Original sci-fi IP Page 4

• Page

of 4 First / Last

Next
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 16:51:57
    I'm reading Horns at the moment (based off kal's recommendation a few days ago, actually). Should finish it today, I started it yesterday afternoon and hit page 230 when I put the Kindle down last night. It's brilliant.
  • whatfruit 15 Jan 2013 16:54:03 1,420 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I am quietly excited for Ridley Scott's adaptation of Joe Halderman's The Forever War due this year.

Someone was syaing that they have been enjoying the sci-fi of the 70's and 80's, check out the brilliant 1971 Punishment Park by Peter Watkins in which social radicals are hunted down like game across the desert by mute authorties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suh2r2ojP3I
  • kalel 15 Jan 2013 16:54:24 86,904 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think horror is a sub-genre of fantasy to be honest, just one that doesn't get too fantastical generally.

One of those definitions talks about "rules", and how with science fiction you create rules, and then develop a story around them, whereas with fantasy you make up the rules as you write the story. Quite like that.
  • PearOfAnguish 15 Jan 2013 16:59:48 7,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    I am quietly excited for Ridley Scott's adaptation of Joe Halderman's The Forever War due this year.
    This year? Don't think that's going to happen dude. Last thing I heard it didn't even sound like they'd finalised a script.
  • MetalDog 15 Jan 2013 17:00:24 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ehh, good fantasy tends to have internal logic. The stuff that doesn't tends to smell a bit. Same for horror - you make the rules for that as you go along half the time, but you damn well tidy it up and make it internally consistent in subsequent drafts or you suck, I say.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 17:01:33 43,746 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    whatfruit wrote:
    This year? Don't think that's going to happen dude. Last thing I heard it didn't even sound like they'd finalised a script.
    Yep, they've not even called Lindelof yet ;)

Edited by LeoliansBro at 17:03:01 15-01-2013

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 15 January 2013 17:02:41
    Where do we stand on Hitchhiker's Guide? That ostensibly has almost no rules or logic (one could even argue that's a large point of the story), so I'm wondering if we'd identify that as sci-fi or not.

Of course, it's also comedy which makes genre comparisons mostly meaningless anyway.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 17:03:43 43,746 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Comedy doesn't work in these definitions. Red Dwarf has the same problem.

• PearOfAnguish 15 Jan 2013 17:04:49 7,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    whatfruit wrote:
    Yep, they've not even called Lindelof yet ;)
    We can only hope, he did such a fabulous job with Prometheus.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 17:06:09
    Ignoring the stupid time-travel/alternate universe shit that plagued the later seasons, RD was fairly consistent in its science rules, I thought.

But yeah, point taken.
  • BinaryBob101 15 Jan 2013 17:36:32 22,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Gambit1977 wrote:
    Gravity sounds great and is getting good early word.
    Yeah, sound like this could be something truly amazing, but I'm not a fan of the cast really. Clooney's ok, but I can't stand Sandra Bullock.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:
    Many films are based on phone charge running out and being trapped somewhere...

• BinaryBob101 15 Jan 2013 17:38:20 22,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Has anyone read Only Forward? I would love someone to make a movie of that - or better than that, make a game set in the City.
    Yes. Only Forward has massive potential to be a great film. It's not exactly mainstream though.

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:

• MetalDog 15 Jan 2013 17:39:46 23,697 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Is Only Forward the one with the herds of white goods? I liked that a lot.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• Whizzo 15 Jan 2013 17:51:15 43,088 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Forever War is one of my favourite books, Ridley Scott directing it is rather disappointing to hear. I hope it stays in development hell.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Oh-Bollox 15 Jan 2013 17:53:04 5,198 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    whatfruit wrote:
    Someone was syaing that they have been enjoying the sci-fi of the 70's and 80's, check out the brilliant 1971 Punishment Park by Peter Watkins in which social radicals are hunted down like game across the desert by mute authorties.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suh2r2ojP3I
    Ace film.
  • BinaryBob101 15 Jan 2013 17:57:13 22,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    MetalDog wrote:
    Is Only Forward the one with the herds of white goods? I liked that a lot.
    Yeah, that's the badger, it's a brilliant, brilliant book, very funny and very dark. Spares is worth a read too, but it's not quite up to the same standard.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 17:58:17 15-01-2013

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:

• kalel 15 Jan 2013 17:59:19 86,904 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Another book I've now bought.
  • disusedgenius 15 Jan 2013 18:00:51 5,272 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ...for a second there I thought it was a book about white goats, badgers and spores. :(

/cancels pre-order
  • BinaryBob101 15 Jan 2013 18:10:56 22,635 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's far more fucked up than that.

Heh, think you'll enjoy it Kal.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 18:11:40 15-01-2013

Sir_Walter_Rally wrote:

• Bremenacht 15 Jan 2013 22:40:51 17,777 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Oooh, can satire make for truly great sci-fi? Or does there need to be something aspirational and wide-eyed in there too?
    Well, the whole idea of making any kind of judgement of "the best" is nonsense as we all know. There's always a case why one thing can be considered better than another. I don't see why something being satirical should nullify a case though.

You could argue the true purpose of sci-fi is to subversively demonstrate the follies and shortcomings of the world we live in, as opposed to being aspiring to a world we could live in.
    Not my cup of tea (and rather late to the party) but

Sleeper?.

Edited by Bremenacht at 22:42:23 15-01-2013
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 00:03:51
    I have a soft spot for Ringworld. I known its not that articulate or particular discursive on social commentary.

Oh, and it really lacks any particular arc as a standalone novel...

And Louis Wu would obviously have to be Tom Cruise.

Wait, what was I saying? I /o\

Edit:: Consider Phlebas has been optioned ever since it was first published. Sadly, I don't think Hollywood could do The Culture justice.

Edited by HurbleBurble at 00:06:08 16-01-2013
  • localnotail 16 Jan 2013 00:54:09 23,093 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'm still patiently waiting for Peter Jackson to make The Chrysalids :(

Jeff Noon had a new book out last summer, Channel Skin. Haven't had a chance to read it yet, but love his previous work.

A strange game. The only winning move is not to play.

• PearOfAnguish 17 Jan 2013 11:03:43 7,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Picked up Horns and Mardock Scramble.

My snap judgement based on the first couple of pages of each: Horns seems darkly witty, nice writing style. Next on my reading list. Mardock Scramble...I think maybe something was lost in translation, the prose is a little awkward and it's trying too hard to ape Gibson's style.

HurbleBurble wrote:
    Edit:: Consider Phlebas has been optioned ever since it was first published. Sadly, I don't think Hollywood could do The Culture justice.
    What a lot of these properties need is to be turned into TV shows rather than compressing their stories into 2 hours of movie. The Culture series given the kind of money and passion lavished on, say, Battlestar Galactica or The Walking Dead could be special.
  • Deleted user 17 January 2013 11:54:29
    meme wrote:
    Where do we stand on Hitchhiker's Guide? That ostensibly has almost no rules or logic (one could even argue that's a large point of the story), so I'm wondering if we'd identify that as sci-fi or not.

Of course, it's also comedy which makes genre comparisons mostly meaningless anyway.
    I think so, its main idea is that we are nothing in a big speck of all things, and trying to get arthur dent little head round that. In the end we are really nothing, but have a consience to delibrate over that fact. so yeah i stick in with sci fi.
  • PearOfAnguish 19 Mar 2013 13:15:04 7,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    There's this new SF movie, shame it looks pretty bad:

Ropey script? Cliched characters and plot? Zombie/rage monsters? BWAAAHH horn noise in the trailer? Check check check check.
  • Mr-Brett 19 Mar 2013 13:30:55 12,759 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Watching that just made me want a decent Metro 2033 film.

Portable view - Never forget.

• LeoliansBro 19 Mar 2013 14:05:46 43,746 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    BWAAAHH horn noise in the trailer?
    I'm so thoroughly sick of this as a shortcut to 'future intellect of vast magnitude', let alone the 'it's a po faced sci fi film with gruesome death and stuff' it's now become.

• PearOfAnguish 19 Mar 2013 14:30:53 7,201 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me BWAAAHHHH too BWAAHHHHH it's BWAAAAAHHH really BWAAHHHHHHHHHH overplayed.

BWAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
  • pauleyc 19 Mar 2013 14:33:06 4,447 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bill Paxton - killed on-screen by a Terminator, an Alien, a Predator and now apparently also a rage/zombie monster.
  • Page

of 4 First / Last

Next