Sim City

• Page

of 66 First / Last

Previous
  • badwhippet 16 Jan 2013 12:17:16 4 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Just read in the UK edition of PC Gamer that Sim City (due for release in March) needs a continual online connection. A disconnect allows a paltry few minutes play before the game quits. Maxis are lauding it as a 'feature' but it's looking more like the harshest DRM yet. I'm bummed - I live in a rural area with crap internet. Looks like I might have to cancel my expensive pre-order.
  • neilka 16 Jan 2013 12:18:01 14,942 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Live somewhere less shit
  • MetalDog 16 Jan 2013 12:19:37 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Vote with your wallets. No sale to me if true, that shit can fuck off.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• badwhippet 16 Jan 2013 12:20:46 4 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Vote with your wallets. No sale to me if true, that shit can fuck off.
    Ditto :(
  • andytheadequate 16 Jan 2013 12:24:22 7,955 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thought developers had realised this sort of shit was a terrible idea?
  • teamHAM 16 Jan 2013 12:24:52 2,406 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm sure I read something a while back saying that due to the fact that neighbouring cities to yours are now operated by human controllers, you need to be "always on" to play the game. So this sounds about right.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

• kalel 16 Jan 2013 12:28:19 83,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    teamHAM wrote:
    I'm sure I read something a while back saying that due to the fact that neighbouring cities to yours are now operated by human controllers, you need to be "always on" to play the game. So this sounds about right.
    NO! :o

It couldn't possibly actually be a game feature exactly as they're suggesting it is. No chance. Don't believe it.
  • ScoutTech 16 Jan 2013 12:34:38 2,420 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You don't have to have neighbouring cities run by other people, you can run them all, according to their latest video. There are no local saves either, all into the cloud.

I'll buy once it's cracked.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 12:37:31
    We have a thread for this.
  • jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 12:39:09 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yup, it's true. The new Sim City is Sim City Online. I've been following the developments of the game and i'm out. They have taken Sim City and shoehorned social media into it and in order to do that they have made it online only. Your cities share a global marketplace with other cities that effect your prices. I don't want to have to be online for that kind of crap.

The single player mode is the online game but with a privacy filter so only you can play it online.

They say there are client performance reasons for it but i think they were told to design the game with social media at it's heart back when people gave a damn. Now they have an online leaderboard that requires always on DRM.

I rebought Sim City 4 in the Steam sales this christmas as a form of protest. Hah. Sad.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• badwhippet 16 Jan 2013 12:39:41 4 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll buy once it's cracked.
    And it will be. They always are. Shittiest DRM idea ever - leads to people being more pissed, less likely to buy and more people determined to crack it. Thought they would have learned this from Ubisoft already.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 12:41:37
    Yeah. It really crushed Diablo 3s sales.
  • jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 12:43:13 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sure it will sell well just not to me. Same with the new Unchart... Tomb Raider game. I'm sure it will sell well and will be a decent game but it's not the game i'm interested in so i doubt i'll get it.

• graysonavich 16 Jan 2013 13:07:49 6,802 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I know poking "DRM" is fashionable these days, but the focus of the game is switching to playing it multiplayer with friends. Depends which way you want to spin it really.

1) Oh noes big bad EA

2) Meh I'm always online anyway
  • Cosquae 16 Jan 2013 13:11:36 1,089 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Problem with cracking the game is that this isn't a network-checking DRM system.

The simulation 'glass box' which tells each of the 200,000 sims what to do is run on the EA servers. Every now and then it checks back and asks what to do next or what to do in case of new buildings etc.

No connection and the simulation runs based on the previous data (ie no new buildings there). Typically 'cracking' the game is telling the local host to imagine there's a server connection and go from there. To 'crack' the game you will need to authentically simulate the interaction algorithms on a local machine (using how much CPU power?) in order to get a similar experience to a legit copy.

Step 1, figure out the game mechanic algorithms.

My qualm with the game... it's not like SimCity of old. You can't go back and reload a game from where it was 10 minutes ago. No 'experimenting' with a disaster to see the fun and reloading a pristine city. What happens, stays happens. It's a rogue-like in that respect.
  • MetalDog 16 Jan 2013 13:15:58 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's their prerogative to switch the focus to MP and it's mine to say 'yeah, fuck you, you're not getting my money for that' =)

• kalel 16 Jan 2013 13:18:50 83,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    It's their prerogative to switch the focus to MP and it's mine to say 'yeah, fuck you, you're not getting my money for that' =)
    Of course. But there's a different between you not buying a game because you don't want to play it, and not buying a game to make some sort of statement against what you believe to be a cynical attempt to insert DRM into a game through supposed game design when in fact it's about limiting piracy, and secondhand sales thereby increasing profits and the potential for data collection.
  • neilka 16 Jan 2013 13:23:21 14,942 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They've actually put it in to steal MetalDog's secret butternut squash recipes
  • MetalDog 16 Jan 2013 13:27:01 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's both from me, really. I don't like always online DRM and vote with my wallet in the matter. I also generally prefer SP to MP unless I'm shooting people in the face with needles. I've also seen the way EA is taking the Sims and I strongly suspect they'll see the last of my cash in that regard when they fuck up Sims 4 with this shit.

• graysonavich 16 Jan 2013 13:28:47 6,802 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    If the Sims 4 had properly implemented MP there wouldn't be a price tag high enough to stop me buying it!
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 13:34:30 55,849 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So, in summary: Its a feature of the game, not DRM

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 13:35:01 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That depends on what spin you read.

• graysonavich 16 Jan 2013 13:36:50 6,802 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well the lack of local save files will be annoying for the SP purists. Apart from that...shut up and take my money!
  • MetalDog 16 Jan 2013 13:37:22 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    If the Sims 4 had properly implemented MP there wouldn't be a price tag high enough to stop me buying it!
    They had an online MP version of it once upon a time. Sims prostitution rings and protection rackets sprang up - I didn't play it, but the stories that came out about it were entertaining reading, I'll give you that =D

• ScoutTech 16 Jan 2013 13:40:09 2,420 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My issue is I don't know that many people who play computer games and I'm ok with that. So I don't want to be forced to add friends. If it randomly matches me up with people then I'm going to end up with willyville and iTh1nkUSm3ll as neighbours who will more than likely be abandoned and left to rot after a few months. How will that affect my economy?

When EA get bored or decide I have to upgrade to a different version/game and turn off the servers where does that leave me? Stuffed without a game.

Add to that I will be running it on my laptop so that I can play a game if I'm away somewhere boring, so probably not online. I want the option to just quietly play a game in my own little world without having to be online or have to deal with other people.

I heard talk of the crack being designed to run the server on your machine and redirect the game to that. Guess it depends whether that is possible
  • jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 13:44:27 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unless the game tanks hard i don't think the servers will be shutdown anytime soon or even after their customary two year cycle. Sim City is a flagship brand for EA so they'll keep it going as long as they can.

I'm sure the thought of buying new hats their cities when EA open a store for it will keep people involved for a long while too.

I doubt there will be a server based crack anytime soon either. I'm sure they moved a lot of the engine to the cloud for that reason.

• kalel 16 Jan 2013 13:44:56 83,874 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    jellyhead wrote:
    That depends on what spin you read.
    Here the spin has been helpfully provided in the thread title :)

Seriously, does WoW have "harsh DRM"? It's an online game that therefore requires an internet connection to play. This is the same.
  • THFourteen 16 Jan 2013 13:46:10 31,804 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:2) Meh I'm always online anyway
    This.

Luckily i have a good internet connection. Diablo 3 servers were shite, and i still managed 80+ hours so it doesnt bother me in the slightest.
  • jellyhead 16 Jan 2013 13:48:52 24,350 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's more the case that the previous games have not required a permanent internet connection so the always online restriction being built into the game is being seen as a DRM/Monetization control move.

Aside from having a leaderboard and prices set by your neighbouring cities i can't see what is gained by removing fun features like natural disasters which don't fit the online move.

• MetalDog 16 Jan 2013 13:50:18 23,706 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    WoW is a pretty good comparison, actually - taking a decent SP game I enjoyed and turning it into an online MP pay forever skinner box. Nope.

• Page

of 66 First / Last

Previous