Typecasting Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• OptimusPube 21 Jan 2013 02:25:54 3,071 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Or whatever you call it.

Just watching the Road to Perdition. An excellent film. Hanks is great. Hanks can do just about anything and he fits, right? He's pretty much believable in any role. You never look at Hanks in a film and think 'WTF is Forrest Gump doing there???!' do you?

Yet here's Daniel Craig. He sticks out like a sore thumb. I know he's great in this film, but he's made James Bond so very much his own since the last time I watched it that I cannot 'see' his character properly. How did that happen? I hope it wears off.
    Watch him in Defiance, he's excellent in that and a world away from 007.

You better watch out.
    You better beware.
    Albert said E=MC˛

• Tonka 21 Jan 2013 09:06:27 20,541 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Woody Harrelson is one of the few actors left in the entire world.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Deleted user 21 January 2013 09:11:46
    Dirtbox wrote:
    I love it when the typically good guys are cast as bad guys. Robin Williams as a nutter in One Hour Photo was sublime, not that the movie was that good.

Gary Oldman is about the only actor that I can think of who has never been typecast, he's done everything.
    There are a few, Tom Hardy seems to have managed it so far, Christian Bale, DDL.

Oldman is better than all of them at it though.
  • ED209 21 Jan 2013 09:19:42 505 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Kiefer Sutherland will always be Jack Bauer.
    Etc.
    Either you've never seen Dark City or ...
    /slumps over steering wheel.

Samantha Janus?

• kalel 21 Jan 2013 09:32:39 87,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Feel like people have only been watching films from the last ten years or something.

How about Laurence Olivier? Peter O' Toole? John Hurt? Charles Laughton? Omar Sharif? Ben Kingsley? ALEC FUCKING GUINNESS??

Thread could do with some women as well. Maryl Streep is probably the lease typecast actor of recent times for my money (and acts Woody Harrelson off the plannet ffs).
  • Bremenacht 21 Jan 2013 09:32:51 18,438 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    OptimusPube wrote:
    Bremenacht wrote:
    Or whatever you call it.

Just watching the Road to Perdition. An excellent film. Hanks is great. Hanks can do just about anything and he fits, right? He's pretty much believable in any role. You never look at Hanks in a film and think 'WTF is Forrest Gump doing there???!' do you?

Yet here's Daniel Craig. He sticks out like a sore thumb. I know he's great in this film, but he's made James Bond so very much his own since the last time I watched it that I cannot 'see' his character properly. How did that happen? I hope it wears off.
    Watch him in Defiance, he's excellent in that and a world away from 007.
    I did. It was good. He was good, as was the hairy guy from x-men. At no point in Defiance did I think 'James Bond', yet in the Road to Perdition he seemed so out of place. Maybe it was the American accent.
  • ED209 21 Jan 2013 09:33:34 505 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And Although Bruce Willis is often in similar parts, I'd say his husband character in Death Becomes Her was quite different from John D'iehard

Samantha Janus?

• Bremenacht 21 Jan 2013 09:35:42 18,438 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    meme wrote:
    Khanivor wrote:
    I want to see Oldman in a romantic comedy.
    What about Oldman playing a dwarf in a romantic comedy? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0316768/
    Prick up your Ears?.
  • ED209 21 Jan 2013 09:40:58 505 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Actually to be controversial is Meryl Streep that different in any movie? but Woody, consider:
    Natural Born Killers
    Indecent Proposal
    Kingpin
    Cheers

To be honest I've never actually seen NBK, but from What I know I'm sure he's quite different from the loveable Woody in Cheers.

Samantha Janus?

• kalel 21 Jan 2013 09:41:58 87,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wow you're so controversial. You must have seen lots of Meryl Streep films.
  • kalel 21 Jan 2013 09:44:21 87,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NBK is a terrible example incidentally, unless you like your scenery well chewed.

Woody can act yeah, and in something like Larry Flint he shows he has a bit of range, but to say he's the greatest in Hollywood is ridiculous.

As for Streep, I'm actually struggling to think of two roles of hers that are even similar.
  • kalel 21 Jan 2013 09:45:43 87,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm actually having a good chuckle at that list. Can't believe things like Indecent Proposal and Kingpin are being brought up in a conversation about quality acting. This is really bringing out the film snob in me...
  • ED209 21 Jan 2013 09:46:08 505 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel Try again, this time with feeling, also a counter- argument might help.

actually you have backed it up now. i shall continue this debate once I've got a plausible spreadsheet open for Alt-Tabbing.

Edited by ED209 at 09:56:32 21-01-2013

Samantha Janus?

• kalel 21 Jan 2013 09:48:42 87,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm actually thinking that guy who used to be in Eastenders but is now in Holby City might be the greatest actor of our time. It's either him or Johnny Vegas, who is very different in that advert with the monkey to his role in Benidorm.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 09:49:16 60,118 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Malcolm McDowell: After a promising start to his career is now typecast as a man who says 'I'll do it' the second he picks up the phone.

EDIT: Who the hell is Malcolm McDonald? Stupid phone.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:56:23 21-01-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 09:51:16 28,240 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    One of the best natural goal scorers the world has ever seen though.

Edited by Deckard1 at 09:59:56 21-01-2013
  • Tonka 21 Jan 2013 09:53:17 20,541 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    NBK is a terrible example incidentally, unless you like your scenery well chewed.

Woody can act yeah, and in something like Larry Flint he shows he has a bit of range, but to say he's the greatest in Hollywood is ridiculous.

As for Streep, I'm actually struggling to think of two roles of hers that are even similar.
    Streep is better, you are right.

But I still think Harrelson is the best male actor right now. I can't think of another actor that can genuinely scare me in some roles and then be the goofiest little puppy in others.

Most actors do one thing great. Gary Oldman used to be completely different in every role. Then he did Leon and got stuck in that character for ages. (He's out of that hole now thankfully)

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 09:58:52 60,118 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Woody Harrelson plays the same person in almost every film hes in; The Sarcastic Hardass.

• kalel 21 Jan 2013 10:01:29 87,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think Harrelson is pretty good and has a decent range, but I don't think he has that original a presence or the total command of the screen to really be considered a great.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman would be my pick for current top male actor, and has that range from scary (Happiness, Doubt, The Master) to goofy and lovable (Boogie Nights), plus that completely distinctive screen presence that puts him up in the top tier with the real giants.
  • nickthegun 21 Jan 2013 10:03:42 60,118 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    he is the only decent thing in the *counts on fingers* third Mission Impossible movie.

• kalel 21 Jan 2013 10:05:45 87,904 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haha, I've just noticed Bruce Willis has been mentioned. Dear oh dear...
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 10:07:14
    Harrelson is the best male actor right now?

He has creepy funny guy and intense, slightly creepy angry guy and Woody as his entire repertoire. Very watchable but you need to see more film and TV if you think that's as good as it gets.
  • Deleted user 21 January 2013 10:08:20
    Mark Wahlberg is an amazing actor with great range and charisma.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 10:16:11 44,411 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Joseph Gordon Levitt is doing good things. Still young though.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ED209 21 Jan 2013 10:16:45 505 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kalel You do realise that you're coming across as a bit of Simon Quinlank. Anyway we're looking at things from a different perspective. My tolerance limit for anything overly 'intellectual' in movies is set at 'Scheiss dem fenster'.

Samantha Janus?

• dirtbox28k 21 Jan 2013 10:18:13 29 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Feel like people have only been watching films from the last ten years or something.

How about Laurence Olivier? Peter O' Toole? John Hurt? Charles Laughton? Omar Sharif? Ben Kingsley? ALEC FUCKING GUINNESS??

Thread could do with some women as well. Maryl Streep is probably the lease typecast actor of recent times for my money (and acts Woody Harrelson off the plannet ffs).
    I got the impression it was a contemporary actor thread. You missed James Stewart.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 Jan 2013 10:23:28 14,770 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Danny fuckin Dyer :)
    he has done Pinter you know...

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deckard1 21 Jan 2013 10:38:23 28,240 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ryan Gosling should also be applauded for putting the sexy back into autism.
  • LeoliansBro 21 Jan 2013 10:41:48 44,411 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good shout with Philip Seymour Hoffman as well, I'd have dropped him in the 'crumpled scruff' box for all his range of acting, but then I saw Capote.

Charlize Theron has done some good work on becoming more than a pair of boobs too.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 5 First / Last