Edge magazine hits the 250th edition

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • barchetta 12 Jan 2013 10:31:00 1,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The latest Edge just dropped through my letterbox. Hard to believe I've been buying and hoarding it since 1993.

Although I guess I get 90% of my info from the web these days I still love opening a new magazine and idly leafing through whilst drinking a cuppa. My web browsing tends to be rapid 'hit and run' updates (since this primarily happens during work hours), so the slower pace I find when reading print material is a rare treat.

Not sure I'll be doing it for much longer though as the tablet editions are getting quite some coverage and though I grant them some respect with 'interactive' features, I'm not sold on them whilst print is available.

Can't say I'm a fan of the newest Edge print format - the previous, larger format editions allowed some breathing space for the art direction. Still buying - but maybe that is simply a sign of OCD....

Your Computer, ZZAP64, ACE, The Games Machine were all staples through my schooling, with mags passed around and poured over during wet lunch breaks though it sounds prehistoric when I talk about them to my kids.

How many other still subscribe to a video game magazine? I'm sure it is old skool but, until they disappear completely, I'll always look forward to it dropping onto my footmat.

Edited by barchetta at 10:31:46 12-01-2013
  • spamdangled 12 Jan 2013 10:33:57 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I sub to Edge and GamesTM, they're the only magazines I trust really. I used to get PC Gamer and PC Zone years ago but the disc on the cover stopped being justification for the price around the time broadband became widely available.

Oh, and if you're looking for a home for some of your older issues, i can accommodate them...

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:29:59 12-01-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• creepylizard 12 Jan 2013 10:47:20 786 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've been buying edge since the...3rd issue, I think it was was? I remember it had Rise of the robots on the cover.
    I still think it's the best magazine around. They have always been a little precious and up their own collective arses occasionally but I think I like that as well and I agree that there still isn't anything quite like actually opening a physical magazine.
    Gamestm isn't too bad
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 10:49:15
    Edge is the best magazine, that is all.
  • MrTomFTW Moderator 12 Jan 2013 10:50:17 38,210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is this out now? I stopped subscribing a year or so ago, but I'll pick this up.

Follow me on Twitter: @MrTom
    Voted by the community "Best mod" 2011, 2012 and 2013.

• beastmaster 12 Jan 2013 10:55:45 11,418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pepsipop wrote:
    This. That is all.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• barchetta 12 Jan 2013 10:55:47 1,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I had to dump the first 30 issues of GamesTM last weekend due to water damage in the loft. I only lasted that long with the magazine but it was a shame to see them go to the recycling.

Edge mags (and ACE, some ST mags and The Games Machine) are boxed up and safe. My girlfriend at the time of EDGE turning 10 went to WHSmiths and made the assistant find all 10 covers and promptly bought them (clearly recognising my hoarding instinct years before I did). Suffice to say, we've been married for 3yrs and have 2 kids. :)

Edited by barchetta at 10:56:22 12-01-2013
  • ToxicdeepEyes 12 Jan 2013 10:55:53 62 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I still sub to Edge. Though I doubt I will renew. The past couple of months I have been especially disappointed in the Ad/Picture to content Ratio.

It still annoys me the interview they had with one EA exec. Exciting I thought. Oh it is 4 pages - 2 pages of which was a double page spread of his head - with no writing, and then the following 2 pages were half pages as they had again to accommodate a picture of his head I believe.

With sites like EG, RPS, Escapist and all the video makers on youtube such as Classic Game room, Zeistgeist review etc etc etc I am finding it hard to justify the price.
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 11:00:47
    I can justify the price as the writing is consistently of a higher standard than of any website. They also have the best features in the industry by a long shot.
  • barchetta 12 Jan 2013 11:04:19 1,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nice feature on top devcos this month - particularly Valve - though it may not cover the CES2013/Steambox stuff.

They certainly have years of kudos they can leverage to be able to get great access to otherwise secretive corners of the industry. It is the articles, as opposed the reviews, that keep me interested.
  • JonFE 12 Jan 2013 11:05:40 1,448 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I, also, subscribe to Edge and my son is subscribed to the Official Nintendo Magazine (I know :redface: I should be ashamed). I used to buy a lot of computer-related magazines, been a long time reader of PC Gamer (issue 1 onwards), PC Format, Computer Arts etc., but stopped some years ago.

It's getting hard to justify buying printed magazines, since you can find any up-to-date info on the web without cost and effort, but, on the other hand, the romantic in me finds a certain charm in flipping through the pages while in the bog :p
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 11:08:36
    I still use edge as the goto for reviews. Only strict critics in the industry. EG pretty good but too hit and miss....far cry 3 10/10

W.T.F....
  • beastmaster 12 Jan 2013 11:10:40 11,418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    What about the build quality of the magazine? :-)

Edge still manage to snaggle some great exclusives. There's been quite a few times when I've looked at the cover and I've had no idea what the game was.

Subscribe and I don't think I'll be stopping ay time soon.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• NOSAVIOUR 12 Jan 2013 11:11:01 2,804 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Far Cry 3 10/10 was bang on. Best game of 2012 for me and one of the only games ever I couldn't stop grinning about when playing.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 12 Jan 2013 11:14:00 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Don't like Edge tbh.
  • Deleted user 12 January 2013 11:26:22
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Far Cry 3 10/10 was bang on. Best game of 2012 for me and one of the only games ever I couldn't stop grinning about when playing.
    One of the very very rare times I bought a game and after six or so hours thought 'sod this, it is terrible, time to cut my losses and trade in whilst will get good money back'

That says a lot as I have only done that twice before and I must have bought 200 games.
  • mal 12 Jan 2013 11:30:27 22,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm amazed Edge didn't get more flack out of the recent Rob Florence doodad wotsit. 90% of the previews I remember reading have the stench of PR involvment running through them, and quite a few smell of paid-for press junkets. Are they really whiter than white?

Course, I gave up reading previews a long time ago, because their hit-to-shit ratio really wasn't all that good. Once they got rid of Ste Curran and Mr Biffo left to pastures anew they didn't even have any worthwhile 'name' writers, so that just left the game reviews and the uh, book reviews. The game reviews did give a different perspective to most other sources, but that wasn't worth the cover price alone.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• spamdangled 12 Jan 2013 12:31:39 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    NOSAVIOUR wrote:
    Edge didn't give FC3 a 10, they gave it an 8.

Edit: NVM, you were talking about the EG review.

Edited by darkmorgado at 12:32:18 12-01-2013

3DS: 4055-2781-2855 Xbox: spamdangled PSN: dark_morgan Wii U: Spamdangle Steam: spamdangled

• boo 12 Jan 2013 12:54:22 11,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Edge did 10 different covers for their 10th anniversary edition.
    I have one of each cover, still sealed, plus an 11th copy for reading.
    I'm convinced that in about 20 years I'll be able to sell them to one of you lot for an absolute fortune, and then retire to the Bahamas.

Either that or Mrs Boo will chuck them all out while having 'a clear out'.

Just Another Lego Blog

• jonsaan 12 Jan 2013 12:57:40 25,352 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    One man's ten is another man's trade in.

FCUTA!

• ibenam 12 Jan 2013 13:11:47 1,426 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I subscribed to PSM but December was their final issue. They basically said no one wants to pay for a physical mag anymore.

Pretty sad as, like barchetta said, I enjoyed the slower pace reading of a magazine.

Sometimes the review themes were very similar to EG so much that it seemed a copy and paste job but overall it was a great mag.
  • NOSAVIOUR 12 Jan 2013 13:41:34 2,804 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Pepsipop wrote:
    This. That is all.
    This and that. That is all.
  • spamdangled 12 Jan 2013 13:46:27 27,355 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So are they doing something special for the 250th issue then?

They did the 200 games one for the 200th issue, and the 10 covers for the 10th anniversary.

Edited by darkmorgado at 13:46:41 12-01-2013

• MrWonderstuff 12 Jan 2013 13:52:08 1,933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I used to buy PC Gamer and PC Zone religiously for years but when I jumped to console playing that stopped. Edge was a regular purchase too. Back in PC gaming land and I'm tempted to get PC Gamer again. OOOhh the times.

Oh and if anyone remembers Culky from the PC Zone coverdisc he currently runs a healthfood shop here in Malmesbury and his name is Stuart. Had some good chats with him about his time with the mag.
  • TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:56:01 3,107 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It just seems like a total waste of money when the same info is online elsewhere, and the reviews themselves go up reasonably quickly.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 12 Jan 2013 13:57:53 3,107 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    boo wrote:
    Edge did 10 different covers for their 10th anniversary edition.
    I have one of each cover, still sealed, plus an 11th copy for reading.
    I'm convinced that in about 20 years I'll be able to sell them to one of you lot for an absolute fortune, and then retire to the Bahamas.

Either that or Mrs Boo will chuck them all out while having 'a clear out'.
    I have all sorts of fairly hard to come by special editions of magazines and comics from about that time frame ago, aren't worth much more than half the cover price these days, even mint. :(

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Whizzo 12 Jan 2013 14:08:21 43,124 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've never had a website dump feathers in my lap so that's something far superior to print.

This space left intentionally blank.

• boo 12 Jan 2013 14:11:55 11,783 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, but wasn't that just a free gift with your copy of Pigeon Fancier's Monthly?

Just Another Lego Blog

• Whizzo 12 Jan 2013 14:18:55 43,124 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No it was a shit 3DO advert in Edge, it's also exactly the same time that my regularly buying of Edge came to an end, I still can't believe anyone thought that was a good idea.

The irony was heavy in the 3DO advertising.

Edited by Whizzo at 14:25:14 12-01-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• jonsaan 12 Jan 2013 14:28:54 25,352 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to, and still do to an extent, love mags. The problem with website reviews is that I am drawn like a magnet to the comments section. It's an awful place to end up, but it's always there pulling you in. As a result I rarely take the time to read the actual article properly. This is why mags are probably better. You have a letters section to take care of the mud slinging and moaning in just a couple of pages.

Edited by jonsaan at 14:29:27 12-01-2013

FCUTA!

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous