AVG PC Tune Up

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • -cerberus- 15 Jan 2013 10:42:21 2,465 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Gave the trial version of AVG PC Tune Up a go yesterday on my two year old workstation. Damn, a good clean up does wonders... But I was wondering, are there free and reliable alternatives? If so, I'd like to hear your recommendations.

"You see it too? For me, it's always like this..."
    (Angela Orosco - Silent Hill 2)

• Deleted user 15 January 2013 10:45:52
    Avast, MalwareBytes and CCleaner are all you should ever need. Then get Google Chrome installed and Adblock Plus and you're good to go for life.
  • -cerberus- 15 Jan 2013 10:55:10 2,465 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Thanks for the quick reply, will most definitely look into those. I've been a Firefox user for many years now and AdBlock Plus is installed as well.
    Before posting this thread I of course did a quick Google search and one of the most recurring recommendations seems to be Glary Utilities. Anybody tried this one?

• Deleted user 15 January 2013 10:58:43
    I used to swear by AVG but it got way too fussy and resource-hungry so Avast seemed a much better alternative.

I used to use Firefox exclusively too, but after 6 months or so of use it would always develop massive memory leaks and run like dog-shit. Google Chrome is great. Especially if you link your sign into it using a Google account and have your favourites and cookies/logins follow you around. Which is essential, if like me, you use many different computers in many different places.

Never heard of Glary Utilities but I also discovered a program the other day called REVO Uninstaller which is great at removing shite that control panel seems unable to.
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Jan 2013 11:00:22 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd recommend Autoruns for looking to see what stupid, useless crap is in your startup sequence and turning it all off.
  • nickthegun 15 Jan 2013 11:08:54 58,905 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just so you know, MS Security Essentials, while better than nothing, lost its AV-TEST Labs certification after picking up just 64% of known threats compared to an industry baseline of 89%.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• monkman76 15 Jan 2013 11:13:19 3,993 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Still, accidents happen.. What's currently considered the best free AV then?
  • monkman76 15 Jan 2013 11:16:36 3,993 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.av-test.org/en/tests/home-user/windows-7/novdec-2012/

Surely McAfee and particularly Norton scoring so highly will make Dirtbox's head explode?
  • -cerberus- 15 Jan 2013 11:19:17 2,465 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Admittedly, I don't really know how to properly maintain a computer other than often running an Anti-Virus program and defragmenting my HDD regularly. I recently built my own gaming rig and I want it to run as smooth as humanly possible, at all times. I don't want it to become like my workstation which, before testing the AVG PC Tune Up program, ran like a slug.

Edited by -cerberus- at 12:13:29 15-01-2013

• Whizzo 15 Jan 2013 11:19:23 43,038 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Blerk wrote:
    I'd recommend Autoruns for looking to see what stupid, useless crap is in your startup sequence and turning it all off.
    Hadn't heard of that before, I use a lot of Sysinternals stuff like PSEXEC all the time too, very handy.

This space left intentionally blank.

• graysonavich 15 Jan 2013 11:22:34 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Just so you know, MS Security Essentials, while better than nothing, lost its AV-TEST Labs certification after picking up just 64% of known threats compared to an industry baseline of 89%.
    Good to know. It's all I've used in 4 or 5 years. Probably time to change the locks.

Edited by graysonavich at 11:22:59 15-01-2013
  • Blerk Moderator 15 Jan 2013 11:35:05 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MSE's scores there are something of an eyebrow-raiser. Last time we ran through this kind of thing it was right up there with the best.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Jan 2013 11:36:17 16,854 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Good to know. It's all I've used in 4 or 5 years. Probably time to change the locks.
    Same here, I've been using it for ages after it found a rather nasty USB key based virus that was swinging around my systems. Hard to know what to use if not that as Avast, AVG and the other free ones have been dump for ages.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Blerk Moderator 15 Jan 2013 11:41:41 48,225 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AVG scores highest out of the freebies on there, which is somewhat surprising as it was awful at one point.

This is only one set of tests, I suppose. Might go and have a look at some others, see if they all agree.
  • kalel 15 Jan 2013 11:53:00 86,420 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I didn't know MSE had become crap. Last time I checked it was shitting all over AVG and Avast.

I love it when people say "I USE BLAH BLAH BLAH AND ITS GREAT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM".

They're all great when you've never had a problem, and they'll all stop you having a problem most of the time. It's that one time they don't work is when you know how good they are.
  • RobTheBuilder 15 Jan 2013 12:04:33 6,521 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @graysonavich Amusing given I was criticised the other week for recommending Avast over MSSE!
  • graysonavich 15 Jan 2013 12:19:17 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Oh gosh! I hope I wasn't too rude.
  • Short-Round 15 Jan 2013 12:38:59 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HairyArse wrote:
    but I also discovered a program the other day called REVO Uninstaller which is great at removing shite that control panel seems unable to.
    Discovered this a couple months back as well. Also does some of the stuff ccleaner does, and also lets you organise (switch off) your autorun things.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next