Adult Education

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Elathron 19 Jan 2013 12:20:57 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hey all!!! My Mrs is looking to get a full time course at City College Brighton (Adult Social Health & Care) but we can't find any information on what it would cost exactly! We've scoured the City College website and it's very unforthcoming about the fees for someone who is over 19 years old. For that matter, why is full time education free for those under 20 but not for those over? Ageism surely? Other funny thing is that Gypsies get free courses too... So really I wanted to create this thread to find out how much others are paying (or have paid) for their courses? What kind of help can we expect etc. (again, the website itself is kinda useless at giving an exact figure...)
    Thanks in advance!

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• RedSparrows 19 Jan 2013 12:27:50 23,892 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Full time higher education is not free. Full time secondary isn't always either.

But sorry, I don't know :)
  • Lexx87 19 Jan 2013 12:34:10 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pretend you're gypsies. Job done.

Speak the truth hussy!

• Elathron 19 Jan 2013 13:00:06 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hehe. Sadly in order to be a certified Gypsy, you have to have a support worker :p I know that full time higher education ain't free, but it's seemingly impossible to find the cost... Is that because it's massively expensive or just because they don't know until you sign up for the course (disorganised in other words haha)?

If God said “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Highest will overshadow you,” to Mary - does that mean he loves bukkake?

• Lexx87 19 Jan 2013 13:08:20 20,863 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    (because it's expensive)

Speak the truth hussy!

• Elathron 19 Jan 2013 13:12:12 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Lexx87 - Yup; figured that one a while ago... Any idea how expensive? :D

• Jeepers 19 Jan 2013 13:39:12 13,256 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Call them?
  • jonsaan 19 Jan 2013 15:17:18 25,439 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Great song.

FCUTA!

• Deleted user 19 January 2013 15:24:08
    Thought of the Open University? They're either free or heavily subsidised if you don't already have a degree (and don't earn a high wage).
  • onestepfromlost 19 Jan 2013 15:25:44 2,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    isnt any higher education free down south?
  • mcmothercruncher 19 Jan 2013 17:45:41 7,542 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What? Where the streets are paved with gold?
  • onestepfromlost 19 Jan 2013 18:03:22 2,108 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Im just used to it up here in Scotland we get one degree paid for.
  • Elathron 20 Jan 2013 01:33:15 1,189 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @onestepfromlost - We get the max £9000 fees at Sussex Uni. Bites harder than a starving mule.

• chopsen 20 Jan 2013 02:01:06 16,209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.universitybooksearch.co.uk/
  • MightyMouse 20 Jan 2013 03:49:00 1,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The UK basically sucks for adult education, for a couple of reasons. The main one is that there's a culture of you-get-one-shot-then-you're-screwed. In the states there's an advert that asks "over 40 and want to become a doctor?" Can you imagine? Here it would just continue: "keep dreaming". Thus the only legitimate adult education is further training for your job, which is hideously expensive since employers pay for it and so companies can charge silly amounts.
  • RedSparrows 20 Jan 2013 10:36:25 23,892 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Having one shot wouldn't be so bad if school education about HE was better. I went to a decentish secondary and got no advice at all.
  • speedofthepuma 20 Jan 2013 10:41:22 13,310 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MightyMouse wrote:
    The UK basically sucks for adult education, for a couple of reasons. The main one is that there's a culture of you-get-one-shot-then-you're-screwed. In the states there's an advert that asks "over 40 and want to become a doctor?" Can you imagine? Here it would just continue: "keep dreaming". Thus the only legitimate adult education is further training for your job, which is hideously expensive since employers pay for it and so companies can charge silly amounts.
    If there's an advert for it in the US then that means you have to pay for it, I would imagine it is similar to the costs here, why would you think otherwise?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• MightyMouse 20 Jan 2013 12:51:53 1,136 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    MightyMouse wrote:
    If there's an advert for it in the US then that means you have to pay for it, I would imagine it is similar to the costs here, why would you think otherwise?
    What? Of course you'd have to pay for it in both places. The point is the attitude this shows. If people actually believe they can actually can change career and do something like become a doctor when they're middle aged, then you get the accompanying infrastucture (more courses open to adults, more funding options, more information available on how to do them). The states have many problems in their higher education system, but they genuinely have a can-do culture that we lack, and that kind of thinking is essential for adult education.

Edited by MightyMouse at 12:52:17 20-01-2013
  • chopsen 20 Jan 2013 14:26:00 16,209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've personally known number of people over the years who went back to uni to study medicine years after their first degree. There's one bloke I remember who didn't even get his A levels till well in to his adult life who then went on to study medicine. Just because you don't see adverts for it on television
  • Metalfish 20 Jan 2013 15:40:12 8,865 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If their first degree was in medical/biosciences, then it's a different matter. In theory, if I had a 1st instead of a 2.1 in my biochem degree plenty of unis would be interested in me doing the shortened medicine course. Not that I ever want to: I want to get back into research.
  • chopsen 20 Jan 2013 16:00:54 16,209 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I know 2 people who did English degrees and went on to study medicine. One is now a GP and the other is training to become a GP.
  • Metalfish 20 Jan 2013 16:47:04 8,865 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fair dos, most postgrad medics come from within science though. You've really gotta shine to come in from elsewhere.
  • Deleted user 20 January 2013 18:14:28
    I've somehow managed to luck into the position of ridiculously cheap adult education in the US. Not even cheap, really, it costs about $300 per semester for all the classes, and I get $1,500 per semester in grants that I don't have to pay back, and an additional $1,500 in interest-free loans if I want it too. All I need to do is buy books on top of that.

What depresses me somewhat is the number of people who aren't in my position, who have to pay full whack for the courses, taking out loans to cover them, then basically not giving a shit and hardly ever showing up or bothering to do the work, flunking the course and getting nothing out of it other than a large debt.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next