Odyssey 3011 (Elite on the Indie channel).

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous
  • Krappers 16 Jan 2013 23:12:05 42 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This might be old news. But i was unaware. But someone has recreated ELITE, & called it Odessey 3011. And im having a blast.
    240 points.
  • richardiox 16 Jan 2013 23:22:27 5,738 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will check the trial, cheers for the heads up.
  • MrV333 16 Jan 2013 23:49:41 108 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow! Was daydreaming recently about how good it would be if someone did a version of Elite in xbla or indie games.... Downloading the trial now, if it's any good at all I'll be outrageously happy. Thanks for posting this!!
  • the_dudefather 16 Jan 2013 23:57:49 9,418 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /wishes for XBLA/Indie version of Micro Machines

(ง ͠° ͟ʖ ͡°)

• Krappers 17 Jan 2013 00:03:41 42 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It takes alittle getting use to (longer than the 5 or so minutes of the trial). And might not be slick enough for some.
    But at 240 points.....
  • MrV333 17 Jan 2013 00:35:42 108 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Played the trial and bought it at the end. It's the first time that I've spent 240msp on an indie channel game but I already know I'll lose hours to it.....
  • Krappers 17 Jan 2013 00:41:34 42 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I knew my spelling of the word indie didnt look quite right.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2013 00:44:40
    How many points is it again?
  • Krappers 17 Jan 2013 00:45:22 42 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
  • Krappers 23 Jan 2013 15:07:53 42 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrV333 wrote:
    Played the trial and bought it at the end. It's the first time that I've spent 240msp on an indie channel game but I already know I'll lose hours to it.....
    So one week later.... Still playing ?
    Ive done nothing else since. Getting my arse handed to me all over the shop.
    Convinced a mate of mine to buy it. He got obsessed, & has now completed it by finding earth.
  • MrV333 28 Jan 2013 20:06:43 108 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow! I've only put a couple of hours into it but keep meaning to have a proper sesh. I'm still pleased with it but am yet to properly appreciate it.
    Your post kinda gives me a nudge to do so although Dark Souls has been digging it's claws into me again lately and eating all my gaming time up..
  • mal 28 Jan 2013 20:29:10 22,842 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Krappers wrote:
    I knew my spelling of the word indie didnt look quite right.
    There's an Indiana Jones channel now? Damn I should really get on Live one of these days.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Gruff 28 Jan 2013 20:47:15 2,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh, I'm gonna buy the shit outta this, 240 pts can't go wrong, shirley

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• caligari 28 Jan 2013 20:52:59 17,194 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have 240 points spare - could anyone please tell me how many I'd need to buy this game?
  • Gruff 28 Jan 2013 21:06:40 2,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I reckon if you go along to the Xbox marketplace with those spare MS points (How many did you mention, 240)? There is a fair to middling chance that you would be able to purchase said aforementioned game.

“It's not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it's not possible to find it elsewhere.”
    ― Agnes Repplier

• agparrot 29 Jan 2013 16:14:48 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I trundled along to the XBLIG to check Odyssey 3011 expecting a cheap, vector-lined remake of the timeless classic that was Elite.

However it's a really nicely put together re-imagining of it, that messes about with the controls a bit, gives loads more stuff visible in the cockpit controls and somehow really captures the essence of what I remember being brilliant about Elite on the BBC, then the Spectrum - the two versions I previously spent the most time with.

I found myself firing up the demo a number of times just to make sure it wasn't broken, but imagine I'll buy it for 240MSPs just to register my approval at the love that has gone into this enjoyable and faithful recreation of the things that made Elite great. It hopefully steers wide enough of comparison with the original to have it removed on copyright grounds, or anything like that.
  • spindle9988 29 Jan 2013 16:19:05 3,676 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am so excited to get home now
  • Popzeus 29 Jan 2013 16:24:12 8,427 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Given that I've shelled out £20 in advance for a version of Elite that will probably never get made, it'd be remiss not to give this a whirl in the meantime. Good spot!

Currently playing: Standing In A Car Park Simulator 2013

• ModishNouns 29 Jan 2013 16:43:22 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This looks really good. A youtube taster:

• Vortex808 29 Jan 2013 16:56:48 7,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    agparrot wrote:
    I trundled along to the XBLIG to check Odyssey 3011 expecting a cheap, vector-lined remake of the timeless classic that was Elite.

However it's a really nicely put together re-imagining of it, that messes about with the controls a bit, gives loads more stuff visible in the cockpit controls and somehow really captures the essence of what I remember being brilliant about Elite on the BBC, then the Spectrum - the two versions I previously spent the most time with.

I found myself firing up the demo a number of times just to make sure it wasn't broken, but imagine I'll buy it for 240MSPs just to register my approval at the love that has gone into this enjoyable and faithful recreation of the things that made Elite great. It hopefully steers wide enough of comparison with the original to have it removed on copyright grounds, or anything like that.
    How close to the magic of Elite are we talking here?

Not that it really matters I guess, all of the above comments are certainly going to make me try the demo at least.
  • agparrot 29 Jan 2013 17:54:14 11,903 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    How close to the magic of Elite are we talking here?
    Well, it feels just like Elite, but this is down to design considerations more than anything. It has Yaw controls that are more sensitive than the roll/pitch controls, so flying it is straight away quite different, although as you can see from Modishnouns linked video, you still have to manually rotate into the docking slot, which is the first cornerstone that knocks home how much like Elite it feels. The combat mechanics are very similar, the 3D radar changes scale as you close in on other things in space, it has that same 'stem' system for things relatively above or below you, and although the change in controls makes positioning different, it's a nice simple flight system, as Elite was. Two-button missile targeting and then firing feels satisfyingly just the same.

Compared to the simplistic, but clear original cockpit shieldbar/missile/speed/fuel stuff, the intial sensation of looking at Odyssey is that it's a bit cluttered and confusing, but from my 6 or 7 demo restarts, you start to realise it has some really neat features, like the ship computer, the station/star locator, and other stuff I've not really got to grips with yet. It's reminiscent of Elite, and functionally most of it does the same things you did in Elite, but it is clear that a lot of work has gone into making it its own thing, too.

I realise that my opinion of it is likely mired in a firm layer of nostalgia, but I really think that the game is a Good Thing. The blurb on xbox.com suggests it has missions and so on. It's certainly worth firing it up to have a go at the trial if nothing else! It made me grin with the childish wonder of my *mumble mumble* year old self, that played it on the BBC and later on the Speccy.

• barchetta 29 Jan 2013 18:03:27 1,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's actually pretty close, though not as faithful as Oolite on the Mac. Controls are a little off but that may be just me being so used to the keyboard controls.

Seems far too easy to crash into another ship during dogfighting too. There are a few new gadgets and some of the trading stats are handy.

Worth downloading and trying, for sure.
  • Vortex808 29 Jan 2013 18:42:55 7,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Right, that settles it. I'll just buy it. Who knows when I'll get time to really play it, but Elite is pretty much my FAVOURITE GAME EVER so it doesn't need much thought if it's fairly faithful to it.

:)
  • Gruff 29 Jan 2013 18:51:59 2,947 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Right, that settles it. I'll just buy it. Who knows when I'll get time to really play it, but Elite is pretty much my FAVOURITE GAME EVER so it doesn't need much thought if it's fairly faithful to it.

:)
    If you hurry its available for a special low price 240 Pts

― Agnes Repplier

• Vortex808 29 Jan 2013 18:56:11 7,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I am so weak. Even the screenshot was enough to tip me over when I investigated it after queueing up the crysis 3 demo.

I narrowly avoided adding 'obesity epidemic' and 'octogenarian ??' something or other to my queue too.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 29 Jan 2013 19:01:55 39,799 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh this looks good. I've got points spare as well.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• lucky_jim 29 Jan 2013 19:47:31 5,350 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's very good indeed. It's more like my memories of Elite than the real version of Elite is. I know the indie section has a bad rep, but there's loads of good stuff there (though it's admittedly outweighed by a metric fuck-ton of shit).
  • ModishNouns 30 Jan 2013 09:29:27 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Did I really stay up until 2:30am hauling scrap metal and ore between two shitty little backwaters to blow all my profits on a pointless HUD crosshair and, admittedly far more useful, pulse laser?

Yes. Yes, I think I did.

Brilliant stuff :)

It's worth noting that you can remap all the controller inputs except A and Y. So you can, for example, swap the yaw control to the left stick and roll to the right as well as putting fire on the trigger. I found that makes combat much more natural.

Right on, Commander!

Edited by ModishNouns at 09:31:55 30-01-2013
  • Vortex808 30 Jan 2013 09:31:18 7,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :D

That brings back so many happy memories of C64 fun ModishNouns!
  • ModishNouns 30 Jan 2013 09:33:35 4,664 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    :D

That brings back so many happy memories of C64 fun ModishNouns!
    Yep. Takes me right back to school :D
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Previous