The Witcher 3

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • pauleyc 11 Jan 2013 10:48:53 4,383 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No solid news yet, the announcement is expected on the 5th of February as suggested by the "secret" message in the Cyberpunk 2077 trailer. Initial rumours mention the obvious PC version and some vague next-gen consoles. The dev team hiring is supposedly still ongoing so probably a release in the later parts of 2014.

The trailer message specifically mentions an open world setting which would presumably mean a departure from the large yet ultimately limited chapters as used in the previous games. So, Skyrim with a better climate and a more colourful palette?
  • pauleyc 1 Feb 2013 16:11:30 4,383 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /lonely bump

This is apparently a first screenshot from the game. The REDengine 3 logo is interesting; version 1 was used for TW2 on PC, version 2 was TW2 on the Xbox so v3 for TW3 seems legit...
  • Deleted user 1 February 2013 16:20:51
    Bring it on. I loved witcher 2, always been a huge bioware fan but this blew biowares latest games out the water.

To be honest would rather not open world though, it works because it is story focused and has wonderful characters. Open world would weaken its best features.
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2013 16:23:23 5,178 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Edited by thenastypasty at 16:24:09 01-02-2013
  • thenastypasty 1 Feb 2013 16:23:24 5,178 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It won't be as open world as say skyrim, but having larger areas without damaging the story telling is something I'm all for.

Edited by thenastypasty at 16:23:44 01-02-2013
  • THFourteen 1 Feb 2013 16:29:24 31,781 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hope it's top down again.
  • greg_wha 1 Feb 2013 18:00:19 163 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Screenshot is lovely.
  • Syrette 1 Feb 2013 22:50:23 41,792 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    NEED IN MY LIFE

• fletch7100 5 Feb 2013 06:00:05 6,158 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/02/04/march-cover-reveal-witcher-3-wild-hunt.aspx

" This standalone sequel takes the fascinating stories and characters, non-linear plotlines, and difficult decisions that the franchise is known for and puts them all in an open world 30 times larger than the previous game"

Release date 2014
  • Jmek 5 Feb 2013 07:16:18 1,293 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thank God for that. I was afraid we wouldn't see this for ages because of Cyberpunk. I'm Just playing The Witcher on PC for the first time, and it's awesome!
  • neilka 5 Feb 2013 08:19:40 14,938 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IT HAST GONE EVERYWHERE MY LIEGE
  • SClaw 5 Feb 2013 08:37:46 826 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Excited for this.

Witcher 2 had some of the best characters I've ever seen in a game.

Letho was a great "villian", Iorveth a convincing terrorist/freedom fighter who was neither likeable nor hateable and Vernon both admirable for his patriotism and unpleasant for the same reason. It was a brilliantly grey world and a Geralt brilliantly grey protagonist who just sort of seemed to be always get stuck with other people’s problems while not giving that much of a shit.

It also helps that CD Projekt aren’t bastards. I like supporting a developer who seem to care about both their product and customers.
  • dominalien 5 Feb 2013 08:55:05 6,741 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    On the front page now. The open world should considerably change the tone of the game.

PSN: DonOsito

• Deleted user 5 February 2013 11:03:07
    The only bad thing about this news on front page is it is a game I will have to buy a new console for. Expensive.

If they pull off the open world with the quality of skyrim and keep the quality of character and story it would be the perfect game.
  • midnight_walker 5 Feb 2013 11:17:46 1,628 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hopefully the half decent laptop I just bought will cut the mustard. If not, this will sell me whichever console it appears on.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 11:24:59
    Notice how the Wii u was brushed under the rug there?
  • Dirtbox 5 Feb 2013 11:32:27 76,314 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    midnight_walker wrote:
    Hopefully the half decent laptop I just bought will cut the mustard. If not, this will sell me whichever console it appears on.
    A half descent desktop struggles with witcher 2.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Rhaegyr 5 Feb 2013 11:40:20 1,109 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    This is going to be a fantastic game, though the prospect of an open world does worry me slightly. One of the main reasons I loved Witcher 2 was the extremely tight focus.

If anyone can do it, CD PROJEKT can.

Can't wait to finish the story after the fantastic cliffhanger ending of the previous title!
  • Shikasama 5 Feb 2013 12:01:42 6,272 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This is going to make all kinds of money and rightfully so.
  • midnight_walker 5 Feb 2013 13:18:43 1,628 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Dirtbox I played it from start to finish on mid/high settings on a Core 2 Duo and GeForce 335m.
  • Dirtbox 5 Feb 2013 13:19:44 76,314 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hardly worth playing imo, it's easily one of the most beautiful games ever.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Armoured_Bear 5 Feb 2013 13:37:05 8,744 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Can't wait for this, I loved The Witcher 2 to bits.
    I'm unsure about the whole openworld thing though...

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• thenastypasty 5 Feb 2013 19:23:42 5,178 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just been reading the press release below and I've highlighted a line which puzzles me, does it mean no more Witcher games or just the end of Geralt's story?

CD Projekt RED has officially announced the title of their next upcoming game: The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Further, they've announced that this, the ultimate game in the series, will also be the final Witcher game from the studio. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt combines CD Projekt RED's trademark decision-based storytelling flair with a living open world larger than any other in modern RPG history.

"The captivating and nonlinear story of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt takes place in a rich, truly open world environment. A world which is thrilling to explore, full of daring adventures, momentous quests, memorable characters, and unique monsters. Players will freely travel through woods, lakes, mountains, cities, and villages. Each region is inhabited by distinct populations with their own customs, legends and problems. The world of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is 30 times bigger than The Witcher 2," said Adam Badowski, head of the studio.

"Imagine playing a dark fantasy game with the same great nonlinear story as in the previous Witcher titles, but now told in a world you can explore freely with no artificial boundaries. The war-ravaged world is so huge that to reach further places you will need to ride a horse or sail a boat to get there. A world where your choices have truly epic consequences. From the development side, this goal is extremely demanding. Our team had to make significant design changes and our tech had to be rebuilt. But we believe that this will lead to a completely new level of nonlinearity and a whole new, richer gaming experience. As a gamer, I would love to play this kind of RPG and I think this is what many players are waiting for. This is our dream come true at CD Projekt RED, and we hope it will be the same for you!" adds Badowski.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the final episode of the award-winning RPG series and the last part of the legend of Geralt of Rivia. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is the most robust and breathtaking game ever created by CD Projekt RED. Open world free-roaming exploration is an adventure in itself as the player will gallop through war-ravaged lands, sail misty waters and track down dangerous beasts for money. An improved combat system will allow players to feel like a real monster-hunter, a witcher who uses his superior senses and fighting skills to survive in a dark fantasy world—while he embarks on a quest to save his loved ones. The new core mechanics of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt immerse the player in the experience completely, with no Quick Time Events, only intuitive RPG gameplay.

Badowski continued, "People may ask if this is really going to be the last Witcher game. Yes, it is. Why? Because we believe that we should end the series on a high note. Technology has progressed to where we can finally tell the story the way we want, with the visuals we want, in the world we imagined. This will be the ultimate fantasy RPG experience, and while we're hardly out of stories to tell, we believe it's time for us to look to new worlds and new horizons to keep pushing the boundaries of what we can create."

For all of those who have never experienced the adventures of Geralt before, this will be their last chance. The game will be accessible all players—those who are fans of the series and those who just love RPGs—thanks to availability on all major high-end platforms and an introduction designed to smoothly introduce all those who visit the world of the Witcher for the first time."

The game will be released in 2014 simultaneously on all high-end platforms. Making use of the same remarkable art direction from The Witcher 2 combined with the support of in-house technology—the recently-announced RPG-oriented REDengine 3—The Witcher 3 will take full advantage of the technical capabilities of modern hardware and will set a new standard for RPG visuals.
  • Deleted user 5 February 2013 19:28:44
    Last in his story arch.
  • thenastypasty 5 Feb 2013 19:34:10 5,178 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That what I made of it, but Kotaku are reporting its the last Witcher game.
  • robthehermit 5 Feb 2013 19:40:42 3,827 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Day 1 purchase for me.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• fletch7100 5 Feb 2013 19:47:21 6,158 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As they said, they want this game to end on a high with everything they want in the game, to tell the story and show the visuals they want. Plus they want to make new IPs, new worlds and stories instead of just continuing to churn out Witcher games.

They will probably make another one, that will probably be for next next gen
  • Vortex808 5 Feb 2013 20:19:27 6,551 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Day 1 purchase for me.
    Indeed.
  • fletch7100 5 Feb 2013 21:07:51 6,158 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The game informer digital version with Witcher 3 is available now to download
  • Zizoo 5 Feb 2013 21:14:13 7,682 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So was the Witcher 2 completely linear? How much so compared to say, Dragon Age?
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous