National lottery ticket price to double

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
  • Lamb 17 Jan 2013 02:15:24 474 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Defend that quote below, considering how hard it even is to do that.

    However, some prize payouts are being reduced. The reward for matching five numbers will drop by £500 to £1,000, while that for five numbers and the bonus number will halve to £50,000.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jan/16/national-lottery-ticket-price-double
  • Psychotext 17 Jan 2013 03:18:35 53,930 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Isn't it about time another company got a chance at this? How long was their contract for?
  • X201 17 Jan 2013 06:16:39 15,254 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To answer the OP

    The fact that they will increase the prize for 3 balls by 150%

    From £10 to £25

    And that they were asked to do it by the people they surveyed

    Edited by X201 at 06:19:25 17-01-2013
  • CosmicFuzz 17 Jan 2013 07:12:58 23,823 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Meh, it's all about the Euromillions

    Episode 5 of our gaming podcast Open Source is a Gamescom Special. Check it out here!

  • Trowel 17 Jan 2013 07:31:55 17,581 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    Isn't it about time another company got a chance at this? How long was their contract for?
    What have Camelot done wrong? Their contact gets renewed without too much fuss each time it comes to renewal. Seem to remember there's never a realistic challenger anyway.
  • THFourteen 17 Jan 2013 08:03:15 33,149 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    if its too expensive... DONT BUY A TICKET!
  • FWB 17 Jan 2013 08:23:35 44,193 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You can choose not to play. You did know that, right?

    And second Cosmic. I only play the Euros. I don't want some piddly 8m. I only go for the grand 125 mil prizes.
  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2013 08:32:57 59,416 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think, after 15 odd years, a price rise isnt entirely unexpected

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Shikasama 17 Jan 2013 08:33:54 6,741 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    You can choose not to play. You did know that, right?

    And second Cosmic. I only play the Euros. I don't want some piddly 8m. I only go for the grand 125 mil prizes.
    And the millionaires raffle gives you an ever so slightly better chance
  • Murbal 17 Jan 2013 08:35:48 22,073 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think, after 15 odd years, a price rise isnt entirely unexpected
    Think it will have a big impact though - how many grannies do you see buying 10 lines at a time? Can't see them being able to keep it up poor things.
  • DaM 17 Jan 2013 09:55:03 12,984 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If they restricted the jackpot to 1 million, could they maybe make the smaller prizes more interesting?

    Plus I thought their contract/bid would say that they would use a % of the take as prize money - will this percentage stay the same, or are they just making more profit?
  • RyanDS 17 Jan 2013 09:59:45 9,199 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    If they restricted the jackpot to 1 million, could they maybe make the smaller prizes more interesting?

    Plus I thought their contract/bid would say that they would use a % of the take as prize money - will this percentage stay the same, or are they just making more profit?
    I really liked the Branson bid a while ago.

    Maximum £1 million top prize, and all the lower prizes would be much higher.
  • 4gate 17 Jan 2013 10:01:23 362 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Pornographer and Ch 5 / Daily Express / Health Lottery owner Richard Desmond will be loving this.
  • Humperfunk 17 Jan 2013 10:03:17 2,090 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They're doubling the idiot tax?! Outrageous!

    PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2013 10:06:11 59,416 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think, after 15 odd years, a price rise isnt entirely unexpected
    Think it will have a big impact though - how many grannies do you see buying 10 lines at a time? Can't see them being able to keep it up poor things.
    That much is true. My old dear got herself into the situation that she had played the same lines for so long, she only kept playing because she knew her numbers off by heart so if they came up one week and she hadnít bought them, she would probably have done herself in.

    This would, obviously, have doubled her weekly spend up to a tenner.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Whizzo 17 Jan 2013 10:12:37 43,081 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Unfortunately I started playing the same numbers as well some years ago, I'm rather locked in now.

    All I can see happening is less people playing, raising the £10 prize to £25 isn't going to make people cough up more money, the probability of winning anything at all hasn't increased.

    This space left intentionally blank.

  • glaeken 17 Jan 2013 10:36:21 11,137 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I guess the real question is where is the extra money actually going? Is it all accounted for by the changes in prizes?
  • sport 17 Jan 2013 10:40:34 12,684 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pfffft, it's all about the POSTCODE LOTTERY!!!!!!!

    Edited by sport at 10:40:44 17-01-2013
  • quadfather 17 Jan 2013 10:57:47 11,978 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Reason

    psn quaddy456, Dark Souls tips

  • Psychotext 17 Jan 2013 11:43:22 53,930 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    What have Camelot done wrong? Their contact gets renewed without too much fuss each time it comes to renewal. Seem to remember there's never a realistic challenger anyway.
    Well... originally not giving nearly enough to charity vs virgin who were also going for the contract. I imagine not much has changed.
  • glaeken 17 Jan 2013 11:59:14 11,137 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I would rather see it government run and non-profit making really. Of course they would probably fuck it up and not be able to do it for a reasonable cost but still it would be nice in an ideal world.
  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
Log in or register to reply