Under The Dome Page 7

• Page

of 12 First / Last

• neilka 19 Aug 2013 11:32:56 16,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Barbie is okay, and Big Hank does his best with what he's given. Everyone else should be ashamed.

Lastly, I am gay, disabled, and a liberal.

• Tonka 19 Aug 2013 11:47:12 20,546 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big Jim isn't it? I'm watching Breaking Bad in tandem and it's jarring how different his performance is between the two.

It's sad that it's so poorly directed because I like how rounded the characters are. There's no clear cut good or bad character (well, maybe the Sheriff is all good). But since it's all so sloppily handled it disappears in the hamminess.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tonka 19 Aug 2013 11:51:10 20,546 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ah, I'm so shit at names I honestly didn't know it was Hank in BB.

• Razz 21 Aug 2013 00:10:11 61,279 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Its a nice switcharoo seeing ad he's responsible for meth production in this show!

This show is so shit, but the story progression is keeping me coming back for more!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• YenRug 21 Aug 2013 23:50:02 2,246 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My one question: in the light of it being confirmed that Stephen King is apparently writing the S2 season opener, who actually came up with the completely different raison d'Ítre for the dome in this version, was it King himself, or one of the showrunners?
  • Deleted user 21 August 2013 23:53:48
    Showrunners, at a guess. That's something they'd be heavily promoting otherwise, but in interviews King's basically gone "I like what they're doing with it".
  • Scimarad 22 Aug 2013 07:42:34 8,551 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, he also said he liked what they were doing with the new ending for 'The Mist'...
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Aug 2013 07:45:24 24,562 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I love the ending to the mist! (film, not read book)

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Scimarad 22 Aug 2013 08:09:19 8,551 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hated it. The novella had a more ambiguous ending which I found more disturbing than the "Let's beat the audience over the head with a load of contrived, unfortunate events" ending that the film had. So annoying as it was a pretty damned effective version of one of my favourite king stories up until that point. Possibly even more annoying is the fact that if you say you didn't like it people make this assumption that you wanted a happy ending...
  • CosmicFuzz 22 Aug 2013 08:34:00 24,562 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh yeah I can imagine people thinking that. I'll have to read the book to see how it compares.

Everyone knows Jack Thompson - but how did he become the game-blaming activist he is today? Read Part One of my new mini-series!

• Tonka 2 Sep 2013 12:30:47 20,546 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's those damn youngsters ruining it. They completely ham up every scene they're in and they bring everyone else down with them.

I feel sorry for Natalie Zea from Justified being trapped in this mess. She did bring some much needed spice to it though. Too bad it dived head first into the "It has been nine days so now it's Mad Max innit lol" pool without so much as a second thought.

But. Much like pizza I put the show in the even when it's bad it's OK section. For some weird reason I'm happy to go along for the ride.

• captain_markyboy 2 Sep 2013 14:05:34 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I haven't watched this, what's so bad about it? It sounds like you all think its crap, yet you still watch it?
    What's that all about?
  • L0cky 2 Sep 2013 14:27:24 1,532 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's about a big load of crap, that you somehow still want to watch :p

Just watch the first episode. If you despise it, yet have this strange urge to see what happened next... then it's the show for you!
  • captain_markyboy 2 Sep 2013 14:32:16 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've read the book, thought it was good, but not sure i can be bothered to watch it after reading through some of this thread.....
  • captain_markyboy 2 Sep 2013 14:33:50 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Which sort of negates the need to watch it to see what happen next I suppose. I do, because I read the book.
    If the acting is bad, probably no point.
  • L0cky 2 Sep 2013 14:35:23 1,532 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you have read and liked the book, I doubt you will be able to overlook the - how shall we say - shortcomings of the tv series.

I haven't read the book.
  • captain_markyboy 2 Sep 2013 14:38:03 250 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ok cheers. Think I'll give it a miss.
  • Tonka 2 Sep 2013 15:14:25 20,546 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a weird one. It's full of potential but has some really poor scripting, acting, production etc

This from the hands of Spielberg with actors that have been great in other shows.

It's like that dinosaur show he produced a while back. Just plain weird.

How can this exist in the same universe as Justified, the wire, breaking bad etc?

Even LOST was much better in all departments except scripting.

• captainrentboy 2 Sep 2013 21:45:50 1,003 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Get out of my way, I'm gonna kill him, I'm gonna kill him"
    The 90lb sister repeatedly blocks his pathetic attempts to get past her and kill someone that's not even in the same scene, all whilst they both stand in a massive wide open empty street.

Classic Under the Dome! :)
  • captainrentboy 3 Sep 2013 08:16:56 1,003 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Goodfella
    As we found out later, he heroically runs straight into a mighty headlock and flaps around in Junior's arms like a big floppy Salmon.† :)
  • Darren 3 Sep 2013 13:58:23 8,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's something a little bit soap-operaish about this series which I only found out about last week but loved the pilot of so much that I downloaded and watched all ten episodes over two days! I've just watched episode 11 this morning.

The concept is brilliant and the series initially seemed a bit Twin Peaks-ish with a dash of Lost to boot, what the weird preacher and the psycho Junior stuff, but then seemed to lean more towards a soap opera with supernatural elements and a problem of the week to solve (hunger, infections, drought, power supply, etc). It has Hank in it from Breaking Bad so that's one reason to watch it right there but I must confess that I'm watching more because of Barbie. He's just so damn dreamy with those eyes and macho good looks. Swoon. Shame about the name! If they kill him off then I'm sure I'd stop watching it...

Seriously though, it's based on a Stephen King book and so far it is revealing enough about the dome to keep the series interesting, although that is understandably taking a backseat to the drama going on in Chester's Mill with people struggling for resources and so on. It's a really cool idea but the execution isn't always great or believeable. For example, why would the US military try to nuke the dome in the first place. I recall some mention of it upsetting the flight of butterflies but that seemed an absurd justification for wiping out thousands of people. And since that one desolate scene with a nuked wasteland, the following episodes show normal countryside surrounding the dome as if the producers have forgotten they nuked it only a few episodes ago. The dome is 10 miles in diameter so any nuke would annihilate everything surrounding the dome not just one side. Also, why is that kids have to be the ones that know everything that's going on? Maybe that's part of the original story, I don't know as I've never read it.

Ah, I'm nit-picking I guess. This is certainly one of the most interesting new series I've watched and I've heard that it has been renewed for a second season so at least there's plenty more to come. I just hope the producers/writers can keep the viewers interested by revealing enough new things about the dome without interest waning. Also, I'm not sure quite how long they can drag out the survival storyline before that too gets stale. The fact that everyone is inside the dome means that there's a limited number of locations and people so that could hinder the series long term prospects. Chester's Mill isn't quite the intriguing, mysterious place that the island was in Lost.

Edited by Darren at 14:27:20 03-09-2013

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Whizzo 3 Sep 2013 14:05:59 43,151 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You're either being extremely sarcastic or you really need to watch a lot better TV in future.

The show is utter garbage, the premise is thin and it's being stretched thinner as it progresses. It has awful writing and some terrible acting as well.

How this got renewed is a bigger mystery than the dome.

And it wasn't a nuke it was a MOAB, the biggest non-nuclear weapon the US has, why the outside world hasn't returned after dropping it is another example of the shoddy writing.

Edited by Whizzo at 14:06:45 03-09-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• Darren 3 Sep 2013 14:13:13 8,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    I love the ending to the mist! (film, not read book)
    Me too. I don't think I've ever been so depressed or shocked at a movie's ending as that one. Unforgettable IMO.

PS3, PS4, PS Vita, Wii U, Xbox One, PC (Intel Core i7-4770K, 16 GB, 4 GB EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 SC, Windows 8.1 Pro), iPad 4, iPad mini with Retina Display.

• Darren 3 Sep 2013 14:26:15 8,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Whizzo - Well I like it. As I said it has a soap opera element as far as the characters go (kind of like Lost but without the flashbacks) and I'm sure people don't watch Eastenders and Coronation Street because they're quality TV. ;)

There's something about the premise that keeps me watching it every week (well, every week from now on, now that I've caught up). It has an interesting premise, in the same way that Revolution and Flash Forward did, even though they weren't a great shows either. They somehow kept me watching every week and I enjoyed both despite their flaws. This series seems cut from the same mould, perhaps a little more intriguing because of the dome itself. It's disposable sci-fi hookum but that's no bad thing as long as it keeps me watching it to find out what happens next. Bad acting and mediocre dialogue I can overlook if a series has a hook that keeps me watching every week.

• Darren 3 Sep 2013 14:35:07 8,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:And it wasn't a nuke it was a MOAB, the biggest non-nuclear weapon the US has, why the outside world hasn't returned after dropping it is another example of the shoddy writing.
    Ah right, I must have missed that as I'm hearing-impaired and I'm watching the series without subtitles from downloads. I initially thought that no-one had returned because of the radiation and assumed the dome was protecting the people inside from the heat and exposure (since it lets air in for them to breath).

So we're going to get a future episode where they attempt to nuke the dome then?

• Page

of 12 First / Last