HMV set to enter administration Page 12

  • Page

    of 16 First / Last

  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 16:23:40
    Yeah, it's started to balance out fairly nicely. It was rough going for a long time, where shit begat shit begat shit, but consumers eventually savvied up and changed their buying habits to cope. Plus that only really affects indie stuff anyway. If you only stick to mainstream reads, virtually nothing has changed. All it's done is open up a completely different section of the market, rather than replacing the one that's there.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 16:24:06
    And other services rise to help people find good things that they're interested in. Anyone that thinks music options and quality is less now than it was 30+ years ago because of downloads doesn't understand the basics of the industry they claim to love.

    Same applies for books.
  • RichieTenenbaum 16 Jan 2013 16:52:26 2,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    http://mkdo.co/post/26352263455/radiohead-wouldnt-exist-without-early-major-label

    And for those saying spotify is great

    http://m.pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

    Basically, it's no suprise to me that as digital has risen, so has the homogeny of mainstream music.

    Also people who illegally download fuck me right off. They have this entitlement. Like they are owed this shit, and go after any artist that protests about it. Saying they should just do it for the love and they're money grabbing cunts. The artist made the thing. It's THEM who decide how to offer it.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 16:55:27
    Digital has had little impact on mainstream anyway, the buying habits of people who stuck entirely to chart stuff hasn't really changed.
  • kinky_mong 16 Jan 2013 16:56:30 10,286 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    It's a simple fact that digital music distribution is taking power away from record companies. Anyone can release music now through things like bandcamp and even itunes (booo evil evil itunes and them making it simple and possible for anyone to make money out of selling their own music booo boo booo). It's a similar story for Kindle and ebooks.

    There are valid rational arguments against digital music. You're not making any of them.
    One being that while the advent of digital means anyone can get their music heard by lots of people, it now takes stupefying levels of digging to find the gems amongst the huge amount of crap out there.

    There's something to be said for having some form of quality filter between artist and listener.
    I think the cream rises to the top in most instances. There's untold amount of self-published shit on Kindle store these days, but there are still quality books among them that get some traction and word gets around, and these are often books that for whatever reason couldn't get published by traditional means.
    Fair point.

    I think I see it the other way as the digital explosion happened when I was a keen DJ, and over the space of a few years my opinion went from "This is great, it's so much cheaper than vinyl and now I can take hundreds of tracks to a gig rather than a few dozen" to "Great, here's another truckload of badly written, poorly mastered crap to trawl through in the hope of finding something half decent".

    It was also pretty much the death of that joy of finding a great rare song after months or even years of hunting for it, but that's more of an over-sentimental collector's issue.

    All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 17:03:12
    That Radiohead article is a load of cock. It basically says "without tours they wouldn't be successful". Yeah, that was true in the 90s, but it's not really true now, is it? Music production is cheap and you've got decent bands rising to relative popularity (not number one selling millionaires, but enough to generate a mid-listing fanbase) off the back of Youtube clips. The internet is the new tour circuit.

    Edited by meme at 17:03:56 16-01-2013
  • ZuluHero 16 Jan 2013 17:07:14 4,147 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Have they started selling stock off yet? I got some nice bargains as I picked the bones of Woolworth's corpse.
  • RichieTenenbaum 16 Jan 2013 17:10:28 2,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    meme wrote:
    That Radiohead article is a load of cock. It basically says "without tours they wouldn't be successful". Yeah, that was true in the 90s, but it's not really true now, is it? Music production is cheap and you've got decent bands rising to relative popularity (not number one selling millionaires, but enough to generate a mid-listing fanbase) off the back of Youtube clips. The internet is the new tour circuit.
    Well it's written by a current working musician.

    The Internet is not the new tour circuit at all. Tours drive sales/listens. The Internet is like vomiting into a void.
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 17:14:09 59,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tours and associated merch do earn money and the internet is the thing that facilitates that.

    Its the reason why smaller bands are so intertwined with their fans. They use twitter, myspace, youtube and their own sites to give people a sense of ownership and the fans then go out and buy all the hoodies and posters they can lay their hands on.

    You have to be at the beck and call of your fanbase or someone else will. So, yeah, its a bit of both.

    SOURCE: a few friends in A+R and various bands.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 17:19:13
    I have a mate in a small band in the UK who got his song played in the background on Jersey Shore randomly. Without internet exposure and his songs being on Youtube/Soundcloud/whatever that wouldn't have happened. Now he has a reasonable US fanbase.
  • RichieTenenbaum 16 Jan 2013 17:21:20 2,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Tours and associated merch do earn money and the internet is the thing that facilitates that.

    Its the reason why smaller bands are so intertwined with their fans. They use twitter, myspace, youtube and their own sites to give people a sense of ownership and the fans then go out and buy all the hoodies and posters they can lay their hands on.

    You have to be at the beck and call of your fanbase or someone else will. So, yeah, its a bit of both.

    SOURCE: a few friends in A+R and various bands.
    But there's something horrible about turning bands into t shirt merchants.
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 17:22:32 59,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In an ideal world, yes, people would stand on street corners, giving away their music while people showered them with goods and services but these people need to eat, bro.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • RichieTenenbaum 16 Jan 2013 17:24:20 2,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    In an ideal world they would press a record and I would buy it in a shop for money. Possibly on the recommendation of a freckled girl.
  • nickthegun 16 Jan 2013 17:25:36 59,912 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So you buying an record is ethically better than you going to a gig and buying a t-shirt?

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 17:27:45
    nickthegun wrote:
    In an ideal world, yes, people would stand on street corners, giving away their music while people showered them with goods and services but these people need to eat, bro.
    Yeah. Ironically, it's never been easier to earn a decent living in entertainment mediums. You just have to be dedicated and talented. I know fuckloads of middle-list authors who exist solely on self-publishing, a few of whom are close to hitting six figure yearly incomes. If reducing the role of labels or publishers means we trade off one superband/author/whatever for several smaller one, I say that's a good thing.

    Edited by meme at 17:28:06 16-01-2013
  • kinky_mong 16 Jan 2013 17:29:14 10,286 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    In an ideal world they would press a record and I would buy it in a shop for money. Possibly on the recommendation of a freckled girl.
    With the majority of that money going into the pockets of the store, the distributor, the pressing plant, the marketing team, the label, the agent and maybe a few other middle men with the tiny pittance that's left going to the artist.

    Yeah definitely more ideal than the current situation.

    All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

  • Mr-Brett 16 Jan 2013 17:29:23 12,793 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Tours and associated merch do earn money and the internet is the thing that facilitates that.

    Its the reason why smaller bands are so intertwined with their fans. They use twitter, myspace, youtube and their own sites to give people a sense of ownership and the fans then go out and buy all the hoodies and posters they can lay their hands on.

    You have to be at the beck and call of your fanbase or someone else will. So, yeah, its a bit of both.

    SOURCE: a few friends in A+R and various bands.
    But there's something horrible about turning bands into t shirt merchants.
    Surely that happened before but it was only the select few that got record contracts and they paid someone else to do it for them.

    Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 17:35:02
    The radiohead article is complete nonsense and ignores the thousands of bands that exist and tour without major label support, it's from a different era before the Internet was mainstream and is an agenda piece written by a nonce like Richie who thinks inaccessibility is a good thing.
  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 17:35:59
    The Internet has nothing to do with the existence of musicians selling their merchandise. That's been going on for decades so getting upset about that is bizzare.

    Edited by Aargh. at 17:38:26 16-01-2013
  • neilqpr 16 Jan 2013 18:04:59 2,849 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HMV Ireland gone as of ten minutes ago according to their twitter account.
  • SYS64738 16 Jan 2013 20:58:46 1,661 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    HMV Ireland gone as of ten minutes ago according to their twitter account.
    Only went shopping there on Sunday. They were actually the cheapest highstreet retailer here compared to the rest, by far best bluray selection, and the staff always friendly and polite.

    Guess I have to start ordering stuff on the web now and wait a week every time until I can play/watch it:(

    PSN: SYS64738_UK

  • Deleted user 16 January 2013 21:24:56
    neilqpr wrote:
    HMV Ireland gone as of ten minutes ago according to their twitter account.
    I would be upset if I had seen this hand written on some parchment. Typed and on a computer screen and I feel NOTHING.
  • Syrette 16 Jan 2013 22:50:22 43,454 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    Also people who illegally download fuck me right off. They have this entitlement. Like they are owed this shit, and go after any artist that protests about it. Saying they should just do it for the love and they're money grabbing cunts.
    A couple of friends/people on the internet being vocal about the above does not mean that everyone who pirates music holds the same beliefs. Millions of people do it, there is no general consensus.

    Personally, I've download music illegally in the past and I'm sure I will in the future. Do I feel entitled to it? No. Do I feel bad for the artist? Yes.

    Now I do buy most of my music, and occasionally will buy it in CD form if I feel I want the physical package (a lot of bands include DVDs and other merch in CD packages, so I often go for them). A lot of my pirating has led to me buying other releases/tickets/merch, not that that excuses it. With Spotify and artists putting a lot of material up for streaming, 'previewing' material I'm not sure I want to pay money for is not as valid an excuse as it used to be.

    Edited by Syrette at 22:51:51 16-01-2013

  • FWB 16 Jan 2013 23:14:18 44,572 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The industry/musicians need to accept the current state. Is it wrong that people copy music? Probably, but a generation is growing up which doesn't think so and the law can't deal with it. Best to adapt and find another way of financing yourself... tours, sponsorships, licensing in movies and TV shows. Music won't die, but you might not be able to become as stinking rich as you could before.
  • rudedudejude 17 Jan 2013 01:09:22 2,174 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting streaming article. Since being a paid sub I've barely bought any music except some rare vinyl, haven't had the need with a sub. That and soundcloud cover my listening needs but given the pittance they get I might think twice! Quite shocking.

    Maybe they should be transparent with their royalties to artists, I guess it varies a lot but those numbers are shocking.
  • RichieTenenbaum 17 Jan 2013 07:56:49 2,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    rudedudejude wrote:
    Interesting streaming article. Since being a paid sub I've barely bought any music except some rare vinyl, haven't had the need with a sub. That and soundcloud cover my listening needs but given the pittance they get I might think twice! Quite shocking.

    Maybe they should be transparent with their royalties to artists, I guess it varies a lot but those numbers are shocking.
    Yeah. The end about what he says about Spotify being about capital is really true, and reflective of what things are like today.

    The issue that I have with this adapt or die mentality is that some bands won't adapt. And they'll die. Bands that release lush albums but don't like to gig. Someone like early belle and Sebastian. You know, it limits choice. Some bands might be amazing live, and their records be just kind o promotional material for their live gigs, but some bands don't want to do that. They want to release records. If HMV/FOPP goes where will people buy these records? I really hope that their demise causes loads of independents to spring up, but I don't think it will.

    Edited by RichieTenenbaum at 07:59:20 17-01-2013
  • Deleted user 17 January 2013 08:01:31
    RichieTenenbaum wrote:
    And for those saying spotify is great

    http://m.pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

    The article is just some hack greeting about how little he makes on Spotify. Then saying he thinks Spotify is incredible for music fans. Then he finishes by saying that you can stream his music for free from other sites anyway (somewhat negates the previous tears) . He is a fucking idiot and so are you.
  • RichieTenenbaum 17 Jan 2013 08:12:13 2,209 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's one of Galaxie 500. 'Hack' is not a word I would associate with him. Galaxie 500!
  • Page

    of 16 First / Last

Log in or register to reply