HMV set to enter administration Page 4

• Page

of 16 First / Last

• Trowel 15 Jan 2013 09:04:30 18,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    there prices aren't...oh I can't be bothered, waste of time when people say he.
    The high street is important, it effects countless other economic things but my time seems to be wasted attempting to explain.
    Well I'm in no rush, and I appreciate that it will take you some time, given you'll have to rewrite several fundamental economic principles, so you come back to us just as soon as you're able to.
  • beastmaster 15 Jan 2013 09:04:48 11,807 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They were recently doing 5 blu-rays for 30. Not a bad offer at all but considering a lot of these are available on Netflix US, it's hard to find 5 that I was really after.

I'm sure someone will come in and save them and they won't go the way of Comet.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• Deleted user 15 January 2013 09:11:14
    Trowel wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    there prices aren't...oh I can't be bothered, waste of time when people say he.
    The high street is important, it effects countless other economic things but my time seems to be wasted attempting to explain.
    Well I'm in no rush, and I appreciate that it will take you some time, given you'll have to rewrite several fundamental economic principles, so you come back to us just as soon as you're able to.
    No it is fine, I have never noticed you on the forum before and you are clearly a prick.
  • TheSaint 15 Jan 2013 09:19:58 14,724 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Our local shopping centre had a pop-up HMV over Christmas. The prices were as crazy as ever even in the sale but it was interesting to see these stores trying something new.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 09:27:19
    Not sure all of this is entirely necessary.

Jeepers. Really?
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 09:28:30
    Seems to be allowed in most other threads, what makes this one so special? :D
  • shamblemonkee 15 Jan 2013 09:29:44 14,601 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So, what's the deal for claiming money back off gift cards?
  • sport 15 Jan 2013 09:30:26 12,798 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fucking prying mods!
  • Aretak 15 Jan 2013 09:31:03 10,374 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Contact your card company (or get whoever bought it to do so). You won't be getting it back any other way, unless HMV find a buyer.
  • Jeepers 15 Jan 2013 09:31:12 13,257 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Getting on to your credit card supplier, I think. It'll be a long wait to get your money back from the administrators, assuming you get any back at all.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 09:33:00
    As I understand it, it's actually the supermarkets that have totally fucked the likes of HMV and Game, not online retailers.
  • LeoliansBro 15 Jan 2013 09:34:57 44,748 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Their sale and leaseback property model a few years ago did them no favours either.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Whizzo 15 Jan 2013 09:42:18 43,275 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Jeepers wrote:
    shamblemonkee wrote:
    Getting on to your credit card supplier, I think. It'll be a long wait to get your money back from the administrators, assuming you get any back at all.
    Almost certainly won't get anything back on gift cards (unless they get bought up), which is why they're bad presents and people should just give them the gift certificates the Bank of England (Scottish and NI banks do their own versions) instead, they're universally accepted.

Edited by Whizzo at 09:43:25 15-01-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• rickalish 15 Jan 2013 09:43:54 1,831 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm surprised they didn't go the way of Music Zone years ago,
  • Dougs 15 Jan 2013 09:44:29 69,119 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Aren't most stores staying open in the interim though? So just get in ASAP and buy any old tat.
  • mcmonkeyplc 15 Jan 2013 09:52:07 39,521 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There are no HMV's near me anyway. High Street retail entertainment is pretty much dead.

Digital distribution is the future.

Which is why we need a fucking single market for digital distribution MR EU! HURRY THE FUCK UP!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• boo 15 Jan 2013 09:53:49 11,899 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm going to wander over to the Oxford St HMV megastore at lunchtime to see if there are any bargains.

The advantage that shops will always have over an online presence is browsing. The numbers of things I've found in stores by just wandering about and looking at CDs that caught my eye, which just doesn't happen with Amazon etc. Sure, they'll do the 'other customers who bought X also looked at Y' but it's not even close.

Plus the staff. Ok, my local HMV is run by a bunch of YTS escapees who are great at saying 'Can I help you?' 17 times in a 10 minute visit, but when you actually ask them any music related question more taxing than 'Who's number 1 at the moment?', they're baffled.

But the Oxford St staff were awesome. There was one guy who only ever seemed to work in the basement. Looked like a refugee from a 70's blues band, and had a slightly twitchy way about him. But get talking to him about music, and he was (is?) an amazing fount of knowledge. Got some great recommendations from him over the years.

Just Another Lego Blog

• Mageme 15 Jan 2013 09:57:30 2,043 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm quite sad about this. I remember spending a lot of time at the HMV on Oxford Street when I was studying in London and on one occasion queuing up a whole day for a Hideo Kojima MGS signing.

Nowadays it's a place of solace (even though I'm guilty of not buying anything) when on shopping trips with the wife.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• Jeepers 15 Jan 2013 10:00:44 13,257 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • disusedgenius 15 Jan 2013 10:01:55 5,528 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm sure the Oxford Street one will still be around anyway. The big HMVs seem quite different beasts to the smaller High Street stores.
  • Deleted user 15 January 2013 10:03:12
    |Why they are fucked:

"The three greatest threats to HMV are, online retailers, downloadable music and supermarkets discounting loss leader product". Suddenly I realised the MD had stopped the meeting and was visibly angry. "I have never heard such rubbish", he said, "I accept that supermarkets are a thorn in our side but not for the serious music, games or film buyer and as for the other two, I don't ever see them being a real threat, downloadable music is just a fad and people will always want the atmosphere and experience of a music store rather than online shopping".
  • Dougs 15 Jan 2013 10:05:46 69,119 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Crikey, that is worrying. No wonder.
  • Deckard1 15 Jan 2013 10:06:49 29,192 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    downloadable music is just a fad

Yeah well done with that

Fish fingers and chips pretty straight forward.

• ED209 15 Jan 2013 10:10:34 505 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Spanky wrote:
    I went in for a copy of Prometheus on a retarded whim
    Why can't you just take the bus like everyone else, you SICK FUCK!

Samantha Janus?

• chopsen 15 Jan 2013 10:11:27 16,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    " people will always want the atmosphere and experience of a music store "

is probably true to an extent, in that there are going to be some people out there who would appreciate this experience and form a market. However they are probably going to appreciate smaller independent record stores rather than HMV's aircraft-carrier with shelves model. (and even the indies are struggling)
  • MetalDog 15 Jan 2013 10:11:32 23,879 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nothing short of a catastrophic sun spot, critical energy crisis or widescale nuclear war is going to stop the move to digital domination of all media - and if any of those happen we'll have more pressing concerns than popping to the shops to pick up a single.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• sport 15 Jan 2013 10:11:43 12,798 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Read more of the article though - that meeting took place just after the dotcom bubble burst in early noughties. That's over a decade ago, the Internet has changed quite since then.
  • chopsen 15 Jan 2013 10:15:12 16,211 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    In a roundabout way he's right. Give it another 5 years and people will all be streaming music. I don't have a single mp3 on my hard drive anymore.

Although that's obviously not what he means.
    I think there will always be a market for owning tangible goods. It's just it's going to be an increasingly small market. Probably you'll still the get the special collectors editions with fancy packaging and deluxe book etc. But just buying a standard CD of some standard chart bollocks, or even most music consumed by most people? The only reason physical media exists for them is that there was never an alternative in the first place.
  • ED209 15 Jan 2013 10:18:22 505 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    sport wrote:
    That's over a decade ago, the Internet has changed quite since then.
    Do they still have pictures of naked ladies spreading their retarded whims?

/checks

Phew, it's not changed for me!

Samantha Janus?

• Page

of 16 First / Last