12:34:21 9,689 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't think the tv has a DVI output but I have seen the DVI to HDMI cables so thought that would be my best option.
    I have external speakers for sound already that work good enough for me.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous