Atari files for bankruptcy

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Kafeen 21 Jan 2013 15:47:59 548 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21124214

The US operations of Atari have filed for bankruptcy protection.

The maker of the ground-breaking video game Pong is seeking to separate from its loss making French parent Atari SA.

Atari Inc, together with Atari Interactive Inc, Humongous Inc. and California US Holdings Inc. want to secure independent funding to develop digital and mobile games.

Atari said in December it was looking to raise cash and was talking to investors.

In a statement, the companies said, "with this move the US based Atari operations seek to separate from the structural financial encumbrances of their French parent holding company, Atari SA".

Atari SA, formerly known as Infogrames SA has been struggling financially for years.

The US operations of Atari have shifted their business from retail games to digital games in recent times and have become a growth engine for Atari SA.

"The Chapter 11 process constitutes the most strategic option for Atari's US operations as they look to preserve their inherent value and unlock revenue potential unrealized while under the control of Atari SA," the statement said.

Atari's Pong was an arcade game credited with helping kick-start the multi-billion pound video games industry but more recent titles include 'Centipede', 'Missile Command' and Rollercoaster Tycoon'.

Neither Atari SA or Atari Inc. were available for comment.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 15:49:19 56,081 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not hugely surprising since the last atari product I bought was a pac-man t-shirt.

And before that a space invaders t-shirt.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Blerk Moderator 21 Jan 2013 15:50:45 48,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This Atari really isn't the "maker of the ground-breaking video game Pong".
  • jellyhead 21 Jan 2013 15:52:13 24,350 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, this is not the Atari we used to know and love.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 15:55:05 56,081 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I might get the Jagwaaaar out of the loft and give them a tempest salute.

Edited by nickthegun at 16:39:04 21-01-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Blerk Moderator 21 Jan 2013 15:57:36 48,224 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like how the report above lists Centipede and Missile Command as 'more recent' titles. :D
  • Cappy 21 Jan 2013 16:38:22 11,707 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Atari are the forerunner of Sega.

Such a fall due to boneheaded decision making on a management level sabotaging the efforts of fantastic programmers, engineers and designers, eventually the talent bales out and all you're left with is an empty shell living off faded past glories.

It's a pity, we really needed somebody to fill those shoes, Atari's classic output was incredibly varied and creative, every game had some quirk that made them stand out. You'll probably never get another game featuring a boy delivering papers, I was hoping it would be a side game in Bully, but no such luck.

If only they'd left the pot smoking freaks and weirdos alone to just concentrate on making games.
  • Alastair 21 Jan 2013 16:41:47 15,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I like how the report above lists Centipede and Missile Command as 'more recent' titles. :D
    I had a version of Centipede on the Dragon 32, and my bro and I typed in a version of Missile Command from a magazine - it was a bit shit. Atari deserve to go down!

Not as nice as I used to be

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 16:44:42
    The Atari brand still gives me a warm feeling despite all the mediocrity over the last few years.

I actually quite liked the fact that they released updates of their classic titles on XBLA. Unfortunately the quality of them wasnt very good. They should have been making things like Geometry Wars 2.
  • President_Weasel 21 Jan 2013 16:45:41 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Should read "Last vestiges of Atari file for bankruptcy for the umpteenth time" surely?

"Atari Inc of America are trying to wriggle out from under their parent company Atari (Infogrames Who?) of France, who are deeply financially buggered (still, again) so they can continue to make modest profits mining old Atari properties to make uninspiring games with Zynga and the like."

Seriously, has Infogratari ever made any money ever?
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 17:21:28 41,910 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Atari have my favourite logo.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Trowel 21 Jan 2013 17:23:39 16,890 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Atari have my favourite logo.
    That's the problem I guess - it's basically all they have.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next