MacGameStore/Steam vs GOG.com (or, DRM vs price)

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • TarickStonefire 20 Jan 2013 16:40:18 3,128 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Was thinking about giving Witcher 2 Enhanced a go on my new iMac. It's about 14 on Steam, GOG.com and the Mac App Store, but about 7 on MacGameStore, which is a newish Steam-like service run by the website of the same name (which has been around a while I think).

It requires use of their app to install and I think run games you download from them. Ideologically I'm not a fan of that, even with Steam, so I don't really want another one. If I was going to get it at 14 I'd get it from GOG because there's no DRM there. But half the price from the new guys.

Then there's the question of which method gives the original devs the largest cut.* Anyone know?

* Yes, if I'm that worried about that I'd pay the higher price. Just wondering if it makes a difference. When a store cuts the price of a game, do they need the publishers permission?

Edited by TarickStonefire at 16:42:22 20-01-2013

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 18:10:48
    Any purchase of TW2 from any site can be registered on GOG.com - http://www.gog.com/witcher2/backup

As for dev cuts, that would almost certainly be GOG, seeing as it's technically the same company as the devs.
  • TarickStonefire 20 Jan 2013 18:13:08 3,128 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wow, glad I asked - thanks. Reckon I can skip 1 and go straight to 2? I heard better things about 2, and I can follow a plot and drink up backstory no problem ;)

• Deleted user 20 January 2013 18:40:17
    Yeah, there's not a great deal to catch up on, really. It's all covered by the manuals and in-game crap anyway.
  • dominalien 20 Jan 2013 18:42:02 6,967 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Just make sure your iMac can run W2; it has stupidly high system requirements on OS X.

PSN: DonOsito

• TarickStonefire 20 Jan 2013 18:46:08 3,128 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @dominalien yeah, it's a lot higher than the minimum. Wouldn't have touched it otherwise but wanted a meaty game that wasn't an FPS or Civ (which I'm rubbish at) to play on it, this seems to fit the bill :)

Is Witcher 1 less good if I don't really have time for two massive RPGs?

• dominalien 20 Jan 2013 22:57:04 6,967 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TarickStonefire

I don't really know, because W2 doesn't run on my Macbook at all. W1 is a good game, though.

Edit: "a lot higher"? Which gfx card do you have in the iMac?

Edited by dominalien at 22:59:47 20-01-2013

PSN: DonOsito

• Page

of 1

Previous Next