• Whizzo 17 Jan 2013 11:30:19 43,372 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mothercare

This space left intentionally blank.

• DaM 17 Jan 2013 12:59:34 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thomas Cook. Another business model hammered by the internet. I don't think the big travel agents have quite got the net yet.
  • TVoJ 17 Jan 2013 13:13:16 2,042 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    tincanrocket wrote:
    And the winner is..... Blockbuster, apparently. I thought they'd already gone out of business, to be honest
    Get in! What do I win?
  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2013 13:17:20 61,349 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Thomas Cook. Another business model hammered by the internet. I don't think the big travel agents have quite got the net yet.
    Travel is one of the few things I wont do online. I like to go into somewhere and say 'I want to go here please' and them make it happen.

Its just too much fuckarsing around otherwise.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Trowel 17 Jan 2013 13:17:47 18,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TVoJ wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:
    And the winner is..... Blockbuster, apparently. I thought they'd already gone out of business, to be honest
    Get in! What do I win?
    Yesterday's newspaper.
  • Whizzo 17 Jan 2013 13:18:45 43,372 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TVoJ wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Get in! What do I win?
    Your entry wasn't a meta gag then? Blockbusters going down was announced yesterday afternoon.

• Moot_Point 17 Jan 2013 13:19:42 4,627 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    TVoJ wrote:
    tincanrocket wrote:
    Get in! What do I win?
    Yesterday's newspaper.
    Indeed. OLD!

================================================================================

mowgli wrote: I thought the 1 married the .2 and founded Islam?

• Trowel 17 Jan 2013 13:20:19 18,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Clinton Cards.

It's not going to be too long before realisation dawns over the populace that they're being charged the best part of a fiver for a piece of folded cardboard.

Although why it hasn't dawned on them yet is beyond me.
    Already been into administration in the last year or so, think they'll be alright for a while - the Clinton near us had a massive face lift not too long ago.
  • Dirtbox 17 Jan 2013 13:20:32 79,217 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's got to be WH Smiths now. They can't even afford to light their stores properly any more.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Whizzo 17 Jan 2013 13:23:13 43,372 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trowel wrote:Already been into administration in the last year or so, think they'll be alright for a while - the Clinton near us had a massive face lift not too long ago.
    Quite surprised when I went shopping for Christmas cards, they actually had some decently priced ones for a change!

I still bought most of them in Card Warehouse though, they're seriously cheap for stuff that's going to end up in the recycling a couple of weeks later.

• L_Franko Moderator 17 Jan 2013 13:26:05 9,697 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    What about Waterstones, how are they doing at the moment?
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Jan 2013 13:32:16 7,501 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They're being bankrolled by a Russian billionaire, so they're doing fine until he gets fed up with it.
  • D_arkTrooper 17 Jan 2013 13:36:38 1,350 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Boots.

What exactly is the point of their continued existence? They don't sell ANYTHING that can't be bought cheaper elsewhere.

My prediction anyway.

3DS Friend Code : 5000-2484-1471

Animal Crossing alter ego: Andy from Stoke

• THFourteen 17 Jan 2013 13:37:05 34,483 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    It's got to be WH Smiths now. They can't even afford to light their stores properly any more.
    I thought of that, but the Smiths in train stations and airports are always busy.

I don't reckon they'd lose all their shops...
  • TheSaint 17 Jan 2013 13:43:35 14,833 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    DaM wrote:
    Travel is one of the few things I wont do online. I like to go into somewhere and say 'I want to go here please' and them make it happen.

I spend ages planning holidays online. Reading hotel reviews, planning routes and booking flights. It's become half the fun.

Edited by TheSaint at 13:50:41 17-01-2013
  • Waffleaber 17 Jan 2013 13:51:36 464 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @D_arkTrooper

Fuck that. Boots along with HMV have been responsible for 85% of all my yearly birthday/christmas gifts. I'd be completely lost for gifts for not especially beloved relatives if they both go down.
  • nickthegun 17 Jan 2013 13:53:46 61,349 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    iTunes vouchers are the new boots voucher

waaah fuck apple! waah fuck itunes!

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Mr-Brett 17 Jan 2013 14:03:53 12,897 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or Amazon voucher.

Waaaah something or other probably

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• disusedgenius 17 Jan 2013 14:04:37 5,626 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Aren't a lot of their stores subsidised by having a Post Office in them? Might mean they can cling on for a bit.
  • Mr-Brett 17 Jan 2013 14:06:38 12,897 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There are two Waterstones in my local town and both have Costas in them. True story.

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Lexx87 17 Jan 2013 15:37:22 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't like all of them these days.

/he says living in central London

Edited by Lexx87 at 15:39:09 17-01-2013

Speak the truth hussy!

• kinky_mong 17 Jan 2013 15:44:01 10,873 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Trowel wrote:Already been into administration in the last year or so, think they'll be alright for a while - the Clinton near us had a massive face lift not too long ago.
    Quite surprised when I went shopping for Christmas cards, they actually had some decently priced ones for a change!

I still bought most of them in Card Warehouse though, they're seriously cheap for stuff that's going to end up in the recycling a couple of weeks later.
    I thought Clinton Cards had already gone, the one on Oxford Street disappeared last year which was a pain as they were actually reasonably priced (well as reasonable as it can be paying over 2.50 for an A5 piece of card with a crap joke on the front).

And on that note I hope Cards Galore go next, piss poor selection at a stupidly high price yet they seem to be everywhere.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 17 January 2013 15:47:55
    D_arkTrooper wrote:
    Boots.

What exactly is the point of their continued existence? They don't sell ANYTHING that can't be bought cheaper elsewhere.

My prediction anyway.
    Boots are doing really well. They're very agile and adjust quickly, so even things like photography development collapsing (which was a huge thing for them) has been shrugged off because they saw it coming.

Bottom line they are a pharmacy, and so still provide an essential service, but they supplement that with very clever targeting and marketing, particularly with things like good quality but cheap own-brand make-up.

They're not going anywhere.

As for who is next, Thorntons are well known to be on borrowed time.
  • chopsen 17 Jan 2013 15:51:12 16,290 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    DaM wrote:

I spend ages planning holidays online. Reading hotel reviews, planning routes and booking flights. It's become half the fun.
    True story: I have only ever booked holidays online. I am in my late 30s.
  • kickerconspiracy 17 Jan 2013 15:59:20 494 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X201 wrote:
    kickerconspiracy wrote:
    Journey's Friend if they haven't already gone under.
    Who are they?

Haven't seen them anywhere.
    They're a really shitty newsagent.

The only one I've seen in years is at Leeds train station.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2013 16:02:26
    Thought Thorntons had already gone. Shut all their stores in Edinburgh. But I thought the same about Blockbusters tbf/.
  • DaM 17 Jan 2013 16:03:33 13,538 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    DaM wrote:

And some people still buy CDs in HMV. Or they did :)
  • Deleted user 17 January 2013 16:04:32
    Didn't stand a chance with their free samples and my bag full of fake moustaches.
  • DrStrangelove 17 Jan 2013 18:35:54 4,676 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    England.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last