Replacing a DVD player from a surround system with a Blu-Ray Player

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Trane 17 Jan 2013 11:03:10 4,059 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hi guys, I'm not really a wizard when it comes to AV setup, I currently have one of these:

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/home-entertainment/archive-home-entertainment-system/HT-D450/XU

What I'd like to do is replace the player with a Blu-Ray version. I'd like to keep my 5.1 setup if possible. The player I'm guessing would need to be a Samsung? I'd still like like it to have USB and optic line-in. I'd just like to know if this is viable or if there are suitable alternatives to this approach,

Cheers for the help.
  • chopsen 17 Jan 2013 11:09:57 16,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This is why I hate DVD/BR players with integrated surround sound. See also the "my movies are in surround, how do I get my TV to be in surround sound too?"

You can either buy a new BR played with integrated surround sound, or you can buy a AV receiver + speakers + player separately. Either way, if you want to upgrade you need ditch everything you've got at the moment.

The former is cheaper, but is limited. The latter is more expensive but more future proof and allows you to connect other devices too.

Edited by Chopsen at 11:10:40 17-01-2013
  • Trane 17 Jan 2013 11:17:00 4,059 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks for the reply, yeah I've always toyed with the idea of buying an AV receiver and doing bit-part upgrades here and there. Alas right now funds don't support this endeavour so I'm just looking for the cheap option to tide me over for a few years.

So I just need a BR player with integrated surround sound and I can just plug that in place? Any recommendations?
  • AcidSnake 17 Jan 2013 11:26:14 7,297 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The speakers should remain compatible with whatever BR player you get (check the wattage of the speakers obviously), only problem would be finding a BR player with 5.1 audio out that isn't sold alongside speakers...

I think Chopsen's suggestions are indeed the only options...

AcidSnake - He can't see your sig, avatar, images or vids and talks about himself in the third person because he's proper old-skool...UID 24017

• mal 17 Jan 2013 11:31:54 22,830 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The shonky specs on that site (which claim it doesn't support DVDs, by the way) claim it has an optical input, which I may hazard a guess is a Dolby Digital optical audio input. Presumably, you could buy a new BR player with optical audio out, wire that to your existing amp/DVD player and get full 5.1 sound, meanwhile with video probably going direct to your TV.

Means you'll need two, possibly three remote controls to switch to the BR channel (the DVD/amp one to switch the audio, the BR one to play the disc, and possibly the TV to switch to the BR input) but it's the cheapest option, I think.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Trane 17 Jan 2013 11:43:28 4,059 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks again chaps. It does indeed have optical, I currently have the TV plumbed in through it, I also have a media PC connected to it via this.

I don't really use the surround for TV very much, mostly for watching stuff from the PC and of course DVD's. So if I just buy any BR player and connect it via optical to my DVD player, I can in theory get 5.1 when watching Blu-Rays?
  • chopsen 17 Jan 2013 11:52:08 16,290 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bear in mind that using optical for audio on BR means you'll get downgraded sound. I *think* you can only get DTS HD and Dolby HD (or whatever they're called) over HDMI. Over optical you'll probably just get normal DTS/Dolby Digital, much the same as a DVD.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next