Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Patch 2.0 incoming on Monday.

Huge patch is huge.

http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/9453148.page
  • dsmx 20 Apr 2013 00:26:04 7,604 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol it would appear that maxis noticed the all residential city and have specifically set out in this patch to stop it from working.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Venatio Event Features Manager, Gamer Network 23 Apr 2013 13:41:12 4,629 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I was hoping the patch would reignite my interest in this. Not looking good though.

"sounds like a public school ponce"

• ronuds 23 Apr 2013 13:46:11 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Fix one thing, break 2 others.
  • Randomlampy 23 Apr 2013 13:47:29 580 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    [double post]

Edited by Randomlampy at 13:47:42 23-04-2013
  • Randomlampy 23 Apr 2013 13:47:29 580 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    oof.

Not that I had much spare time to dip back in anyway, but this makes the decision not to do so much easier.
  • Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 13:58:31 808 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Poor, poor Simcity :(

SO glad I didn't get this on pre-order...
  • TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 14:16:57 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So full steam ahead on the Mac 'port' then, eh?

So sad that a game series I once considered one of the greatest in the world (okay, 3 wasn't quite right, and I never got to play 4) has come to this snivelling, shambling end.

Wonder if someone out there has the sheckles and the motivation to make the city simulation that SC5 could and should have been?

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 14:17:54 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I live in the US.
    OOooh. Where? What do you do?

• Cosquae 23 Apr 2013 14:21:11 1,223 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TarickStonefire If you get a chance and 10 or so spare, have a go on SC4. It's worth the time and has a host of great mods too. Probably the best we'll see of the series.
  • TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 14:42:50 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Cosquae wrote:
    @TarickStonefire If you get a chance and 10 or so spare, have a go on SC4. It's worth the time and has a host of great mods too. Probably the best we'll see of the series.
    Sadly SC4 is nigh-on impossible to play on a Mac these days without dual-booting, which I've tried in the past to play older PC games, and was not a fan of.

I wonder... does it work in Crossover 12, do you think?

/googles

OOOH! Gold rating! I have a mission for the rest of the afternoon! :D

Anyone know where the best place to purchase a downloadable copy of the fullest version of the game is right now, that I'd be able to install via Crossover? (so not Steam or Origin, I guess)

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:48:15 23-04-2013

• ronuds 23 Apr 2013 14:47:46 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    I live in the US.
    Do you want me to get you a code?

I looked again on Sunday and still no specially-marked boxes. I'm starting to think it was all a ruse.
  • TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 14:48:43 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    ronuds wrote:
    I live in the US.
    Do you want me to get you a code?

I looked again on Sunday and still no specially-marked boxes. I'm starting to think it was all a ruse.
    No thanks, I don't have SC5. I just wondered where you live in the US and what you do :)

(edited to add 'thanks')

Edited by TarickStonefire at 14:49:08 23-04-2013

• ronuds 23 Apr 2013 15:11:37 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm from CT.

No, you cannot come stay here for your holiday!
  • Cosquae 23 Apr 2013 16:02:23 1,223 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TarickStonefire The Delux edition of SC4 is on sale at the moment on Amazon US.
  • TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 16:52:11 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Cosquae Cool, I see it's a $15 download, but doesn't Amazon US require you to use a US-based payment card?

• TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 16:54:10 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ronuds CT... U? You're a counter terrorist operative?

Don't worry, my in-laws are American so I don't need a holiday contact, lol ;) Just curious about your situation as I often wonder about packing it in over here and starting afresh in the US, especially as my wife misses the Florida beaches she grew up on very much. But also, not sure about living in the US right now. And as I'd almost certainly be freelancing, I'd have no health care...

• ronuds 23 Apr 2013 17:22:43 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @TarickStonefire - CT is the state of Connecticut.

I'm a big fan of Florida. It's very hot and humid, though.

You could always buy private insurance, ya know! Also, Obamacare's in the works, but I'm not sure if it's going to help someone in your situation much.
  • TarickStonefire 23 Apr 2013 17:43:56 3,107 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ronuds - Ah. Could have Googled. Didn't. ;)

It's Destin she misses, which is in the north west of Florida, next to Alabama and the Mexican gulf I think. Can be very humid, also gets the brunt of a lot of storms. But she talks about maybe finding somewhere off the beaten track in northern California too, somewhere with plenty of nature around.

Ahhhhh, sun... :)

Back on-topic, I wonder if what appears to be an unbelievably mis-judged, dump of a 'game' will ever get battered into something approaching an acceptable shape by EA/Maxis, or if that's basically it for SimCity as we all knew it.

• Cosquae 23 Apr 2013 17:55:29 1,223 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TarickStonefire I've used my UK based one for a while now, no problems there. Just need a physical US based address... real or otherwise.
  • secombe 25 Apr 2013 08:42:45 1,328 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting article on RPS...

The power of silence
  • Commander-Keen 3 May 2013 12:23:29 808 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So. Is this fixed yet?
  • magicpanda 3 May 2013 12:26:40 13,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Is it fuck. Bastards.
  • Commander-Keen 3 May 2013 12:39:13 808 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It really is an incredible farce isn't it?

After "Nachos-Gate" I'm amazed that the like of EG aren't absolutely crucifying this lot. I mean like absolutely rinsing this bunch of c*nts.

Say what you like about the gutter press, but if a politician had tried to stonewall the tabloids, they'd be getting doorstepped to oblivion over it...
  • X201 3 May 2013 12:47:18 15,476 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The thing is EA will have a shedload of DLC ready to roll.

They have only two choices: Fix it and then flog the DLC, or forget it and write off the income.

They're making a cock-up of the first option.
  • Commander-Keen 3 May 2013 13:23:07 808 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not just about the (immediate) cash either though - the damage to their reputation, and that of the franchise has been massive here. To the extent that I think it's fair to say any future releases for a while are not going to get the rub of the green.

What's really sad is that they've also ruined a fantastic game in the process. There really was no need for this to play out in this way at all. And you would assume that every day they spend patching the game is money lost and time away from another project, so they're probably at a push just going to patch this up to a minimum level that they can get away with, and then move on.

I feel like I've been mugged, and I don't even own the game!
  • RobAnybody 3 May 2013 13:36:50 894 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I also don't own the game, but would have probably bought it if it wasn't such a bug filled and gameplay limited shitfest and if it didn't have the farcical 'always online, no local saves' fucking bullshit.

This really is a monumental cock-up by EA - ultimately EA's upper echelons are to blame, but how many of the bugs are down EA probably rushing the game out before it was finished?

On the bright side, the modding community are doing well with it - look, a double decker bus texture replacement!

http://imgur.com/a/o4MDl#1

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1di7nx/moddouble_decker_texture_replacement/

There's also a mod that allows you to build outside the city limits:

http://www.reddit.com/r/SimCity/comments/1d77t7/mod_pack_build_outside_city_box_simroller/
  • ronuds 3 May 2013 16:09:35 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aye, remember how many hours you sunk into a new SimCity on a rainy day? We'll never have that again!

I'd be pretty amazed if they release another SC after this, tbh. EA is obviously unafraid of putting a franchise to death.

As CK said - the saddest thing is that it didn't have to be this way!
  • MrDigital 3 May 2013 16:17:00 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The annoying thing is that the mistakes that have been made by EA have already been made by others before, EA should have known better with the retrospection.

Always Online - Backfired
    Forcing Your Own Online Online Ecosystem - Backfired
    Limiting Traditional Game Features In The Name Of Casual Gaming - Backfired

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• guts 6 May 2013 16:49:06 1,690 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was quite looking forward o buying this game but didn't want to pay 35+ for the base game on release. I can now get the limited edition (heroes and villains) for 34.98 or a standard edition for 27.95. My question is, should I bother?
    There still seems to be quite a bit of negativity over this game, although it does appear to be playable and fun. I am at a crossroads and need some advice over which road to travel.

Whassamattayou, whyoulookasosad, itsanicaplace, itsanotsobad, heyshaddupayourface.

• Page

of 66 First / Last