help with new pc

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Pinky_Bubblechunks 22 Jan 2013 17:12:53 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hi all

Just bought a new pc after weeks of deliberation which arrives Monday but have not had one for gaming for years ,present pc has an amd athlon 2400+ processor.....so some questions if you dont mind lads

Games i'm planning to play are the stalker series with mods,day_z ,red orchestra2 and more than likely arma 2 and looking forward to crysis3,arma3 and the one made by ex stalker devs etc .Is there any other games that are like the previous that ive missed along the same lines

Is installing day_z easy enough to do and can anyone apply to get on the whitelist servers or do you have to become known on eurogamer forums first

Im getting a few games free with the system ,is sleeping dogs or hitman worth a go or should i shove them on ebay,i will be keeping farcry3

Where is best place to sell ps3 and xbox 360 plus all games and pads ,ebay or anywhere else

My system comes with win 7 64 bit,will i be able to run older games on this system like hidden and dangerous 1+2 etc in compatibility mode perhaps

If there is anything else that i've missed or recommendations on web browser ,software please let me know

thanks

Edited by Pinky_Bubblechunks at 17:14:29 22-01-2013
  • pinebear 22 Jan 2013 17:55:21 8,565 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pinky_Bubblechunks wrote:
    If there is anything else that i've missed or recommendations on web browser ,software please let me know
    You might like to try the Smart Installer Pack tool. Tell it which selection of programs you want and it'll download and install them for you.

http://www.smartinstallerpack.com/

• SpaceDave3000 22 Jan 2013 18:01:30 78,262 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    99% of the stuff in that is shit.

Chrome, Picassa, Skype and an old version of utorrent are all you need from it.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Rusty_M 22 Jan 2013 19:46:15 4,706 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you have a wired xbox 360 pad, I'd keep it. It'll work on your PC, and many games are better with it.

The world is going mad. Me? I'm doing fine.

• Pinky_Bubblechunks 23 Jan 2013 08:32:09 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got the wireless 360 dongle and 360 pad so I will use them,do a lot of games now come optimised for gamepads

Just waiting for it to arrive Monday......can't wait tbh
  • Cannon_Fodder 23 Jan 2013 09:26:35 219 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    In terms of DayZ I would recommend downloading ARMA2 + Combined Ops (ideally using Steam) and then using DayZ Commander. It essentially acts as a server browser (which is much better than the in-game one) however it also tells you how many servers are running what version of DayZ (and the ARMA beta patch) so you can see what the current/most popular setup is. It also allows you to upgrade/degrade said beta patch and DayZ directly through the program.

Honestly before this appeared on the internet keeping with the updates was a major pain. It has some decent filter options also so you can pick through what servers you would like to join.

Oh, and it also allows you to download some of the other DayZ maps and specifically find servers running them. Almost forgot about that.

I've found most older games run on my W7 64 bit machine fine with a bit of tweaking. One which I have yet to get running though is Unreal Tournament. Runs fine singleplayer, MP doesn't work :(

In terms of software only download what you need. The only browser I ever recommend to people is Google Chrome.

Hitman is worth a go. Wasn't much of a fan of Sleeping Dogs.

Enjoy your new system!

Twitch TV: http://twitch.tv/drunk_geordie

3DS: 3196-3686-5181 (Cannon)
    Xbox Live: CannonFodderDOS
    PSN: DrunkenGeordie

• Pinky_Bubblechunks 29 Jan 2013 18:05:45 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ok I have my pc now and have a steam question.can I install games on both a SSD and normal HDD from the same steam account/install and if so how.....

I have been given free steam downloads for deux ex,hitman.,sleeping dogs,dirt and as these games are no use to me purely as they are not my thing can I gift them through steam,or just send the download code instead.

Is the easiest way of getting day_z just by using day_z commander
  • Cannon_Fodder 29 Jan 2013 18:16:34 219 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Pinky_Bubblechunks Yes, the easier way to get DayZ is through DayZ Commander. Make sure you have downloaded ARMA2 and Operation Arrowhead through steam and ensure you have opened both games at least once. Then open up DayZ Commander and click "Install / Update" on the top right. It's as simple as clicking the install button.

Make sure to update the ARMA2 Beta Patch through DayZ Commander also, it's on the same menu.

I believe the only game I don't have there is Sleeping Dogs. If you're willing to pass the download code on it would be appreciated. I've only played it on console, hopefully the PC version will be superior.

Edited by Cannon_Fodder at 18:17:32 29-01-2013

• Bealsy 30 Jan 2013 09:22:21 794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'd be tempted by either those darn tired dogs or Dirt, just got a PC myself after years in the console wilderness!

XBL: The Bealesatron
    PSN: Shimbomba
    NNID: TheBealesatron

• Pinky_Bubblechunks 30 Jan 2013 12:02:53 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Cannon_Fodder

Check pm !!
  • Bealsy 30 Jan 2013 12:09:35 794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Bubblechunks also you can install games anywhere for Steam, just point it in the right direction. If you own the game you can even copy the install folder from a friends PC onto your own, save downloading 10+gb.

• Pinky_Bubblechunks 30 Jan 2013 12:35:15 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bealsy
    This is the bit i dont understand about steam.

I have downloaded it to the default location on my "C drive" -120gb ssd , but am guessing that it will fill very quickly leaving no room for other jumk so can i also install games to my big "E drive"-2tb hhd,using the same steam account and if so how do i do this.

I have got tons of stuff to download but am swithering as not sure what i am doing.........help please

Edited by Pinky_Bubblechunks at 12:40:20 30-01-2013
  • Bealsy 30 Jan 2013 12:43:01 794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Bubblechunks

* *back anything up first in Steam :) **

1) Log out and exit Steam

2) Navigate to the folder where Steam is installed (by default: C:\Program Files\Steam\)

3) Delete all of the files and folders except the SteamApps folder and Steam.exe

4) Cut and paste your Steam folder to the new location, for example: D:\Games\Steam\

5) launch Steam

6) Steam will briefly update and then you will be ready to play

7) All future game content will be downloaded to the new folder D:\Games\Steam\Steamapps\

• Pinky_Bubblechunks 2 Feb 2013 15:16:35 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bealsy
    After spending forever downloading games I can say I ran both farcry3 and stalker call of prypiat on at 1900 by 1080 ,everything maxed out even though I have no idea what v sync,anti aliasing etc does etc and it ran like usain bolt,smooth as butter so I am chuffed.
    I was dreading putting in a game and getting a slideshow but it seems my system is up to the task.
    It takes about 5 seconds from hitting power button to desktop so I have to agree that a SSD is s good upgrade to get.
  • Pinky_Bubblechunks 2 Feb 2013 15:44:37 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Still have codes for deux ex and hitman and some other game then pm me if you want one of them,nothing better than free ....
  • Bealsy 3 Feb 2013 19:37:17 794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Bubblechunks good stuff. Far Cry 3 is a beast of a game, takes a long while to get through too!

• superdelphinus 3 Feb 2013 20:08:00 8,074 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You should have made sure your keyboard had the '?' symbol on it
  • Pinky_Bubblechunks 3 Feb 2013 21:01:55 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bealsy

Liking the game but continually skinning animals,harvesting plants could become a chore....just had a go on day_z,not sure about that but all good regardless

Edited by Pinky_Bubblechunks at 21:17:41 03-02-2013
  • Pinky_Bubblechunks 3 Feb 2013 21:06:32 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @superdelphinus

Does it have one ?
  • Bealsy 4 Feb 2013 11:07:27 794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Bubblechunks haven't tried Day Z yet, am waiting for the standalone release, whenever that eventually happens.

The skinning stops really once you've got the gun holsters, wallet etc maxed out. Very beautiful game though, if gruesome.

• Pinky_Bubblechunks 4 Feb 2013 11:55:52 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Bealsy
    I got it because arma combined ops was only 16.99 but I had heard so much about it
  • psychokitten Moderator 4 Feb 2013 12:03:35 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There's no EG server for DayZ, unless I missed a big change (it's been a while since I have played). It'll be someone else's server that the guys adopted, so joining here or being active here won't have any bearing on whitelist status. You'd just have to apply with whomever's server it is, details would be (I'm sure) in the DayZ thread.

DayZ is amazing, but not an easy game to jump in to... especially if you aren't used to Arma/Flashpoint etc type games, I imagine. Maybe play about in Arma2 for a bit, if you're finding DayZ a bit daunting.
  • Pinky_Bubblechunks 4 Feb 2013 12:36:40 13 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'm getting about collecting bits n bobs but I'm either bleeding to death ,but cannot for the life of me suss how to use bandages or anything I've collected,so I get to w point where I am maniacally pressing buttons while zombies give me a doing.....help
  • Cannon_Fodder 4 Feb 2013 12:40:05 219 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Open Gear -> Right Click Bandage > Bandage Myself

Job done. :)

• Bealsy 4 Feb 2013 12:49:25 794 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Pinky_Bubblechunks yeah I saw Arma for that on Steam, battlefield 3 keeping me busy though so can't really justify it

• psychokitten Moderator 4 Feb 2013 13:25:44 7,794 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pinky_Bubblechunks wrote:
    I'm getting about collecting bits n bobs but I'm either bleeding to death ,but cannot for the life of me suss how to use bandages or anything I've collected,so I get to w point where I am maniacally pressing buttons while zombies give me a doing.....help
    A good place to start :)
    http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/A_Beginners_Guide
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next