Under The Dome Page 8

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Darren 3 Sep 2013 14:41:20 8,320 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Goodfella wrote:
    Does anyone else here burst out laughing every time they have a "the pink stars are falling" seizure?
    Not quite but close...

So who is the "Monarch that must be crowned" then and why would the dome ask four kids to stab Big Jim to death? He's obviously a bad guy, killing off anyone who gets in his way, but what purpose would his death serve? Kind of wish I'd read the book now but I've heard that this series veers off in a different direction and that the ending is not the same.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Deleted user 3 September 2013 15:08:25
    I've given up with this show now. It's just becoming terrible on every level. Like, Zero Hour level bad.
  • YenRug 3 Sep 2013 15:48:36 1,753 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This series only really followed the book for about the first 2-3 episodes, even then there were some changes, it's now gone off in other directions entirely.

As for Zero Hour, that did get better as the series went on, once the cast got into their roles a bit more; the first few eps were absolutely awful, just the premise keeping my interest.
  • Deleted user 3 September 2013 16:15:58
    Did it actually go on? I thought ABC cancelled it after episode 3. Who revived it?
  • YenRug 3 Sep 2013 16:33:32 1,753 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @meme It was only ever a 13-ep mini-series, it was fully filmed before airing; I think ABC aired more than 3 eps, in the end, but it ended up being shown on a Fox channel in Spain with those remaining eps showing up in torrents. If you're feeling brave, they are fully in English without subtitles; I'm presuming that they had subtitles that you had to turn on, rather than displayed by default.
  • Whizzo 3 Sep 2013 17:45:10 42,760 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just finished the latest episode and I think I've realised the secret of the show: it's written by the manatees that write Family Guy but with a different set of balls.

It's just random shit every episode.

This space left intentionally blank.

• ED209 3 Sep 2013 17:54:04 505 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @YenRug I don't like your presumptions about the subtitles. I don't like them at all.

Samantha Janus?

• Deleted user 3 September 2013 17:58:28
    Whizzo wrote:
    Just finished the latest episode and I think I've realised the secret of the show: it's written by the manatees that write Family Guy but with a different set of balls.

It's just random shit every episode.
    It seems almost like they're trying to veer so hard away from the book that they're using any old shit even if it's total nonsense.
  • YenRug 3 Sep 2013 19:25:20 1,753 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ED209 It's a reasonable assumption, the videos are in English and there are no subtitles visible. There are two possible alternatives that come to mind, they had an alternative soundtrack/channel in Spanish which wasn't captured, or someone removed the subtitles without leaving a single artifact to indicate they were originally there. I think I know which presumption is the more likely one.
  • ED209 4 Sep 2013 08:59:00 505 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @YenRug Or it could have been a codec malfunction, or an AI evisceration. But you don't know man. You. Don't. Know. If we go on bandying baseless presumptions about where does it leave us? Russia? I don't want to go to Russia. I CANT. I WON'T.

Samantha Janus?

• Tonka 4 Sep 2013 09:19:51 19,840 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm still really curious to find out what the dome is and what it wants. I'm starting to fear we will never get an answer though.

I also like that the story moves about at a fair clip. It's not Walking Dead six episodes in a farmhouse. Characters are introduced and killed off faster than LOST would lose track of its own plot.

I also think there are a fair few interesting plot devices. Like why did the dome get angry and why did it stop. Was it Julia or was it Junior?

But poor musical score, editing and acting kills a lot of the suspension.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• YenRug 4 Sep 2013 10:14:19 1,753 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @ED209 I'm sorry, but your flight's already booked and the tickets are in the post.
  • Darren 4 Sep 2013 14:02:42 8,320 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I also think there are a fair few interesting plot devices. Like why did the dome get angry and why did it stop. Was it Julia or was it Junior?
    Definitely Julia IMO. She has touched the Dome and saw a second Joe even though the real one was right next to her. When the other woman from the radio station touched it she was electrocuted. Clearly, the dome has some connection with Julia even if she isn't one of the Four that corresponded to the handprints on the dome.

I've not read the book as I said previously but I did wonder if the dome was distinguishing between people who are good/innocent and those that are bad. Then we found out psycho-boy Junior was one of the Four so that discounted that theory as he has shot someone in the back (granted that guy was no saint). Also, Big Jim, who the Four apparently have to kill, is no angel either, in fact, he is the closest thing to being evil so I can understand why he needs to be killed but not why the dome would want it. Unless evil/bad people affects its karma or something!

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 3 GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Razz 10 Sep 2013 17:57:56 59,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    This is the worst show on the face of the planet but it's so addicting

Just watched the latest episode, quite tense, you just know that none of this shit is going to get resolved in the next episode(last of the season?). We'll be left with a cliffhanger with a hook so long and sharp it'll pierce bone.

P.S Linda (the cop) is the worst fucking police officer on the face of the planet. Bloody moron.

Edited by Razz at 18:10:21 10-09-2013

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• brokenkey 10 Sep 2013 20:15:38 6,802 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Razz the troll...

3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

• Razz 10 Sep 2013 21:20:55 59,994 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :-D How the hell did that "addicting" bollox start anyway?

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Gunzberg 10 Sep 2013 23:22:20 929 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's a terribly acted show with a bizarre plot but I am still watching it.

WHY ?

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• oceanmotion 10 Sep 2013 23:29:23 15,243 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Was that cigarette moment a plot point or the worst chill out moment ever?
  • L0cky 10 Sep 2013 23:45:00 1,442 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really did not understand that thing with the cigarette.

Angie... you started smoking??

IT'S A TRAP!
  • L0cky 10 Sep 2013 23:48:57 1,442 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • Tonka 11 Sep 2013 06:33:41 19,840 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I agreee a 100% with Razz. I can't stop watching it. I think it's the fact that a lot of stuff happens every episode.

WRT the cigarette thing it was completely bizarre.

They could try to rationalize it by saying that Barbie is the only one with cigarettes left (he did get two packs for the sole purpose of bartering) BUT

This isn't common knowledge
    AND
    Are they really out of cigarettes

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• DFawkes 11 Sep 2013 09:28:35 22,059 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've only started watching this on 5, and I'm finding it sort of enjoyable enough, but it's so slow. Almost nothing has happened in the first few weeks! My Dad watched it for the first time, and caught up easily because nothing major has happened that wasn't clear from what was going on. There was a couple of smaller things but that's all.

I've seen a couple of people mention it moves fast though. I take it that the pace picks up as time goes by?

I'd kick the living daylights out of the producers of Tipping Point - Ghandi

• Whizzo 17 Sep 2013 09:41:48 42,760 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow the season finale was amazingly shit!

An awful show and I think everyone involved in it should be ashamed of themselves.

• DFawkes 17 Sep 2013 09:44:50 22,059 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It still doesn't seem that bad to me. Not great either, but watchable enough. Still UK pace here, so maybe it gets worse. Nothing seems terrible, though it never really seems to strive to push itself to be a better show.

Edited by DFawkes at 09:45:51 17-09-2013

• Whizzo 17 Sep 2013 10:06:34 42,760 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You're still watching on 5 aren't you? The writing gets worse and worse as the show progresses and the way Linda turns from seemingly competent police officer to mindless lackey is probably the best example of that.

Dean Norris obviously wanted to give his acting a bit of a rest after Breaking Bad so decided to do this.

• DFawkes 17 Sep 2013 10:20:15 22,059 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yep, watching it classic style, on television as it's transmitted :) Not fussy enough to use other means.

As much as I'm liking it so far, I'm already fed up of Junior. Ooh, I'm crazy! Nah, I'll feign being normal. Wait, I'M CRAZY! Jokes, normal. Normal, or maybe actually crazy again! And now normal. He's too predictably unpredictable and it's already boring. Not that I want to see the actor out of a job because I'm sure he's doing what he can with the script, but I'd rather see his character exit the show.

I'm interested to see where they take Big Jim, but I fear it's just generic power hungry man. And I like the Dome stuff. It's all still nice and mysterious and I would like to know what's behind it all (which, with Season 2 on the way, I'm guessing didn't happen in the finale).

I'll keep watching for now. That said, they put something else remotely enjoyable on another channel at the same time and I'd jut give up on it.

Edited by DFawkes at 10:21:32 17-09-2013

• Darren 17 Sep 2013 13:11:29 8,320 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still enjoying this series but the finale was a bit disappointing to say the least. I was at least hoping for a shock or surprise revelation of some kind but, nope, nothing. At least we did actually learn something about the dome in this episode but it raised more questions than it answered (such as why the dome has been communicating.so cryptically if it could simply manifest a person and have them talk in English! I'm still not clear on the monarch must be crowned thing either even if we now know the monarch is Julia, who apparently thinks looking after the egg means dropping in the lake. I think I may have missed something there though)

Also, the dome stated that it was protecting the people of Chester's Mill but from what? Is the rest of the world on the verge of some kind of apocalypse and the egg sent to ensure some of humanity survives it? As is typical of series like this, this super-intelligence never seems to want to reveal everything; an obvious contrivance to keep people watching it.

Edited by Darren at 13:14:59 17-09-2013

• Megapocalypse 17 Sep 2013 21:46:10 5,228 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe this will tie into the rumoured Stand movie and it's Captain Trips taking a tour of the outside world.

Although the world outside seems rather resilient at the moment. Should everything in the area outside the dome still be smoking from the bomb? Looks like the artists forgot that happened.

Edited by Megapocalypse at 21:48:54 17-09-2013
  • Page

of 9 First / Last