Odyssey 3011 (Elite on the Indie channel). Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 09:39:48 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ModishNouns wrote:
    It's worth noting that you can remap all the controller inputs except A and Y. So you can, for example, swap the yaw control to the left stick and roll to the right as well as putting fire on the trigger. I found that makes combat much more natural.

Right on, Commander!
    Good idea, I think I'll have to do that. Only spent 30 mins or so, but I got fucked up by 3 baddies on my 2nd trading run.

I totally called it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• agparrot 30 Jan 2013 11:26:48 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    lucky_jim wrote:
    It's very good indeed. It's more like my memories of Elite than the real version of Elite is.
    This is probably the best description of it I can think of, it's a long way from blow-for-blow faithful to the original, but that doesn't stop it feeling just as you remember Elite feeling.

I stayed up until past my bedtime playing Odyssey 3011 last night - it's really nifty. As Modish pointed out, a lot of the beginning game is some cargo runs so that you can afford your first bit of 'career kit', whether that be better lasers and cargo scoops for piracy or bounty hunting, mineral scoops for rock mining or more cargo space and fuel capacity for... just about everything, but mostly trading.

It feels like it felt to play Elite, with a lick of shiny paint and a littel bit more diversity to the ship kit and the markets. There's a handy tool in the market screen that shows you prices in nearby systems, and some of the commodities have dangerously fluctuating prices that could lead to a loss - prices often change a little bit for most products during your hypserspace jump, meaning your yield can be cut or increased a smidgen.

You also start to receive 'mission' messages in game, with various factors applying to specific planets where there are opportunities to haul certain types of goods for huge percentage price increases. These are usually accompanied by having to blow something up, scoop something, or to just get past the increased presence of pirates, revolutionaries or other ne'er-do-wells.

At the beginning, your ship is a real piece of junk, and you don't stand a chance in fights against most multiple enemies, so it's really, really important to check the Threat level before jumping into systems. Ship upgrades are reassuringly expensive, and most of the good ones are only available at high tech-level planets.

It's a lovingly crafted version of the Elite experience, without being a copy, that is just as compelling to me as Elite was - If it was a proper game, there are probably a few issues I'd list as something that could be improved a little bit, but for the price of a pint of beer, or one of those trendy coffees, you can't really go wrong.
  • richardiox 30 Jan 2013 19:57:35 5,421 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow this game takes a long time to load, especially for a 124meg indie game (cost 240 points)
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 20:26:19 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Keeps crashing too. Thinking about making a general gameplay vid though if anyone is interested?

I totally called it.

• thenastypasty 30 Jan 2013 20:48:26 5,178 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    Keeps crashing too. Thinking about making a general gameplay vid though if anyone is interested?
    Defiantly. Elite was one of the games I remember fondly from my formative years and would love to see some footage. TBH I'm probably going to download this anyway though :)

Edited by thenastypasty at 20:48:52 30-01-2013
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 20:55:45 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, tell you what. Live stream for 30 mins starting in just a mo on http://www.twitch.tv/mrtomftw

I totally called it.

• Whizzo 30 Jan 2013 21:15:15 42,769 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It crashed to a black screen when I was playing the demo so I never went back to try it again, which is a shame.

This space left intentionally blank.

• mal 30 Jan 2013 21:37:43 21,991 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MrTomFTW wrote:
    ModishNouns wrote:
    It's worth noting that you can remap all the controller inputs except A and Y. So you can, for example, swap the yaw control to the left stick and roll to the right as well as putting fire on the trigger. I found that makes combat much more natural.

Right on, Commander!
    Good idea, I think I'll have to do that. Only spent 30 mins or so, but I got fucked up by 3 baddies on my 2nd trading run.
    Roll on a different stick to pitch? What is this madness? Fuck it, why not turn it into an FPS and map pitch and yaw to right stick?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 21:38:09 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I did :-)

I totally called it.

• Gruff 30 Jan 2013 21:44:18 2,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thats some pretty good commanding there Tom, does that music play all through game as a default?

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• Gruff 30 Jan 2013 21:49:53 2,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I was digging the ship sound effects, deffo getting now, how much was it :)

Edited by Gruff at 21:50:12 30-01-2013

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 21:50:21 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, it's set to "Occasional" as default. I just wanted something to break up the silence tonight.

So that's my first decent session with it. Just hopping between those two planets, getting my credits up. I really enjoyed just doing that though!

Edited by MrTomFTW at 21:51:07 30-01-2013

I totally called it.

• Gruff 30 Jan 2013 21:52:21 2,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yep, memories came flooding back, do the other ship ever fight back :)

― Agnes Repplier

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 21:53:38 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    I was digging the ship sound effects, deffo getting now, how much was it :)
    240 Microsoft Space Points.

If anyone else wants to watch the session now it's ended, it'll be at http://www.twitch.tv/mrtomftw/b/362350131# for the next 7 days.

I totally called it.

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 21:54:26 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    Yep, memories came flooding back, do the other ship ever fight back :)
    Did you not see me die?

I totally called it.

• Gruff 30 Jan 2013 21:57:38 2,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Came in at the tail end when you were wasting dudes.

Looks fantastic, it will tide me over until Braben's phantom Elite game,

Cheers for the Giant Bomb Quick Look(tm)

― Agnes Repplier

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 22:00:49 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One day I might get over my shyness* and narrate one of those.

*My wife taking the piss.

I totally called it.

• Gruff 30 Jan 2013 22:05:21 2,777 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would have delurked and signed up for the chat, but it required a Facebook account....Shudder

Everybody knows the cool kids hang out at Google+ now

― Agnes Repplier

• MrTomFTW Moderator 30 Jan 2013 22:19:50 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, you can sign up without FB, I did. Not that I read chat anyway, maybe I should :-)

I totally called it.

• ModishNouns 31 Jan 2013 09:35:02 4,633 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm completely sucked in now. Turned down FC3 coop with Simp and Neil to play this instead last night!

I've ventured away from the learner planets now, done a mission, got my first alien artifact and found a planet that sells beam lasers!

14 again :D
  • LeoliansBro 31 Jan 2013 09:38:30 41,872 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tried it last night. You turn soooo slooooooowly and for some reason my crosshairs are way off centre, in the top left quarter of the screen. It is Elite though, brilliant :)

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• ModishNouns 31 Jan 2013 09:55:46 4,633 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes the turning speed was my main motivation for dicking about with the controls and I note that  you can buy a number of levels of turning upgrade. That's great but... lasers!
  • agparrot 31 Jan 2013 10:32:17 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hehe.

As much as I enjoyed playing FC3 instead of this last night, it does mean that I still don't have enough money for a Beam Laser, and I'm miles away from the cost of turning upgrades, better shield bits and all the other things I'm going to need in my career as blockade-running space drifter.

I've never had an actual crash, but I'd also recommend not pressing the guide button at any point during the game loading - the game itself seems to hog all resources on the Xbox while loading, for some reason, and trying to do anything with the dash just confuses it even more.

Game is great though, imho.
  • Krappers 1 Feb 2013 07:25:48 41 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Right, got all the pieces of the artifacts. Still no bloody clearer where Earth is.
    Also now my ship is too fast for my hired mercs to keep up me. Entering a fire fight expecting mercs backing me up. Only to find they're still playing catch up.
    Dishonored gone out the window for now.
  • agparrot 1 Feb 2013 12:42:21 11,903 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Krappers Yah, even before you upgrade your engines, the mercenaries are still a bit redundant in the first exchanges of laser fire, as they are obviously coded to follow you, and the navigational code does the same as the enemy combat AI in trying to hold position - fly towards you, get too close, turn and fly away, so if they catch you up, you can sometimes hear their engines mucking about turning away from you as you speed off into the distance.

As you get a bit of warning generally for when enemies are inbound on the radar, you can turn away as soon as enemies arrive, and fly the other side of mercenaries so that they definitely get involved, but the whole AI mechanic is a bit basic. Not that it isn't a great idea, of course, and it definitely adds something to the Elite experience.

I've got a Beam Laser now and I've caught sight of Military Lasers at something like 5,000Cr. - madness, but I really really want one. Have upgraded to the IBN shield thingy and the first power whatsit, but it didn't seem to make too much difference to combat performance. Perhaps that's just because I'm in tougher fights, saw my first Thargoid mothership last night, and promptly got murdered to death. As it should be, of course.

Found a nifty computers and robotics 1-jump trade route that is making me bundles of money, but I keep spending it on shinies, and then just drifting from star to star, scooping fuel and getting in fights, even mining the odd asteroid for gold, gemstone and platinum drops which aren't all that rare. Scooping stuff appears to either be broken, or to deliberately allow you to carry more cargo than you have capacity for, I think.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 1 Feb 2013 12:51:38 36,298 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, I'm still ferrying small amounts of cargo back and forth between easy planets. Still I've bought a scoop and that thing that gets fuel from stars, so that's making it quicker.

I totally called it.

• Krappers 1 Feb 2013 13:01:47 41 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Ive got pretty kitted out now. It say the military lasers are bannedin some systems. So equiping them may push you to wrong side of the law.

You make a mint doing the missions. And as you can get the mercs to carry cargo for you. I hire a load (havent found a limit on how many you can have tailing you at any one time),& jump from planet to planet filling their cargo holds full of whatever on the way. Ready to cash in on the completed mission.

Any idea what the highest tech level planet is ?
    Im heading for one that i spotted thats level 36.
  • Popzeus 1 Feb 2013 13:02:51 8,250 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    One question before I take the plunge: does this have slave-trading?

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• ModishNouns 1 Feb 2013 13:05:55 4,633 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    I've got a Beam Laser now and I've caught sight of Military Lasers at something like 5,000Cr. - madness, but I really really want one.
    This. Also, for the military laser to be any kind of use, you're going to want a top of the line cooling system and the one I saw was over 9000 Cr!

You can make a lot of dough quite quickly from the mission side-trades, though. I had one that grossed me over 6000 Cr in a single run.

Scooping stuff appears to either be broken, or to deliberately allow you to carry more cargo than you have capacity for, I think.
    Some of the mining pickups are significantly less than a tonne each, though. SO if you have a tonne spare it could be sub-dividing the space. This requires science.
  • ModishNouns 1 Feb 2013 13:07:01 4,633 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Popzeus wrote:
    One question before I take the plunge: does this have slave-trading?
    Insofar as the original did, yes. You can pick up escape pods and sell them on. Some register as slaves, some as passengers. More science required here too.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last